XP bluescreen after virtualbox update

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
derPeter

XP bluescreen after virtualbox update

Post by derPeter »

Hi folks

I create a XP Virtualbox on Ubuntu Gutsy with VirtualBox 1.5.6.
If i try to run the same VM on Ubuntu Hardy with VirtualBox 1.6.0. Windows crashs during boot with an bluescreen. I cant read the error number because it imidately reboots.

Any idea what i can do excapt of reinstallation ?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Check the VM settings. It's possible that the IDE Emulation changed from PIIX3 to PIIX4. 1.6.0 uses PIIX4 as default.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Nunnsby

Post by Nunnsby »

I have a copy of the BSOD that I grabbed. I am not sure if it is related to XP Clients only. I am running XP SP2 host with an XP SP2 client.

Weird thing is every 3 or 4 shutdowns it bluescreens, then won't stop doing it. Nothing helps. Bluescreen gives STOP 0x0000007F (the rest all zero's).

I think the vdi driver gets corrupt when shutting down the client. Weird, but that is my take on it. Why . . .

The only thing that works is to reinstall the VirtualBox software on the host. Then it is fine for a while again.

Hope this screen grab helps. Had to Prt Sc on the host whilst this was in the background! :)

Richard

Image here: http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/17 ... oxBSOD.jpg
Vbusy

Post by Vbusy »

Sasquatch wrote:Check the VM settings. It's possible that the IDE Emulation changed from PIIX3 to PIIX4. 1.6.0 uses PIIX4 as default.
Sasquatch is right. I found the same thing moving a Windows2k guest from version 1.5; just changed the new machine's IDE setting to PIIX3 and it worked perfectly on version 1.6. With the default setting I had blue screen on bootup.
Tamale

Post by Tamale »

oh man, thank you guys so much. i was seriously freaked out that my upgrade to hardy broke my vm image until i found this thread... you ROCK

(it was the IDE setting that was flubbed up.. which for novices like myself would probably like to know is under settings - general - advanced - IDE Controller Type)
kidalabama

Re: XP bluescreen after virtualbox update

Post by kidalabama »

i am using acr38t-a1 card reader. and i changed xp professional system and changed ide type from piix4 to piix3. and 0x0000007f blue screen error finished. thank you. :mrgreen:
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: XP bluescreen after virtualbox update

Post by mpack »

No mystery. If you change the IDE chipset on an already installed XP, XP will freak out. Running MergeIDE makes it tolerate IDE changes better, hence may fix the BSOD.

Anyway you are commenting on a 5 year old thread. Time to lock it I think.