Running WP8 emulator in a Windows 8.1 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
marcnn

Running WP8 emulator in a Windows 8.1 guest

Post by marcnn »

Hi,

I'm using a Linux host on a daily basis and I can't imagine switching ;) So in order to build for WP8 I set up a Win8.1 Pro virtual machine.

The WP8 emulator requires Hyper-V. Unfortunately, when I go into the features of the guest system, Hyper-V is claimed to be unsupported by the CPU. I have AMD-V/Vt-X enabled, though.

Is there any way to enable Hyper-V in the virtual machine, running on a Linux host?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Running WP8 emulator in a Windows 8.1 guest

Post by socratis »

Short answer: No.
Longer answer: Nested virtualization is not supported by VirtualBox. The "flags" like AMD-V/VT-x are not passed through to the guest VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
marcnn

Post by marcnn »

And can it be done by another virtualization software? Is it planned to be added to VB?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid my answer would be "I don't know" for both your questions.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Legorol

Post by Legorol »

marcnn wrote:And can it be done by another virtualization software? Is it planned to be added to VB?
Yes it can be done by other virtualization software. The free VMware Player and paid VMware Workstation both have options for nested virtualization (Hyper-V in a VM). No, it's not planned to be added to VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Legorol wrote:No, it's not planned to be added to VirtualBox.
? I wasn't aware that the devs had begun announcing their plans for the future?

In addition to not speaking on behalf of Oracle, I also don't think it's our place to give definitive answers about what someone else's software can and can't do. Yes, some versions of VMWare software allegedly have VT-x passthrough to the guest. But, any questions about that should be asked on a VMWare site.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

There does seem to be a habit of some overstepping their bounds.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Legorol

Post by Legorol »

mpack wrote:
Legorol wrote:No, it's not planned to be added to VirtualBox.
? I wasn't aware that the devs had begun announcing their plans for the future?
There have been many threads touching on the issue of nested virtualization. On each occasion, it has been very clearly stated that as there is no interest for such a feature from paying customers at the moment, there are currently no plans to support it. While of course it's not possible for me to foresee the indefinite future, I think it's fine for me to state what the current situation is, as repeatedly stated to me. Currently, it's not planned, and that's all I said.
In addition to not speaking on behalf of Oracle, I also don't think it's our place to give definitive answers about what someone else's software can and can't do. Yes, some versions of VMWare software allegedly have VT-x passthrough to the guest. But, any questions about that should be asked on a VMWare site.
It may not be your place, but I am not affiliated with Oracle or this forum in any capacity, so I hope that your use of "our" wasn't meant to include me. I am just an ordinary user who is free to give any answer to a question, especially when the answer is of a technical nature and is factually correct. I have sufficient first-hand experience using VMware products to post with complete confidence about what they are capable of doing without having to qualify it with "allegedly". Should the OP ask further detailed questions, such as how to set up the features in question in a VMware product, I agree that it should be taken elsewhere. However, pointing him to a different product in itself is not out of place.

The OP has asked if it can be done by another virtualization software, for which the answer is yes, so I pointed him in the right direction. I don't think I have overstepped any bounds with that.
loukingjr wrote:There does seem to be a habit of some overstepping their bounds.
I think such a comment is completely unnecessary and irrelevant. It does not add to the discussion or to the OP's question. Your post, compared to mine, is far more out of place.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Legorol wrote:
loukingjr wrote:There does seem to be a habit of some overstepping their bounds.
I think such a comment is completely unnecessary and irrelevant. It does not add to the discussion or to the OP's question. Your post, compared to mine, is far more out of place.
You're entitled to your opinion, as am I.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Legorol wrote:I hope that your use of "our" wasn't meant to include me.
Provided we are clear on which of us gets sued when such unnecessary assurances prove to be false, then I'm happy. You are of course free to assess such risks on your own behalf. I just wanted to make clear that you do not speak for Oracle, nor any of the mods, volunteers or admins on this site.
eliyanovva

Post by eliyanovva »

Just wanted to add an update: nested virtualization is supported for Virtual Box >=5.0.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

eliyanovva wrote:Just wanted to add an update: nested virtualization is supported for Virtual Box >=5.0.
It is only supported for the special case of VirtualBox being both the host and the nested hypervisor. Nested Hyper-v inside VirtualBox may or may not work, but it isn't officially supported.