wrong section please delete

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
neom315

wrong section please delete

Post by neom315 »

delete wrong section
thank you
Last edited by neom315 on 26. Apr 2015, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: VM inaccessible with all my data Please help

Post by loukingjr »

Two things I would say…
1. Do not try and fix this yourself. Wait for someone who knows the .vdi structure intimately.
2. Why would you ever keep "vital info" of "incredible value" on a virtual or physical machine without backups?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
neom315

Post by neom315 »

delete
Last edited by neom315 on 26. Apr 2015, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

neom315 wrote:i had one backups and believe it or not i was taking all info this morning to put them somewere safe and the machine crashed.
Thank you
You are suppose to backup to somewhere safe. Not backup then move the backup to somewhere safe. At any rate. It's probably going to take awhile before someone comes online that can help.
neom315

Post by neom315 »

loukingjr wrote:
neom315 wrote:i had one backups and believe it or not i was taking all info this morning to put them somewere safe and the machine crashed.
Thank you
You are suppose to backup to somewhere safe. Not backup then move the backup to somewhere safe. At any rate. It's probably going to take awhile before someone comes online that can help.
Thank you for telling what i should have done and i cannot do anymore, this isnt helping even if you are 100% correct, i will take this as a lesson, but i need to find a way to get the files back
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

As I said, eventually someone will be online who can help. It may be hours or day or two. Try to be patient. Good luck.
neom315

Post by neom315 »

loukingjr wrote:As I said, eventually someone will be online who can help. It may be hours or day or two. Try to be patient. Good luck.

Thank you very much i hope i will be able to get the info i need.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm noth the guy Lou was saying would come along, but I do have a couple thoughts.

First, don't do anything with the snapshots. Don't restore, merge delete, anything until someone knowledgeable tells you to. Snapshots are very delicate.

Scond, could this error "vrr-disk-full" mean your host hard drive has no more space to do what you wanted?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm having trouble recognizing the reported error messages. None of those should be seen in the normal course of using any VM, so I get the feeling that important information is left out. Speaking of which, I also don't like that the error messages are not being reported verbatim. Never paraphrase error messages - report them precisely, and give the context too.

Also, this issue has nothing to do with the guest - it's a management issue on the host - so should not be posted in the Windows Guests forum. It would be more relevant to identify the host.

However...

Step 1: back up the entire VM folder now, so you can't make things worse.

Step 2: copy all the VDI files into one folder, including the base VDI, then see which if any of the VDIs you can clone using CloneVDI. Go for the snapshot VDI with the newest date stamp. If CloneVDI succeeds it creates a stand alone VDI which you can build a new VM around, or mount in another VM to get the files off.
neom315

Post by neom315 »

Thank you guys for the help i will try those solutions and get back.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: wrong section please delete

Post by mpack »

In future, please do not gut the original post of a message after it has been commented upon. If a message has been posted in the wrong forum then mention it to a mod, and we can move it.

The forum does not provide personal support. It's a discussion forum, and the discussion is supposed to be left behind to benefit all members. Gutting a topic is selfish vandalism.