Switch from VMLite

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
nics

Switch from VMLite

Post by nics »

I've been running VMLite workstation with WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe (XP Pro SP3) for some years w/o any hiccups. Noticed that the snapshots qty growing and taking a lot of disk space, tried to remove the oldest snapshot and that screwed it totally. Uninstalled all and started afresh, it's running but when I close out I cannot restart the last session, just not available. If I reboot then I can run VMLite/XP once more and the last session comes up all intact, rather cumbersome. Maybe it's time to switch to VirtualBox?

I read and viewed all I could find regarding VirtualBox but still not sure where to start. With VMLite it is an install of 66.6 MB, WindowsXPMode_en-us 108.5 MB plus about 120 MS updates/patches.

With VirtualBox I see the install file is 108.5 MB, should I install it on a different partition or is C drive best? I notice there is also a portable version available?

My OS is Win7 Pro 64-bit but as guest XP Pro 32-bit just fine.

Any suggestions or tips most welcome.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Switch from VMLite

Post by Perryg »

We only support the official build from VirtualBox.org. Any other would need to be addressed by the 3rd part vendor.
nics

Post by nics »

Thanks Perryg, I've got VirtualBox-4.3.26-98988-Win.exe on my desktop and want to install/run it correctly first time round. Is it the official build I downloaded, MD5 : db6b90c93ef78c1f7311c06b135990c3?
I'm not interested in any 3rd party app or assistance with VMLite, I only gave the info to indicate from what/where I'm coming.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

That should be the right one. I would suggest that you install the main program on the host and if your host drive is limited then create the guests on a different drive. Note you use the preference section to indicate the location where you want to store the guests.
nics

Post by nics »

Took the plunge but with my poor knowledge I most probably misunderstood how to install the WindowsXPMode.exe / OS.
I've done as you've suggested, the .vdi file is on my E partition, but all I eventually get to is a pop-up with "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted"
I do have the original XP disc somewhere but never used it with VMLite to install XP Pro.
This newbie really confused :oops:
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I seriously doubt that the guest created in VMlight will work in the real thing. Better to install new.
nics

Post by nics »

No I'm not going near VMLIght or any of its files, from where and how must I install the XP guest (OS)?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You said "WindowsXPMode.exe / OS." which will not work in anything but VMlite. You must install a valid retain version of Windows.
nics

Post by nics »

Although the XPMode version from MS is valid and registered it seems then with VirtualBox it's a no go, I'll have to dig and find the original disc and work from there.
Thanks for yr patience and assistance, appreciated.