Paging File on Windows 7

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
howard@careercrafting.com

Paging File on Windows 7

Post by howard@careercrafting.com »

Right after booting up to my Windows 7 VM (Host Macbook Pro, running Yosemite), I get this message:

"Windows created a temporary paging file because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The Total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified."

Following this a widow open with performance options. Programs is selected by default and the file size indicated is 715 MB. I select OK join this window and proceed. I then see another message saying:

"Your computer is low on memory. Close programs and save data. This happens before launching any application programs. I generally only use one Windows 7 app."

I would like to know how to modify my VM configuration so as to eliminate these messages and have sufficient memory for the tasks I'm running.

Howard
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Paging File on Windows 7

Post by mpack »

VM log file please. Right click VM in GUI, select "Show Log", save "VBox.log" (only) to a file, zip file and attach here. Make sure the VM is shut down before you collect the log of the session.

It would also be useful to know how much free space is left on the volume containing the folder where the VDI is stored.

Hi!

The Log file you mentioned is attached. Please tell me how to determine free space left on the volume containing the folder where the VDI is stored. I will get this info and post it here.
Attachments
VM Log.zip
(18.87 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Last edited by mpack on 4. Mar 2015, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced text attachment with zipped version.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I asked you to zip the file before attaching it. I even put the request in red to be sure you would see it. Please do it next time.

I am not a Mac user, so I can't tell you how to find out how much free space is available on an OS X disk drive (rather, on a single volume/partition). I would have thought this was a rather fundamental piece of knowledge that everyone must have about their chosen OS.

Your VM seems rather tightly specified for a Windows 7 guest on your host. Your host has almost 7GB free, you can easily afford 2GB for the guest. I also would have created a 64GB hard drive, as 20GB is small by modern standards.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

At the bottom of any Finder window you will see the free space listed.

@mpack... I thought I would mention the Windows 7 template defaults to 512MB RAM and a 25GB hard drive.

I only mention it because there have been various comments about users changing the default settings.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yes, but unlike most template fields the New VM wizard explicitly offers you a chance to change those settings before the VM is created. The defaults in those settings are conservative since they don't know the host capabilities. The user does - or should. I'm sure that the wizard could be made smarter, but some consideration from the user will always be advisable.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I think the operative word is "should". :)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.

Hi, I'm a knowledgeable mac user and can do most things on a mac but when dealing with VMs, it is a different animal. My VM hard disk lives inside Virtual Box. I need guidance on how to change the size of the hard disk inside the VM application. I'd like to do whatever is needed to re-configure my VM Hard disk so there are no issues.

I'm a responsible person, very capable of following instructions, asking for what i need and if there's something unclear asking for clarification. I'm also human, so I can make mistakes like anyone. There have been times on this forum when I felt like the people offering help were a bit condescending or judgmental which helps no one as far as I can tell. So, my request is that you be tolerant and understanding.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

howard@careercrafting.com wrote:Hi, I'm a knowledgeable mac user
howard@careercrafting.com wrote:Please tell me how to determine free space left on the volume
I don't want to hurt your feelings, but, I'm sorry, you are not a knowledgeable user. Using iTunes and iMovie does not make you one.

Having said that, the fact that you said that you can read and are willing to follow instructions, honors you and helps us from keep repeating ourselves. So, here are the detailed instructions on how to resize a VM. From the FAQ (if I may add): How to resize a Virtual Drive.
howard@careercrafting.com wrote:There have been times on this forum when I felt like the people offering help were a bit condescending or judgmental which helps no one as far as I can tell.
We are volunteers. We are trying to help, not get our anger out to other people. But, if other people are not willing to even read the manual or the FAQs, sometimes we can get ticket off. Like normal human beings.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.

Thanks to everyone here who offered input to help me solve this problem. I got some help from someone who was comfortable with command line actions and it is solved now. My Windows 7 VM is functioning very well.