Max. screen resolution on Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Max23

Max. screen resolution on Windows 10

Post by Max23 »

Hey, I just installed the Windows 10 Preview (64-Version) in Virtual Box on a Windows 7 Pro x64 as host.
So far everything is working except the guest additions (which I don't really need).

My only problem now is: I can't get it running with my native screen resolution (which is 1920x1200). Windows 10 only lets me select 1600x1200 as maximum.

I already searched the internet and figured out, that you should be able to fix this by running the command:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage.exe setextradata "VM-Name" CustomVideoMode1 1920x1200x32
The command seems to be executed without errors. But unfortunately it has no effect at all. I also tried enabling 3D/2D Acceleration and increase Video Memory to the maximum (256 MB) and even reinstalled Windows 10 in the Virtual Machine after setting CustomVideoMode. Still no luck. 1600x1200 remains the maximum available resolution. Any idea what else I can do to fix this?
lozovsky

Re: Max. screen resolution on Windows 10

Post by lozovsky »

Max23 wrote:I already searched the internet and figured out, that you should be able to fix this by running the command:

VBoxManage.exe setextradata "VM-Name" CustomVideoMode1 1920x1200x32
This worked just fine for me. The procedure is explained in details at SuperUser: How can I get Windows 8 and VirtualBox to use my full screen?

Things to pay attention to:

1. Close your virtual machine before executing the command – otherwise the settings won't take effect.

2. You can check whether the custom video mode is added by the following command:

VBoxManage.exe getextradata "VM-Name" CustomVideoMode1
The command should return the specified resolution:

Value: 1920x1200x32
Or, alternatively, you can check the whole extra data list:

VBoxManage.exe getextradata "VM-Name" enumerate
Max23

Post by Max23 »

lozovsky wrote:1. Close your virtual machine before executing the command – otherwise the settings won't take effect.
Well, I did close it before executing the command.
lozovsky wrote:2. You can check whether the custom video mode is added by the following command:

VBoxManage.exe getextradata "VM-Name" CustomVideoMode1
The command should return the specified resolution:

Value: 1920x1200x32
In fact that's precisely what it does.

Edit: Ok, now it's finally working. :)
I just started Windows 10 again (for about the third time) without changing anything and its miraculously working. I have absolutely no idea why.
lozovsky

Post by lozovsky »

Max23 wrote:Ok, now it's finally working. :)
Congratulations! :)

In fact it should have worked right off, provided that one had shut down/power off the virtual machine and closed the VirtualBox Manager prior to executing the setextradata command.

Checking the result of getextradata before and after launching the VirtualBox Manager may also be of help – it ensures that the virtual machine will receive the new resolution data.

The same procedure also helps set custom resolution on other "unsupported" Guests (like Android-x86, though in this case additional editing of the GRUB menu may be required).

P.S. It is worth mentioning that (in all other aspects besides Guest Additions) Windows 10 and VirtualBox run surprisingly smoothly together.
Max23

Post by Max23 »

lozovsky wrote:and closed the VirtualBox Manager prior to executing the setextradata command.
Ok, maybe that could have been the problem. For sure I did close the virtual machine. But probably not the manager.

Anyway: Thanks for your help. :)
lozovsky wrote:P.S. It is worth mentioning that (in all other aspects besides Guest Additions) Windows 10 and VirtualBox run surprisingly smoothly together.
At least it seems running stable and without errors (which for the moment is enough for short testing). However I cant't really confirm, that it's smooth. My graphic seems to have barley enough power for static images. Mouse movement and other Window movements tend to have a noticeable lag. And I just tried to watch a youtube video in the virtual machine which is no fun at all. Even on the lowest available resolution it seems to judder a bit and starting with 720p it produces artefacts.
Maybe this could also be attributed to the fact that I'm running this on a Notebook as host which obviously hasn't high-end hardware. However with the right setup it should be able to perform better. At least I had Ubuntu and Windows 7 (with guest addition) running as guest for some time, which did a better job in that regard.
gianluigi.zanettini

Post by gianluigi.zanettini »

Found this Googling for the issue. Said command fixed the issue for me, thanks for sharing!
King_Brad

Post by King_Brad »

Where do I input these commands?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

On the host, in the command line window. If you're running a Windows host, you have to either have the command line prompt pointing to the folder Virtualbox is installed in (C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox, unless you changed the install folder during the Virtualbox install) or enter the entire path to Vboxmanage, as in "C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox\Vboxmanage.exe".....

