Audio not working after update to 4.3.22

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Audio not working after update to 4.3.22

Post by michaln »

Unfortunately what ticks me off is people giving the same bad advice over and over (not always the same people, just the same bad advice). I honestly don't understand how users are helped by advice that at best wastes their time and at worst causes damage (in this particular case, I'm sure it'd be nothing worse than a minor waste of time and effort). It was advice well meant, yes, but that doesn't make it more or less helpful.

I understand that people sometimes have a problem with how I say things. But as far as I know, I usually have the facts right. If you think that I'm wrong, please tell me and explain why. In this particular case, if Guest Additions have some known impact on audio inside a guest, I'd really like to know.

Now a serious question. Do you think users would be served better if I ignored the bad advice they're given, instead of calling it out? I don't, but maybe you guys do, and if so, I'd like to know why.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

It's not the advise it is how you say it. It's the way you belittle the people when you reply. A simple statement that the GAs will not have any effect would be enough but when you post your usual way it is as if you have a need to show your superiority and that the rest of us are idiots.

If you want to continue this conversation I would suggest that we do so in the moderator forum where we can have an in-depth discussion.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

michaln wrote:Now a serious question. Do you think users would be served better if I ignored the bad advice they're given, instead of calling it out? I don't, but maybe you guys do, and if so, I'd like to know why.
It's fine, michaln. As I tried to explain earlier, the user was still using the broken GAs so how recommending the fixed GAs was bad advice escapes me. Would it fix her problem? Maybe not but it would at least fix one problem. From now on I will only recommend something I know with 100% certainty will work.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Just so I'm clear michaln, I don't need a condescending attitude from you or anyone. If you want users to help it might behoove you to tone down the criticism. There have been a number of comments that only serve to be critical of someone's advice with no attempt at offering an alternative that might help. I was here to help, or try to.
Astrogirl

Post by Astrogirl »

Hi thanks to all above esp loukingjr who is doing best to help us all out here with this sound issue -anything is worth a try. I will try the new GA suggested and get back soon, however the 4.3.23 vbox version is not yet released right? Running a system chkdsk full at moment which is why taking a while to get back here - I have 6 partitions on the Vm.

I did try a couple of drivers I found for the Intel HD AUdio - IDT that shows up in device manager and no good - one gave a dreadful BSOD -and it shutdown my Vm on the spot and would not boot- was able to remove in safe mode.
I also found this thread here about it "HD Audio for Windows XP guests (Vbox 4.0)" which suggests as others said above better to stick with AC97 - also these HD Audio drivers I found seem to be trial and error -non specific to virtual box and xp - have other brand names eg for specific laptops. I found some other info saying this version maybe supported for XP SP3 in virtual box but so far unable to find a working link to it - ver 5.10.5762.0 14-12-2007 for XP SP3. Maybe worth a try anyway if driver found even later - if anyone locates it please post link here or add driver file.

I prefer also to use later vers Vbox with bugs fixed so just in meantime was thinking to downgrade. At least a fix maybe worked on if people aware. I will post the asked log at bugtracker as soon as Vm freed again, so please check that too for anyone else trying to solve this. Thanks again.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Astrogirl wrote:Hi thanks to all above esp loukingjr who is doing best to help us all out here with this sound issue -anything is worth a try. I will try the new GA suggested and get back soon, however the 4.3.23 vbox version is not yet released right?
The next release will be 4.3.24. Odd numbers are reserved for test builds, not official releases. Updating GAs will fix a different problem (shared folders) but not audio. (I'd be happy to be wrong on that.)
I did try a couple of drivers I found for the Intel HD AUdio - IDT that shows up in device manager and no good - one gave a dreadful BSOD -and it shutdown my Vm on the spot and would not boot- was able to remove in safe mode.
Waste of time I'm afraid. Even if you manage to find a functioning HD Audio driver for Windows XP (there is a reason why Windows VMs default to AC'97), it still won't work because the problem you ran into is on the host side, not inside the VM. You probably only have a single VM(?) but if you had others with different emulated audio devices, they'd very likely have the same issue.
I prefer also to use later vers Vbox with bugs fixed so just in meantime was thinking to downgrade. At least a fix maybe worked on if people aware. I will post the asked log at bugtracker as soon as Vm freed again, so please check that too for anyone else trying to solve this. Thanks again.
If you need a quick fix, a downgrade will do it. Once you provide the requested log file (from 4.3.22), we'll have a look and try to determine the cause. As far as I'm aware, so far no one else has reported the same problem so the log file from your system would be very helpful.
Astrogirl

Post by Astrogirl »

Thankyou michaln for suggestions

Yes changing GA did not help - I guess it does not have the audio drivers - so must be windows that loads these automatically. Thanks for tips re hd audio - at moment yes just using XP VM.

I have attached new log as asked here and to my bugtracker ticket #13862 for anyone else that can take a look at solving this.
AstrogirlVBoxSoundLog2.zip
2nd Log re sound issue
(23.09 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Thanks again to all for trying to help. Sorry took so long to reply - had 3 hr power failure -seems whole town affected.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

As michaln and I suggested, uninstalling VB 4.3.22 and reinstalling VB 4.3..20 should get your audio back.
Astrogirl

Post by Astrogirl »

Yes will do downgrade but I am trying latest test build too just in case. Thanks.

UPDATE: test build 4.3.23 also sound not working. Please developers try fix it, it was fine in 4.3.20.
Astrogirl

Re: Audio not working after update to 4.3.22 and same on 4.3

Post by Astrogirl »

Further update:
Downgraded back to 4.3.20 and got weird pcm audio error re host -did not get with other versions but after reboot audio was ok
similar to what other people have posted
here is output of error and same was in logs:
00:00:11.543582 Audio: Trying driver 'dsound'.
00:00:11.672773 Audio: set_record_source ars=0 als=0 (not implemented)
00:00:21.719226 AC97: WARNING: Unable to open PCM IN!
00:00:21.719277 AC97: WARNING: Unable to open PCM MC!
00:00:21.719309 VM: Raising runtime error 'HostAudioNotResponding' (fFlags=0x0)
00:00:21.719335 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=HostAudioNotResponding message="Some audio devices (PCM_in, PCM_mic) could not be opened. Guest applications generating audio output or depending on audio input may hang. Make sure your host audio device is working properly. Check the logfile for error messages of the audio subsystem"

Anyone know what causes this and how to avoid?

Just wondering also if this may be cause of no sound in later versions 4.3.22 and above but with no error message?
If I keep getting this issue and lose sound I think I may try uninstalling all host drivers, reinstalling and see if fixes as had to do same with my host network drivers recently with update of virtual box.

See also these ticket numbers and links: maybe related issues https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9205 viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15068

On my system I get no sound if loads with this error.

UPDATE: STILL SAME on 4.3.24 version - new log put at bugtracker.
Asynchronous

Post by Asynchronous »

[quote="smithlar"]My situation was slightly different.

- I dragged the volume slider up a little, then released it - a beep occurred
- I dragged the volume slider back down to the original position, then released it - a beep occurred]

WOW! I could have spent days trying to fix this and broke stuff on the way, Thank you!, now I have audio :) and the solution was just Wiggle the knob, Love it.