Windows 10 guest resolution

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
anparkinson

Windows 10 guest resolution

Post by anparkinson »

I am running Windows 10 on a Windows 8.1 host.

I cannot get my screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 in Windows 10. It only lists 4 resolutions that don't match my screen.

How can I get the right resolution?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Windows 10 guest resolution

Post by loukingjr »

Install the guest additions. Online Manual
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mimotomo
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by mimotomo »

loukingjr wrote:Install the guest additions.
This doesn't work. In the device manager I get the error code 43. The device is stopped. Both in the actual version 4.3.26 and 5.0 Beta 2.

I have only four different solution in Windows 10 preview. 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200, which are the standard solutions of the Microsoft Basic Display Driver.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

can you switch to full screen?

I have OSX, Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu hosts. The guest additions work in Windows 10 for all of them.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mimotomo

Post by mimotomo »

loukingjr wrote:can you switch to full screen?

I have OSX, Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu hosts. The guest additions work in Windows 10 for all of them.
Yes, I can switch to full screen. I run virtualbox on a Ubuntu 14.04.2 host. On my test notebook (also Ubuntu 14.04.2) with Virtualbox 5.0 Beta 2 I got the 1366x768 with a small trick (I went up in the display setting windows of Win10) and after a update and new start was everything o.k.... My second main notebook with Virtualbox 4.3.26 is on a external screen at the moment.
Legorol

Post by Legorol »

There are some issues with using the guest additions in Windows 10 guests, which causes the display driver to fail and revert to the basic Microsoft adapter. Try these:
- Turn 3D graphics acceleration on/off in the VM settings, see if one of them works better.
- If you are using VB 4.3.26, there is a test version of guest additions that works better in Windows 10:
https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... -99864.iso
(don't install this in Beta 5.0)
mimotomo

Post by mimotomo »

Legorol wrote:There are some issues with using the guest additions in Windows 10 guests, which causes the display driver to fail and revert to the basic Microsoft adapter. Try these:
- Turn 3D graphics acceleration on/off in the VM settings, see if one of them works better.
[...]
o.k. I will try this. Thank you!
dsh21
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: mandriva

Post by dsh21 »

legorol:
thanks for the link to the updated guest additions. fix the resolution for me in my windows 10 guest. i have to turn 3d acceleration off but no biggie for the way i use it.
JamesK

Post by JamesK »

I have been running the preview versions of Windows 10 in VirtualBox on openSUSE & ThinkPad E520 and been able to run full screen on it with 1366x768x32, using the vboxmanage setextradata command. However, this does not seem to work with the release version. Is there some other way to get it to work?

tnx jk