Windows 98 not shutting down properly

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
daltonv

Windows 98 not shutting down properly

Post by daltonv »

Whenever I try to shut down windows 98 on VirtualBox, it never completely shuts down. I will click on the start menu, and select shut down, but it gets stuck on the "Microsoft Windows 98 Windows is shutting down" screen. I've left it like this for a long time and it just doesn't do anything, and there is no disk activity. The only software I have installed on the system is the SciTech Display Doctor video drivers, could that be interfering with the shutdown process?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 98 not shutting down properly

Post by mpack »

Win98SE used to do that to me on real PCs. And yes, Microsoft always used to blame 3rd party drivers not unloading when told to... on balance I tend to believe them.
Xario123
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Xario123 »

This is an old post, but the solution can still be useful to someone. I was in the same situation as you. This procedure works well for me.

Type : "How to Enable ACPI Support in Windows 98" on Google and click on the first link.

Follow the procedure.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Xario123
Thank you! This is indeed very good information! I tried it and works as advertised. Here is the link that you were referring to: http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/tune-37.html

And to have a small summary in case the site disappears:
Add a new DWORD value ACPIOption set to 1, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \CurrentVersion \ Detect. Reboot and make available the Win98 CD.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Update: It even supports the ACPI-Shutdown (HostKey-U) from VirtualBox. Nice!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.