Virtualbox and "Get Windows 10"

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dvr

Re: Virtualbox and "Get Windows 10"

Post by dvr »

Interesting that you managed to update / upgrade your VM'd Wind 7. I have the ISO, mounted it in my Win7 VM and again, will not upgrade. Claims the processor is not compatible.

Anyone else?
Dave
notzippy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by notzippy »

dvr wrote:Interesting that you managed to update / upgrade your VM'd Wind 7. I have the ISO, mounted it in my Win7 VM and again, will not upgrade. Claims the processor is not compatible.

Anyone else?
Dave
If you throttle the processor it will do that, make sure you set the execution cap to 100%

Nz
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I doubt that was it. More likely he hasn't changed the OS version to Win10 in the VM settings, so it's still on Win7. This has been discussed several times.
mFuSE

Post by mFuSE »

dvr wrote:Interesting that you managed to update / upgrade your VM'd Wind 7. I have the ISO, mounted it in my Win7 VM and again, will not upgrade. Claims the processor is not compatible.
Anyone else?
Dave
Yes, I still have the same problem, nothing is helping so far :evil:
notzippy wrote:To get around this, you need to uninstall (and delete) the graphics driver for virtualbox, then windows will do the upgrade.
Once updated you will need to reinstall the graphics driver. I had to run the command with a "/force" after it to make it install. Seems to have worked
Nz
- check - but still claiming it's incompatible
notzippy wrote:If you throttle the processor it will do that, make sure you set the execution cap to 100%
Nz
- check - i really had it to 90% - but still claiming it's incompatible

What now?
2015-08-07-18_57_28-Windows.jpg
2015-08-07-18_57_28-Windows.jpg (112.96 KiB) Viewed 6315 times
notzippy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by notzippy »

Did you change the VM settings -> General -> Basic "Version" to "Windows 10" ?

Nz
mFuSE

Post by mFuSE »

mFuSE

Post by mFuSE »

I found the problem:
download/file.php?id=18208

Paravirtualisierung / Paravirtualization was activated.
Changing the setting to default fix the problem - now me is an Upgrade offered :-)
dlfuller

Post by dlfuller »

This is getting frustrating and any guidance would surely be appreciated.

I have VirtualBox 5.0.1 with Guest Additions 5.0.1 installed on OS X 10.10.5 and want to upgrade my guest Windows 7 Pro 64-bit to Windows 10.

A new Windows 10 guest installed from a Microsoft iso using default VirtualBox settings worked right away. Simple. But with no key for 10, I did need to get the upgrade through my activated Windows 7.

The "Get Windows 10" icon eventually appeared in Windows 7. I changed its settings to match those from the working Windows 10 guest. Those included the change to identify 64-bit Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 as the operating system.

Reboot. Click on the "Get Windows 10" icon and a screeching halt. "Unfortunately, this PC is unable to run Windows 10" and "The CPU isn't supported". Disable antivirus, follow suggestions from this forum for setting changes, reboot, and always the same result. Uninstall the Guest Additions, individually toggle various other suggested setting changes, and still no luck.

But it obviously does run a Windows 10 guest (sluggishly). What is going on?
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

I would try to start the upgrade process with the initial VM settings (for Windows 7), and only switch them after you've performed the first part of the install and a reboot is required. I would directly poweroff the VM at reboot when you see the VirtualBox BIOS logo.
If that doesn't help either, then why it doesn't let you is only a question that Microsoft can answer.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
dlfuller

Post by dlfuller »

noteirak wrote:I would try to start the upgrade process with the initial VM settings (for Windows 7), and only switch them after you've performed the first part of the install and a reboot is required.
Thanks for the comment #noteirak, but I have not been able to get the OK for the upgrade process to even begin. And, have been completely shutting VMs down and rebooting between setting changes.

Oh, now a new mystery! A setup that did not work yesterday kinda works today after Windows 7 in VirtualBox was left running overnight. At least there is no "The CPU isn't supported" rejection of the upgrade to Windows 10. Now it is only a rejection because of the "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter".

I upgraded VirtualBox to 5.0.2 with the 5.0.2 Guest Additions. And, ended with the same result of the upgrade rejected due to the "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter".

What is Microsoft looking for? Is there a workaround?

Thanks again for any clues to fixing this.
dlfuller

Post by dlfuller »

If this means anything, the Windows 7 VM that will not upgrade to Windows 10 shows its problematic Display Adapter as VirtualBox Graphics Adapter with Driver 5.0.2.0.

The Windows 10 VM that was installed from the Microsoft iso shows its Display Adapter as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter 10.0.x (from 6/21/2006).

So I assume if I could switch to that Microsoft driver in Windows 7 without screwing up VirtualBox then the upgrade path to Windows 10 might work. Thoughts?
MikeP ITC
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Win, Fedora, macOS

Post by MikeP ITC »

Hi

I have Windows 7 guest and the get W10 Icon. If you havent got the icon then make sure you have ALL w7 updates installed. This can take a while.

The issue is that the MS checking software does not think the virtual graphics adapter is compatible

Error message from MS:

VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows Vista and 7
The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support.

Mike
dlfuller

Post by dlfuller »

MikeP ITC wrote:If you havent got the icon
Thanks for the reply MikeP ITC. I have had the upgrade icon through this adventure. The problem is the rejection not allowing the upgrade process to continue. Supposedly due to the virtual graphics adapter.

Did you successfully upgrade this way (from W7 to W10)?
MikeP ITC
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Win, Fedora, macOS

Post by MikeP ITC »

Hi

No I haven't upgraded as it fails the compatibility test and so wont give me my update :-(

I have previously run the early adopter version of W10 as a guest with few issues so a bit disappointing

Mike
Charlie1123

Post by Charlie1123 »

OK, I was having problems with CPU not compatible and VB graphics driver too. I tried changing all the settings as discussed, restarted the VM multiple times, and every time the same error.

Although I was getting the icon to upgrade, I tried running the batch file mentioned earlier, and suddenly it started working!

I think what was happening was the check to see whether the computer was compatible wasn't being refreshed when I restarted the tool. I.e. it was remembering that the computer wasn't compatible and just saying no, rather than rechecking (I spotted this because it was still showing the graphics driver issue, even after uninstalling and deleting the graphics driver!)

Looks like the batch file has somehow forced it to do a recheck!

Now working fine, and win 10 is in the process of installing.