Guest Win7 problem with wireless adapter

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Morveous

Guest Win7 problem with wireless adapter

Post by Morveous »

hi guys....
I have a problem with my wireless adapter on virtual Win7 32bit. the problem is that the wireless card works fine for a while then it just doesn't detect any network for no reason till I disable and re-enable it from device manager. the adapter is fully working on the host with no problem.
I have tried to reinstall the latest driver on both guest and host and I have the latest extension pack of VB installed . so please help.......
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Guest Win7 problem with wireless adapter

Post by BillG »

Why would you install a wireless NIC driver in the guest? The vm cannot see the physical devices in the host machine. It sees only its emulated NIC card, which is not wireless! If you are not sure what it is, look in the settings on the vm. In almost all cases, the OS will automatically load the correct driver for it. The default settings select a NIC which that OS supports with built-in drivers.
Bill
Morveous

Post by Morveous »

Thx for your response. and yes I'm sure of what I'm doing and guest can't load any driver for the wireless adapter until I install it. It's a usb wireless adapter.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

One thing to check, regarding this: "the latest extension pack of VB installed" - the version of Virtualbox and the version of the extension must match. Please check on that.

Also, since your guest is Windows 7, you can try installing an earlier Virtualbox version to see if the problem goes away - it may be a glitch in the newer versions. Try 4.3.12 and matching extension pack and Guest Additions. (If you uninstall the version and extension pack you have and install the older version your guest will be automatically registered. But do a backup, just in case, always a good idea when making changes to a PC.)

Note, 4.3.12 is the last version which does not have the security hardening on Windows hosts. Be sure your host has no malware on it and you should be OK for testing purposes.
Morveous

Post by Morveous »

Well I did as u said and downloaded 4.3.12 and its working ok so far I will let u know if it fails. thx for help
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad it seems to be working. If 4.3.12 works, put back the new version and matching extension pack you had before and see if the issue returns. If it does, congratulations, you found a program issue! Let us know how it goes.
downloart
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows xp

Post by downloart »

4.3.12 works for me too
Morveous

Post by Morveous »

I've rolled back to the latest version and the issue appeared again with the wireless adapter, no idea why and it appeared immediately like after 2-3min after loading the adapter to the guest, on the other hand 4.3.12 seems to be without that malfunction or at least not immediately (I've tried it for like 6-7 hours and it worked).
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You should post this issue on the Bugtracker (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker) with a log from 4.3.12 where the USB wifi adapter does not disconnect, and a log from the latest version where the adapter does disconnect. Be sure to mention that it's a USB wifi adapter. Also, try to leave the guest running on 4.3.12 for a few days, just to be sure the USB wifi remains connected - it will make your information stronger. For your logs, be sure to have the guest fully shut down before copying the log.
Morveous

Post by Morveous »

Ok I will do a report on this bug after trying the 4.3.12 version for some days just to make sure that it doesn't have this bug.