Ubuntu 12.04 Host, W7 Guest. Servers not visible.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Mattias

Ubuntu 12.04 Host, W7 Guest. Servers not visible.

Post by Mattias »

Hi.

Ubuntu 12.04 Host, W7 Guest.

Im running COD4 MW server in W7 in Vbox. Firewall off in Ubuntu and W7. Ports added in Vbox and opened in Ubuntu and W7 did checked them. Im running W7 in NatNetwork whit 192.168.x.x IP. Everythink working fine Mysql too xaamp and others.

I can join to my servers in COD4 and CS GO and minecraft from favorites but can't see them in master list. Anyone can join servers when i give them IP and port. I can see them in favorite list to. B3 automatic bot working fine, rcon tool workin fine to no problem whit conection from consol in game to Vbox W7 consol in server. Gametracker see servers and showing online on gametracker website.

I try many thinks and no luck. Ports are opened for master list in both games COD4 and CS GO. I opened so many ports any i can think, change IP play whit Networks in Vbox and nothink helps.

It's Vbox bloking or ubuntu, W7, i realy don't know. If anyone have some ideas please let me know. I will try anything. Thank you in advance.

Regards
M
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Host, W7 Guest. Servers not visible.

Post by scottgus1 »

See here for info we'd need to help: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48476

Meanwhile, for access to your Windows 7 guest from the internet, use "Bridged" as the Virtualbox network style you connect your guest with. Then your guest will appear to your network router and your Ubuntu host as just another computer on the network. Port forwarding will become much easier, since your router can deal with your guest directly without having to do anything to your host's OS.
Mattias

Post by Mattias »

Hi thank you for answer.

Vbox 4.3.20
Host - Ubuntu Server 12.04 "Precise Pangolin" LTS (64bits)
Guest - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Dedi: OVH in france, im in UK, cpu i5 2.6, 16gb ram.

I can't configure bridge mode. Don't know what im doing wrong but i was trying to do it many weeks now. If there is simple way to setup it like where and how i have to pu details like IP and others and some driver needed? I did like it is in Vbox guide and don't know what happen but not working.

That why i jump to NatNetworks i can setup IP and open port easily.

I can't understand it anymore.

Any help please. Thank you in advance

Regards
Maciej
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Configuring Bridged mode for the guest is done in the Virtualbox GUI on the host, click the guest, then in the Settings pane, Network. The "Attached To" dropdown should allow Bridged as a choice, which should then allow a choice in the "Name:" dropdown just below, to choose which physical network adapter in the host you'd like to connect to. Choose the one that your LAN is plugged into. Click OK when that's all set up, and your guest should be attached to your LAN like it was another PC. You may need to re-do any static IP address in the guest to match the address space your LAN uses.

if you get any errors trying to do this, let us know what they are, please.
Mattias

Post by Mattias »

Yes, i did everything like you wrote. I think my problem is i don't know what IP i should put where. I try many combinations and nothing worked for me. If you can have a look on attachment is my IP config. Could you direct me what IP and others going. In W7 i put IP and mask and gateway in ip4. It give me msg like IP conflict or wrong mask address.

Many Thanks for helping
Maciej
Attachments
IP details.txt
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I took a look ath the IP info in the posted file - to be honest, I'm not that skilled in interpreting that info enough to know where errors might be, but I do see something: The IP addresses for your "vboxnet0" and "vboxnet1" are 192.168.56.1 and 192.168.57.1, the 56 and 57 of which are unusual in normal LANs (not unusable, just unusual) but are normal in Virtualbox's host-only networks.

But "Bridged" in Virtualbox will present two separate computers, host and guest, to the network router, so each computer can stand on its own. If you have successfully set your guest to "Bridged", then the only things you need to do are set a fixed IP address within your guest within the router's IP address space, and forward ports to that fixed IP address in your router. You would no need to do any IP configuration on your host to get internet data to your guest.

Let's confirm you have the guest set to Bridged: Shut down your guest, and post the guest's .vbox file here. (The .vbox file is found in the guest's folder) Specifically, what I would look for is this set of lines:

Code: Select all

<Network>
        <Adapter slot="0" enabled="true" MACAddress="{some digits}" cable="true" speed="0" type="{some text}">
          <DisabledModes>
            <NAT>
              <DNS pass-domain="true" use-proxy="false" use-host-resolver="false"/>
              <Alias logging="false" proxy-only="false" use-same-ports="false"/>
            </NAT>
            <InternalNetwork name="intnet"/>
          </DisabledModes>
          <BridgedInterface name="{your host's physical NIC}"/>
        </Adapter>
The {} parts will show data unique to your host & guest. The second from the last line, <BridgedInterfacename =..., outside of the <DisabledModes> block, is what I'm looking for.