Windows XP SP3 graphics issue

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
trushnick

Windows XP SP3 graphics issue

Post by trushnick »

Hi,

Few days ago i've installed VBox 4.3.10 just to play some old games (Donald Duck:Quack Attack and Bugs Bunny:lost in time).

I did all configs like in many guides, install directx, install guest addictions, but after launch Donald duck game said, that it's something wrong with my dx.
Here is the error text:
"Display initialisation error: problem during resolutions enumeration.
Driver : display
Device : Direct3D HAL

Please run install."

Host OS: Win8
Guest OS: WinXP SP3 x86

Did anyone have this problem? How to solve it?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows XP SP3 graphics issue

Post by socratis »

Programs like these tend to push the physical hardware to their limit, often accessing the hardware directly, hence the strict requirements. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, specially on the video side. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
_Josue_

Post by _Josue_ »

I'm having the same problem, exactly the same situation and error output.
socratis wrote:Programs like these tend to push the physical hardware to their limit, often accessing the hardware directly, hence the strict requirements.
Sure, This game used to take all the juice my almost 20 year old trio 3d video card could provide. However I thought virtualbox would be able to run it.
socratis wrote: Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, specially on the video side. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware.
Yet, everything that runs in full screen mode has some sort of trouble. Even windows media player complains and switches back to window mode! Come on guys, I know this can be improved, I know you can do it! Eventually, I think you can come up with some solutions to make the virtual hardware look like real hardware for this kind of programs.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Yes, it would be possible. The problem is that there is not demand for this from the paying customers. The people who run VirtualBox in a business environment don't really want their employees playing video games.
Bill
_Josue_

Post by _Josue_ »

I see your point but a computer is a multipurpose system and a virtual machine is expected to work without too many differences from real hardware. If the developers fix this kind of things, I am sure that there will be a lot of general improvements.
Now I didn't know there was a paid version, I can't even find a purchase link nor anything similar. I guess if it's not too expensive I could pay and then ask for things like this to be fixed? I thought it was free and open source, except perhaps for the PUEL licensed extensions, which make me wonder why they had to do that.
Last edited by socratis on 29. Jul 2017, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

_Josue_ wrote:Now I didn't know there was a paid version, I can't even find a purchase link nor anything similar.
Oracle VM VirtualBox Enterprise, then "Add to Cart".
( 50$/license + 11$/support_for_one_year ) * 100 min_#_of_licenses = 6100 $, to get you started.

Then you could definitely make your voice be heard with a little more dB, but remember that there are companies with a lot more than that amount of money out there. And they don't play games... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.