fullscreen mode broken with Windows 7 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rclocher3
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu 14.04

fullscreen mode broken with Windows 7 guest

Post by rclocher3 »

Hello all,

I recently upgraded to VirtualBox 4.3.16 r95972, and upgraded the Guest Additions in the Windows 7 guest also. If I run the guest in a window then all is well, but if I switch the guest to Fullscreen mode suddenly the mouse doesn't work in the guest, and the thin "window shade" bar at the top of the screen is missing. (That's the bar that should turn into the VirtualBox menu when the mouse is over it.) The keyboard still works normally. If I then press Host+F to toggle fullscreen mode off, then the guest display blacks out and doesn't refresh. Then if I press Alt+Tab to switch applications, then the mouse won't click on anything in the host, but mousing over something in another window on the host works, but there is a dark shadow over the other program's window, and also the "window shade" bar that should be over the guest is at the top of the other program's window. If I then Alt+Tab back to the guest and click on it, which is the only thing I can change by clicking the mouse at this point, then the guest will get the keyboard back and I can shut down the guest with Host+H.

Running the guest in a window is okay as a temporary work-around, but I find it very disconcerting; I'm used to fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode worked fine in the previous version of VirtualBox that I had, which I think was 4.3.14.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It feels like a bug to me, but if I'm doing something wrong then please let me know.

Host: Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit edition running on a Fujitsu E710 E90+ with Intel® Core™ i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4 (quad-core) microprocessor, Intel® Ivybridge Desktop graphics with 256 MB video memory, 16 GB RAM
Guest: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edition, which is allotted half of the available processors, RAM, and video memory (2 processors, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB video memory), 2D video and 3D acceleration enabled, Windows Aero theme

- Rob
nezek

Re: fullscreen mode broken with Windows 7 guest

Post by nezek »

I have the same issue with Arch as host, windows 8-64 as guest.

Removing the guest additions is the only (crappy) workaround I found.
rclocher3
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu 14.04

Post by rclocher3 »

I believe this bug is covered by Ticket #13399:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13399

- Rob
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Not surprising. The entire history of the planet seems to be covered by that ticket.
DarthJJ

Post by DarthJJ »

This still seems to be an issue with the 4.3.18 update (I cannot use the mouse in full screen mode (HOST+F)). I don't think Ticket #13399 covers this issue.
DarthJJ

Post by DarthJJ »

I just created a new ticket on this issue: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13509
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That seems like a more focused ticket at least. We'll see what the devs find.
daniel15092
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 7 beta, vista, 7, xp, 2003, 10 Technical Preview, windows 8 preview, windows 8, windows 8.1

Post by daniel15092 »

Try pressing the CTRL button, then clicking, That brings the cursor OUT of the vm, and then clicking brings it back in.