VBox display driver crashes in WIN 10 Guest on Debian Jessie

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tokyotea01

VBox display driver crashes in WIN 10 Guest on Debian Jessie

Post by tokyotea01 »

I have been banging away on this issue for more than a week and am getting no closer to a solution. Hoping someone sees something I am missing.

Upgrading a Windows Guest to WIN 10 Pro IP 10309 causes the following issues:

- VirtualBox display driver crashes every time the Guest is run

- if 3D is turned on, Skype v.7.5.85.102 crashes on start up. Logs say that the reason for the crash is a conflict with the VirtualBox display driver.
Turning off 3D allows Skype to load, but the VirtualBox display driver, which is running 1920x1080x32 (16:9), eventually crashes, leaving only 4:3 Windows Basic Video Driver screen sizing options.

I have attempted reinstalling Guest Additions in compatibility modes -- WIN 7 and WIN 8 -- and installing as administrator but none provide long-term solutions.
On the other hand, I have been afforded several opportunities to re-clone the WIN 7 .vdi and start over.

- There is heavy screen flicker, especially when using Firefox. Google Chrome is more stable under these conditions, but it _is_ Google Chrome, and has other problems that Firefox doesn't
Unchecking hardware acceleration in Firefox setup did not alleviate the flicker until Windows was rebooted.
Another site suggested switching off PAE/NX, but that did not seem to change anything related to the display (it is now switched on)

- After upgrading to v.10130, on shutdown Explorer posts a message concerning a memory read error. The error address appears to be within a specific range, but changes location with every logout.

BACKGROUND:

I am running a Windows 10 Pro IP, v.10130 guest on a Debian Jessie amd64 host. The image was cloned from a licensed WIN 7 Ultimate (64-bit) .vdi.
The original WIN 7 Ultimate was a Japan market CD converted to run English menus and bilingual output, as is WIN 10
Screen flicker issue was present at upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 (I used the Windows Upgrade option, not an .iso)

Video memory is 256Mb.
Base memory is 4096Mb
Four of eight AMD cores are assigned
Virtual Box and Guest additions are v.4.3.28.100309

Average uptime for the display driver varies from about ten minutes to 90 minutes and I have not located any trigger
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VBox display driver crashes in WIN 10 Guest on Debian Je

Post by Perryg »

Everything you have mentioned is a known issue with Window 10. Some can be worked around in VBox but MS is changing the playing field so much trying to get product to behave properly no one can keep up with it.