Virtualbox and "Get Windows 10"

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Victor999

Virtualbox and "Get Windows 10"

Post by Victor999 »

I am currently running Windows 7 Professional as a guest on Virtualbox (Ubuntu host). My laptop presented a "Get Windows 10" icon recently to reserve a copy of the Windows 10 upgrade on it for the July 29 release. I did NOT get that icon on my Windows 7 guest. Will I be able to upgrade my W7 guest in situ to W10 eventually, like everyone else using W7 or W8.1? Or wil I have to somehow download a copy of Windows 10 and create a new guest on Virtualbox?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtualbox and "Get Windows 10"

Post by mpack »

Sounds like an excellent question - for Microsoft. Nobody here can tell you what the Win10 upgrade will or will not allow.
ntsarb

Post by ntsarb »

I am using a Windows 7 SP1 Home Edition license on Virtual Machine and I managed to (manually) enable the Windows 10 upgrade icon on the taskbar, using a script that I found online.

However, when I choose to "Check your PC" (from the menu within the upgrade to Windows 10 wizard), I receive a warning that Windows 10 cannot be installed, due to the (VirtualBox) graphics adapter driver.

I uninstalled the VirtualBox drivers, still same problem.

Is it possible to raise this with Oracle? Is it possible to provide us with a device driver that is compatible with Windows 10 (as per upgrade process from Windows 7 to Windows 10)?

Otherwise, I am concerned about loosing the right for a free upgrade of my Windows 7 license.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 because it's not to be released until July 29th. So no one can upgrade right now in a VM or on metal.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

@ntsarb

I may have misunderstood your question. When you installed the guest additions did you choose the WDDM driver? Windows 10 certainly works as a guest. However, I don't think there is any way to know right now whether any checks by "Get Windows 10" will allow a VM to be upgraded. If it won't upgrade, I can't see how that would affect your Windows 7 license.
Victor999

Post by Victor999 »

loukingjr wrote:Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 because it's not to be released until July 29th. So no one can upgrade right now in a VM or on metal.
This was not my question. You can reserve a copy of Windows 10 by clicking on the "Get Windows 10" icon that is now appearing on Windows desktops. Unfortunately, my Windows guest did not get that icon. My question is "Why not?" - is it because of Virtualbox?
Victor999

Post by Victor999 »

loukingjr wrote:@ntsarb

I may have misunderstood your question. When you installed the guest additions did you choose the WDDM driver? Windows 10 certainly works as a guest. However, I don't think there is any way to know right now whether any checks by "Get Windows 10" will allow a VM to be upgraded. If it won't upgrade, I can't see how that would affect your Windows 7 license.
I am not concerned abut my W7 license. I am concerned that I am not getting the "Get Windows 10" icon that all other users of W& or W8.1 are getting currently. Why not? And is it because of something in my configurations, or something to do with Virtualbox not allowing that icon to get through for some reason.

Make sense now?
Victor999

Post by Victor999 »

ntsarb wrote:I am using a Windows 7 SP1 Home Edition license on Virtual Machine and I managed to (manually) enable the Windows 10 upgrade icon on the taskbar, using a script that I found online.

However, when I choose to "Check your PC" (from the menu within the upgrade to Windows 10 wizard), I receive a warning that Windows 10 cannot be installed, due to the (VirtualBox) graphics adapter driver.
You might have answered my question. Perhaps Oracle's graphics driver is not yet ready and therefore, I am not getting the "Get Windows 10" icon? The MS Q&A for W10 states that some machines might not get the icon if their machine drivers are not yet compatible with W10.

So this raises a question for Oracle - When will the Virtualbox graphics driver be ready for W10 (IF that is the problem)?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Not sure what your problem is but to answer your question you should be able to upgrade the guest to W-10 when it is available. I have the icon on my W-7 guest.
I can also say that there is work being done, but with all the breakage from MS it is not top priority until MS stop breaking things. Way to much work to fix it then it gets broken again.
w-7-10-update.png
w-7-10-update.png (20.29 KiB) Viewed 27632 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Victor999 wrote:
I am not concerned abut my W7 license. I am concerned that I am not getting the "Get Windows 10" icon that all other users of W& or W8.1 are getting currently. Why not? And is it because of something in my configurations, or something to do with Virtualbox not allowing that icon to get through for some reason.

Make sense now?
I was not addressing your question. I was replying to ntsarb.

Make sense now?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Perryg wrote:Not sure what your problem is but to answer your question you should be able to upgrade the guest to W-10 when it is available. I have the icon on my W-7 guest.
I can also say that there is work being done, but with all the breakage from MS it is not top priority until MS stop breaking things. Way to much work to fix it then it gets broken again.
w-7-10-update.png
FWIW Perry, I don't have the icon on either my W7 or W8.1 guests. However, according to several articles there are those running on hardware that don't have them either. So too early to worry about for sure. :)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Very well may be but the hardware that a guest sees should be close to what is needed and should in my opinion be adequate if the guest additions are installed with wddm drivers.
But I can not say how a Win8* guest will do since I refused to even run those. I had far better things to do with my time then waste it in those builds. My verdict is still out on W-10 though. Guess we'll see. :wink:
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

notzippy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by notzippy »

I got the icon (ran a batch file to fix it https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/conte ... 6uSxt?dl=1), but it says windows 10 cannot be installed on this machine, "The CPU isn't supported" is the message I see. I have changed the VM general settings to Windows 10 64 bit.

Any ideas how to resolve this ?

Nz
Victor999

Post by Victor999 »

Perryg wrote:Not sure what your problem is but to answer your question you should be able to upgrade the guest to W-10 when it is available. I have the icon on my W-7 guest.
You have an icon. I don't. And I don't know why. That's my problem.

Many thanks for that info. At least I know someone with a W7 guest has an icon.