Windows 10 (preview in Virtualbox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jazcyk

Windows 10 (preview in Virtualbox

Post by jazcyk »

I tried to install Windows 10 (preview) in VB with Win7 as host OS.

I managed it - but only after experimentation with settings in VB. My experience:

1) choose "Windows 2012" in the settings for the VM . Anything else would result in a segmentaton fault in either host or guest during install.
2) don't allocate to much memory to the guest. I have32 GB and with a settting higher than 16 GB installation fails with an 'out of memory' error (and this is completely crazy, I know!)
3) During installation only allocate 1 CPU-core to the guest. You can raise it after install (I have 8 CPU cores and 6 cores for the Win10 guest works fine . even though VirtualBox thinks that anything higher than 4 (50%) is invalid! :-) )

I am just posting this in case somebody wants to try the same and/or if VB developers are on Win 10 support already.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Windows 10 (preview in Virtualbox

Post by loukingjr »

1. You should choose Windows 8.1
2. A guest should only be assigned 50% of the available memory, not the total memory.
3. You most likely have 4 cores and 8 threads. which means you should assign a maximum of 2 cores for the guest.

Other than that, spot on. :D
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
jazcyk

Post by jazcyk »

One more point. Guest extensions work perfectly fine (including shared folders9 . But I had to run the installers manually after adding the guest extensions ISO. The .run script did not launch automatically.

Also - after installing the Win 10 preview keep the VM running for an hour or two in order to let it update (there is no user control for automatic updates in the preview). Before ith as updated you may not be able to maximize the WM.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I wonder what the third item in this W10 menu does...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 3.49.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 3.49.42 PM.png (73.6 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
jazcyk

Post by jazcyk »

One problem: sound does not work. "there is a problem with your sound device" returned when trying to play a .mp3 is WMP.
jazcyk

Post by jazcyk »

.. what VB also is aware of it seems. Sound settings for the VM are 'greyed out'.
Attachments
nosound.jpg
nosound.jpg (33.99 KiB) Viewed 7039 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Audio works in Windows 10 for me and my VB doesn't know it doesn't work because it is not greyed out. I guess my VB isn't as smart.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The guest audio should be the Intel HD Audio but the grayed out usually means that the guest is not shut down.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I'm just happy my sound works. :)
OmegaGeode

Post by OmegaGeode »

jazcyk wrote:One more point. Guest extensions work perfectly fine (including shared folders9 . But I had to run the installers manually after adding the guest extensions ISO. The .run script did not launch automatically.

Also - after installing the Win 10 preview keep the VM running for an hour or two in order to let it update (there is no user control for automatic updates in the preview). Before ith as updated you may not be able to maximize the WM.
I am getting no keyboard recognition and no star menu yet, though the mouse works and I can right-click the desktop to open the personalization window, or the file explorer from the taskbar, but cannot open start menu or action center - could it just still be updating?
jazcyk

Post by jazcyk »

yes .. sound should be Intel and it works.

Actually I have now tried 2 different preview

*with both:
* problems with access to (Samba) shared folders on (SuSE) Linux running virtualized with 'bridged networking'. This works fine in Win7 host. Windows ask me to check the spelling of the shared folder. Connecting from SuSE to Win10 preview (also 'bridged networking') is OK from Thunar filemanager in SuSE. This may not be (probably isn't) an issue with VB. Maybe just "\" isn't converted to "/" in file paths by Win10 when accessing a Samba share on Linux. Or some command used by Windows is incorrect or not understood by Samba (even though it had quite some updates recently).

*with preview 9841
* no issues except for above observed after I solved the sound problem.

*with preview 9926 .. (latest from this Friday or Saturday)
* here I have two more issues
> shared folders do not work
> I can only achieve 1600'1200 resolution (did not try tweaks from VBoxManage commandline). However if I have the VM running with 'bridged networking' I can connect with RDP ('remote desktop') from the Win7 host and in this environment there is support of full monitor resolution 2560*1440. So internally it supports host system resolution, but just cannot display it (or does not realize that it can!) on VB's monitor hardware emulator.

VB 4.3.20, BTW.
Old Newbie

Post by Old Newbie »

Like others, sound works for me.

No joy on shared folders though. See attachment. Tried installing multiple times, and each proceeded to Finish without a problem, but no shared folder visible in Explorer after reboot. :(

O. N.
Attachments
No Shared Folder.jpg
No Shared Folder.jpg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
mstan
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 14.10, Windows 10

Post by mstan »

shared folders quit working for me too, in 9926.

Does anyone have a workaround that may get shared folders functioning without waiting for Vbox folks? Everything else seems to work decently enough for me.
Last edited by mstan on 3. Feb 2015, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
yug
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: fedora

Post by yug »

I installed test build GA's, (https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... -97986.iso), today and shared folder works so does clipboard sharing -- drag and drop does not seem to work and my webcam witch used to work now has a garbled picture.
mstan
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 14.10, Windows 10

Post by mstan »

yug wrote:I installed test build GA's, today and shared folder works so does clipboard sharing -- drag and drop does not seem to work and my webcam witch used to work now has a garbled picture.
That still does not work for me, for shared folders. Wonder what is different from your environment to mine. Is your guest Windows 10.0.9926?