Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BlueLagoon

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Post by BlueLagoon »

I backedup my VM folders then forced the upgrade to run. It got all the way through but when I logged in to use it a lot of things were screwed.
I did manage to get a new Product Key from the upgrade but when I used it with on a clean W10 guest install W10 said that the Key was blocked and wouldn't activate windows.
Had to restore my 8.1 and continue using that.
sitrucz

Post by sitrucz »

BlueLagoon wrote:I did manage to get a new Product Key from the upgrade but when I used it with on a clean W10 guest install W10 said that the Key was blocked and wouldn't activate windows.
Had to restore my 8.1 and continue using that.
Don't forget the product key is tied to the hardware. I was going to try to test a similar scenario except to blow away my installation and see if it keeps my upgrade. I also grabbed my product key as well.

BTW, my upgrade went as follows from 8.1.

1. Uninstalled Virtualbox Additions.
2. Ran setup from the iso in the cd rom from within 8.1.
3. Upgraded to 10 and successfully activated.
frarie

Post by frarie »

Using the ISO and removing additions before upgrading did the trick for me!

Thanks all for the help.
artspb

Post by artspb »

sitrucz wrote:BTW, my upgrade went as follows from 8.1.

This workaround works for me (Win 7), thanks!
batspeck

Post by batspeck »

NoboBears wrote:To get the "reserve Windows 10" button to work (ie. get around the display incompatible message), delete:

C:\Windows\AppCompat\Appraiser\Telemetry\Appriser.JSON

Restart "Get Windows 10" and should see the "reserve" button.

Or easier: download the W10 iso and install that. In the process of doing that right now.

[Not allowed to post the link to it, too much a newbie, but easy to find]
I erased the above mentioned file (Appriser.JSON) and it didn't work, because I had already reserved my upgrade.. So it says I have still an incompatibility issue, but It can't say what it is in the report, because there is no report available. I guess I've just erased the report...
frarie wrote:Tried to install using MediaCreationTool, downloaded nicely, updated nicely, but during first phase of install:
"Something happened" "The installation of Windows 10 failed".

No error in event log.

I give up for now :P
...And I also tryed this MediaCreationTool... At first, choosing the "Upgrade Now this Machine" option.. It failed... And then I've tried the second option: to create a bootable USB media with the installation files... and got the same "Something Happened" message...
BlueLagoon

Post by BlueLagoon »

Done - nearly.

Uninstalled VB Additions
Upgraded from the ISO
Re-installed VB Additions
Confirmed that it was activated.
Okay, Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager still shows that the Operating System is windows 8.1 (64-bit), but that's to be expected, and so what?

Everything appears okay EXCEPT that I can't get Audio to work. I've tried with Intel HD Audio and ICH AC97 and SoundBlaster 16 but none work. Anyone got any ideas ?
Thank you.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

To tidy up the 'offending' on screen descriptions you just need to edit them using Settings - General. Note: In your Virtual Machine Folder the VDI File name will continue to be identified as "Windows 8.1.VDI" and I'm not sure if there is any way of changing that. If there is, then it's beneath the surface of VirtualBox, so perhaps a VirtualBox 'expert' may be able to help.

Never really liked the term 'expert'. I was once advised that the definition of an 'Expert' is as a cross between a 'Has-been' and a 'gush of water'. :wink:
JonH
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: eComstation, DOS, Win10

Post by JonH »

Just adding my 2 cents. Host openSuse 13.1
vBox v4.3.26 r98988

Did not uninstall additions.
From win 8.1 I ran the setup from DVD.
So far, it works.

Thanks for the suggestion to run setup from the dvd.
jon
Ufuk

Post by Ufuk »

Don't forget the product key is tied to the hardware. I was going to try to test a similar scenario except to blow away my installation and see if it keeps my upgrade. I also grabbed my product key as well.

BTW, my upgrade went as follows from 8.1.

Thanks it worked for me too...
Bill5637

Post by Bill5637 »

I was able just now to successfully upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 using the Microsoft media creation tool via IE.

I had received the Windows upgrade icon in the system tray, etc., but still had the incompatibility error for the display adapter, so, I never received the upgrade despite having tried all of the fixes for the icon, etc.

So, going in via the media creation tool the upgrade worked perfectly. The significant difference I've noticed is MS ignored the vbox display adapter and loaded their own display adapter, but I received no errors. So far, all of the functionality for virtualbox-4.3_4.3.30-101610-Ubuntu-precise_amd64 appears to be working fine, my screen view was a little funky with the MS display adapter. I uninstalled and reloaded the vbox guest additions and the display then worked perfectly.

