Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
sprint

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Post by sprint »

BillG wrote:The situation is still basically the same. The upgrade works if the OS and the "hardware" are in a satisfactory state.

If your system says it cannot be upgraded, then your vm is not up to scratch. Have you read the basic requirements to install Windows? Does the upgrade attempt give you any hints on what the problem might be?
I get a corresponding message which says: "Compatibility Issue: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8. The display manufacturer had not made your display compatible with Windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support". This is the same message I got when trying to upgrade a few months ago. At that time I followed a suggestion in one thread to do a full manual windows 10 install but it was not successful - I need to upgrade vs full install as I am only licensed for upgrade).
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If it is still seeing the VirtualBox graphics adapter I would say that you have not removed the VB guest additions (as discussed back on page 1).
Bill
sprint

Post by sprint »

I've uninstalled guest additions and removed the Virtual Box Graphic Adapter in Device Manager- still no go - still getting "unfortunately this PC is unable to run Windows 10".

Looks like even though I remove the VB Graphics Adapter (with software deletion option), it gets reinstalled on reboot. Does anyone know how I can permanently replace it with the windows default one at least temporarily to allow the upgrade to win10 to occur?

(I can't do a fresh install as I've only go a win8 licence eligible for upgrade).