Windows 8 USB dongle from DELL won't boot, Hinglish message

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
lothario

Windows 8 USB dongle from DELL won't boot, Hinglish message

Post by lothario »

I bought a Dell laptop that shoved Windows 8 with it, but I use Ubuntu on it. However, a Windows VM to run Turbotax would be very nice.

The laptop came with a "Dell OS Recovery and Restore USB key" that has two partitions on it: 2.85GB and 4.36GB. Allegedly it should have an installable Windows 7, possibly through some "downgrade" from Windows 7.

I tried to boot from that USB dongle in a VM and had to apply the "VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1" fix and use the VirtualMachine USB Boot Tool because otherwise I'd get this error: <<The I/O cache encountered an error while updating data in medium "ahci-0-0" (rc=VERR_ACCESS_DENIED)>> (apparently the Windows 8 that boots off of the dongle wants write access to the USB stick).

However, at this point I'm stuck: Windows aborts booting with an error message that clearly doesn't come from Microsoft:
Unable to continue the booting process. Some informations are corrupted or missing!!
Hinglish message
Hinglish message
Dell USB dongle won't boot in VM - Some informations are corrupted or missing!!.png (16.13 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Is this some copy protection BS that Dell added?

I paid for the thing! How can I boot it in a VM?

(Dell's tech support was useless, as one might guess)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 8 USB dongle from DELL won't boot, Hinglish mess

Post by socratis »

lothario wrote:Is this some copy protection BS that Dell added?
99.9% yes. Plus, besides the copy protection, the OS maybe tailored with device drivers that can be found only on a Dell computer, not on a VM.
lothario wrote:I paid for the thing! How can I boot it in a VM?
99.9% you can't. I'm sorry, but I believe that this is the "price" (pun intended) you pay for getting an OEM version.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 8 USB dongle from DELL won't boot, Hinglish mess

Post by mpack »

lothario wrote:I had to apply the "VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1" fix
Doubtful. Most commonly this happens when people tell VirtualBox that they're using Windows 8, when they're actually using Windows 8.1. If there was no need to distinguish between these guests then VirtualBox would not provide two options.

It doesn't help that you were following a 3 year old third party blog.