Windows 10 IoT Core

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rbecker

Windows 10 IoT Core

Post by rbecker »

Hi all,

I succesfully installed the WIndows 10 preview (the latest) in virtualbox and it's running smooth. Next thing i want to accomplish is to install Windows IoT Core on a raspberry Pi 2 (to do this, you need Win10).
I have builtin cardreader but I cannot flash it from the win10 running in Virtualbox. It's just not there and adding it as a .vmdk crashed the win10.

Any suggestions from your side?

regards
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Windows 10 IoT Core

Post by loukingjr »

You could wait until Windows 10 is released and VirtualBox fully supports it and try again?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
rbecker

Post by rbecker »

Yes that's an option but I want to get it working asap for a demonstration, that's why!
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I for one don't know if it's possible and I'm guessing that there haven't been many that even tried.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Legorol

Post by Legorol »

loukingjr wrote:You could wait until Windows 10 is released and VirtualBox fully supports it and try again?
This is not really a Windows 10 issue, but a question about how to expose an SD card reader to a VirtualBox guest. No reason why it can't be tried now.

As for possible solution, if the SD card reader is a USB device (or appears as such on the host), then try passing the USB device through to the guest. See VirtualBox documentation on how to pass USB devices through.
rbecker

Post by rbecker »

Too bad it's not USB, it would be easier I guess. I'll just buy an external one I think. The easiest way to manage I think.

thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

rbecker wrote:Too bad it's not USB
Are you sure about that? That would be the obvious way to add it to a standard PC motherboard. Being mounted as part of the case doesn't exclude it being a USB device.
cookies!

Post by cookies! »

Using a vm, I was able to flash my micro sd card following the microsoft instructions at
http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm

Even though step 1 mentions needed a physical machine, I used the following vm:
  • Windows 10 64-bit created with VirtualBox 4.3.26
  • Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation copy. Build 10074 (according to the desktop overlay in the bottom right corner)
  • has the Guest Additions installed
I plugged my micro sd card into a usb device into a laptop running Windows 7 64-bit.

(I could not get the 32-bit image to access the usb device. The usb device in Device Manager complained about an invalid parameter. I tried updating drivers, uninstalling the usb devices from Device Manager and plugging into different usb slots.)

I have not yet tried the card in my Rasberry Pi 2, but will do that tonight and update this post.

Update:
Powered up but the display was unreadable. It looked like the windows logo and the spinny but too distorted to tell. Let it sit for 5+ minutes with no change. I tried a 2nd Pi with no luck. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

(edit: redo url due to forum restriction of disallowing urls in first post)