I have put the path to Vboxmanage on my PATH variable so I can be in any command line and run Vboxmanage.
REH

Post by REH »

I have this same issue with OSX host. Anyone know the commands to do this in OS X?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

REH wrote:I have this same issue with OSX host. Anyone know the commands to do this in OS X?
You have what same issue? VB 4.3.26 and the guest additions work perfectly fine in Windows 10 on OSX hosts.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Jaap
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: W10 UBUNTU

Post by Jaap »

hello thanks for sharing your information
I have Vbox 5.0.0.0_beta4 v 4.3.26 could not install in W7-64
Installed extention pack 5.0.0.0_beta4 for USB 1 2 3 support
do i need more, like GuestAditions ? i can not see this GA for 5 beta

do you mean to execute those lines in the Commandline box of the W7 host ?

in the commandbox path is set to Virtualbox location

is this a command: i think no but then what is the meaning of CODE: looks like a command prompt
but of what ?
CODE: SELECT ALL EXPAND VIEW
i can not execute this is not valid in a cmd box

some key information is missing?
please give me the missing information to execute: SELECT ALL EXPAND VIEW

this command works ok
VBoxManage.exe getextradata "Windows 10" CustomVideoMode1

returns not set of course
Last edited by Jaap on 20. May 2015, 19:48, edited 2 times in total.
lozovsky

Post by lozovsky »

Jaap wrote:do you mean to execute in the Commandline box of the W7 host ?
Yes, exactly: you should run the Command Prompt from where your VBoxManage.exe resides (normally, "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox").
Or, alternatively, just run the Command Prompt and change the current directory to "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox".

The procedure is described in details (with pictures) at SuperUser: How can I get Windows 8 and VirtualBox to use my full screen?
Jaap wrote:this
VBoxManage.exe getextradata "Windows 10" CustomVideoMode1

returns not set of course
Close all running VMs and the VirtualBox Manager itself, then run the following command:

VBoxManage.exe getextradata "VM-Name" enumerate
and look through all existing settings for a certain VM (be sure to correctly put its name).

Then run the setextradata command and then again getextradata ... enumerate to check if the value got set.
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Schermafdruk 2015-05-22 06.38.50.png
Schermafdruk 2015-05-22 06.38.50.png (12.43 KiB) Viewed 123661 times
okay i got it now finaly the 2 commands for the VirtualBoxManage
returned that it is in 1920x1280
strange that resolution can not be seen or set in the Virtualmanager GUI

thanks for help
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

one more thing
How to make it possible to share maps or drives simultaneous between Host and VM?
now it is either VM that has access to f.i. USB drive F: if it is mapped or set by USB "filter"
Either the HOST has access to the resource if it is not accessed by VM
and for a USB that means it has to re-plugged to be accessible after switch
That makes it not easy to copy files between the Host and VM vice verca
not found a solution yet

again with command line not found yet
looks complicated just to save data to the host
there must be an easier way to exchange data between HOST and VM then mail or via web?
Schermafdruk 2015-05-22 11.29.42.png
Schermafdruk 2015-05-22 11.29.42.png (14.59 KiB) Viewed 123640 times
guivho

Post by guivho »

Hi,
loukingjr wrote:
REH wrote:I have this same issue with OSX host. Anyone know the commands to do this in OS X?
You have what same issue? VB 4.3.26 and the guest additions work perfectly fine in Windows 10 on OSX hosts.
On OSX, the command is VBoxManage, without the .exe (use the indicated upper/lower case)

But alas, it does not work. I've got the max screen reolution setup as displayed by the getextradata command:
2015-06-01 13:46 ~/VirtualBox VMs/W10tp
$ VBoxManage getextradata W10tp CustomVideoModel
Value: 2560x1440x32
Still, the highest available resolution in w10 is the lousy 1600x1200

Please advise...