Just FYI, I did not uninstall or change anything, just upgraded via the Microsoft media creation tool via IE. I was amazed it all worked so well!

I just wanted to share this bit of good news.
:D
wye
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by wye »

simendsjo wrote:I'm running a Windows 8.1 guest and would like to upgrade to
Windows 10. The problem is that the Virtualbox graphics adapter
isn't compatible. The message is:
Here's why Windows 10 can't be installed on this PC.

VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8
Your display won't work.
All my google-fu turns up fruitless, and I cannot find anything
remotely related to this issue (that I can tell at least).

Any idea how this can be resolved?

Host: Arch Linux
Kernel: CK 4.0.6
VirtualBox: 4.3.28
Guest Additions: 4.3.28r100309
I get similar results. I'm running Windows 7 Pro SP1 as 64-bit host and was trying to upgrade a Win 8 Pro 32-bit guest.
I've attached a screenshot of what Microsoft says as the reason it won't do the "upgrade".
FWIW, I have a Win 10 Pro Guest I installed from .ISO and it works fine except no sound. (But then, I don't get sound on most of my guests.)

This may be the ultimate "finger-pointing" exercise! posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&t=68609&p=326497#

I've downloaded VBox 5 but have yet to install it. I'm currently running VBox 4.30.
Here's the Screen-Shot of Microsoft's "Get Windows 10" applet.
Here's the Screen-Shot of Microsoft's "Get Windows 10" applet.
Win 8.png (26.55 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
tweezerhead
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WindowsXP

Post by tweezerhead »

simendsjo wrote:I'm running a Windows 8.1 guest and would like to upgrade to
Windows 10. The problem is that the Virtualbox graphics adapter
isn't compatible. The message is:
Here's why Windows 10 can't be installed on this PC.

VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8
Your display won't work.
All my google-fu turns up fruitless, and I cannot find anything
remotely related to this issue (that I can tell at least).

Any idea how this can be resolved?

Host: Arch Linux
Kernel: CK 4.0.6
VirtualBox: 4.3.28
Guest Additions: 4.3.28r100309
I to am running Arch Linux host Virtualbox 5.0.0-1

I uninstalled Guest Additions
deleted C:\Windows\AppCompat\Appraiser\
then I ran SETUP from the ISO from the running Windos 8.1

Hope it helps.
meitzi

Post by meitzi »

Tried upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium several times, but kept getting error "something happened", "windows 10 installation failed" while using ISO, and behind icon was message about graphic card not meeting requirements. I removed driver to get standard, no help, removed extension, no help, renamed json, no help. Got a tip from other virtual environment and finally was able to upgrade.

First i did run a bat-file to fix missing keys on the registry. (link to be followed, there is a bat, you can edit it if you think it's a hoax), then checked few values, and ofcourse one was missing so i did create it, and 2 had value "red" so i changed them to "green". One more step, to create new json-file with proper code on it. Still couldn't upgrade with ISO, but behind icon it worked just fine (bat-script also gives that icon if missing)

First I did run a bat on the windows 7 to be upgraded. There is menu, first should run option 1 to check that windows has proper updates. Then option 4 so that registry values are included in the registry
halminen.fi/win10fix_full.bat

2 Registry to check:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators\Reduced
under both there should be string called UpgEx and UpgExU and value of each must be "Green"

And last thing to check, the file: C:\Windows\AppCompat\Appraiser\Telemetry\Appraiser.JSON should have content like this:

Code: Select all

{
"JsonSuccessfullyWritten" : true,
"JsonVersion" : 3,
"JsonCreationTime" : "130800491614668440",
"CompatSectionCount" : 0,
"CompatSections" :
[
]
}
When all that was done, i first tried to install from already downloaded iso, but it filed exactly as always. Then i hit the icon, and it said that windows 10 is already loading. Waited until it was loaded and then proceeded to upgrade. Everything went just fine. Now i finally have upgraded Windows 10
(and just have to add, if you are not familiar with windows registry, be extra careful, what ever is done there really is done right away. It won't ask if you want to save)
sprint

Post by sprint »

Just wondering where things stand on Windows 10 upgrades in a Windows8.1 guest OS running on Mac OSX El Capitan. I just upgraded to VB 5.0.14 and still get the message "Unfortunately This PC is unable to run Windows 10".
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The situation is still basically the same. The upgrade works if the OS and the "hardware" are in a satisfactory state.

If your system says it cannot be upgraded, then your vm is not up to scratch. Have you read the basic requirements to install Windows? Does the upgrade attempt give you any hints on what the problem might be?
Bill