Windows XP guest networking with Host (Win7)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mikenowo

Windows XP guest networking with Host (Win7)

Post by mikenowo »

I tried following the instructions at 'virtualbox-org/manual/ch06.html' in the '6.5. Bridged networking' section and my WinXP guest seems to recognize the host ethernet card and says it is connected at the bottom right networking icon in the guest VM window, but I don't end up seeing the host as a computer in 'My network places' (and I don't see any way to connect to the internet). I've searched around but can't find any more detailed explanations for setting up a WinXP guest to be able to access the internet and the Host and its LAN through the Host's ethernet card. Is there a document or post somewhere I missed that explains this better?

I've attached a snapshot of the network setup options I have:
Network setup
Network setup
network setup.jpg (68.32 KiB) Viewed 8712 times
mikenowo

Re: Windows XP guest networking with Host (Win7)

Post by mikenowo »

Ok I got the Win98 guest working, I gave it a specific IP address and the gateway IP of my router and can now see all computers on the LAN and vice versa..

BUT,

with WinXP I can't even assign an IP address because it is saying it cannot find my network hardware, I have the Network adapter setup as in the picture in the previous post (under Settings; Network), BUT WinXP doesn't seem to find it. When I go to 'Network Connections' in 'Control Panel' the window is blank, no entries. If I try to use the 'Network setup wizard' is says 'The wizard cannot find your network hardware'. Why is it that win98 guest found it fine, but WinXP can't?

How do I get WInXP guest to recognize the network card so that I can configure the IP address info?
smithlar
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP32 WinXP64 Win7-32 Win7-64 openSUSE64 OS2 Win10

Post by smithlar »

Win XP does not have built-in drivers for the "Intel Pro/1000" network card.
Pick the "Pc-net Fast III" card instead - Win XP has built-in drivers
for that one. The PCNet card is the one specified by the VBox default
Win XP template.
mikenowo

Post by mikenowo »

Thanks I found that out by checking to see which worked with my Win98 guest. So I DID change the WinXP to use "Pc-net Fast III", and now I have access to the internet in WinXP BUT I still don't see the other computers (like the host) in the "My Network Places" option. I can PING the IPs of the other machines but they aren't showing up as icons. Any idea what I'm still missing?

Here's a pic of how I set up my IP for WinXP (did the same in Win98, used a diff IP address, and it works fine there):
IP setup
IP setup
net2.jpg (95.03 KiB) Viewed 8691 times
===

Conversely, in Win98 guest I can see the icons of the other machines BUT I don't have access to the internet. Any idea what I have to do to get internet to work in Win98 VM guest?
Also when trying to access the Win7 host, Win98 asks for a password to access Win7 but even though I have the same username and password on both machines, it keeps telling me the password is wrong).

Here's what I see in Win98 (I even see the WinXP VM even though it doesn't see the Win98 as an icon.. I can also see the WinXP VM on the host now but again WinXP shows no icons at all for the other machines):
Win98 network
Win98 network
net1.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 8691 times
mikenowo

Post by mikenowo »

Just tried something else:

In WInXP guest I CAN access the other machines using their IP or computer name (i.e. \\mike or \\Win98) .. that way I can copy files back and forth fine

ALSO: I finally found where the icons are for the other computers on the LAN in WinXP (they're imbedded under other icons in "My Network Places"). To get to the computer icons I had to choose:
-"My Network Places"
-"Entire Network"
-"Microsoft Windows Network"
-THEN I dbl-clicked on the workgroup name (icon) I had given to all the computers
-Under the workgroup is where it finally showed the icons for the other computers on the LAN <sigh> (ridiculously convoluted :roll:)

===

Outstanding issues:
So WinXP is working fine, all I have left to 'fix' is getting Win98 to access the internet
and also getting the Win7 host to accept a password so I can access files on it from Win98
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Win98 was not a plug and play OS. You'll only get networking to work if you know how to configure it, and that's beyond the scope of these forums: try Googling for "Win98 networking setup". Even if you get it working you'll find your choice of Internet Browsers rather limited (last time I checked, Opera 10 was the last one that could support a modern website and still ran on Win98).

As to XP, a default hardware recipe is provided for a reason. I suggest that you stick with the defaults.
mikenowo

Post by mikenowo »

Ok I did search around and tried some possibilities but no luck. I had a feeling browsers would be lacking since it's so old. No matter, don't really need the internet in the guest, using it to run old programs that don't run in win7 mostly. Thanks!
mikenowo

Win98 internet access setup (and LAN)

Post by mikenowo »

Finally figured it out, I had to find a current available DNS server IP address for Bell Canada in my location. Once I found that I put it into the DNS area of the TCPIP ethernet card settings in 'Network' and now I can access the net (win98 came with an older version of IE which works).

SO, I chose the following:
-'Start' button
-'Settings'
-'Control Panel'
-'Network
-Highlight your 'TCPIP... Ethernet Adapter' in the list and click on 'Properties' button
-Leave 'Bindings, Advanced and Netbios' tabs alone

-Change/set the 'Dns Configuration, Gateway, WINS Configuration and IP Address' as per the following snapshots:
Network settings 1
Network settings 1
net1.jpg (70.15 KiB) Viewed 8669 times
Network settings 2
Network settings 2
net2.jpg (114.89 KiB) Viewed 8669 times
Network settings 3
Network settings 3
net3.jpg (115.96 KiB) Viewed 8669 times
Earth

Post by Earth »

Apologies for the necro, but I'm having a similar issue, except now using a Windows 10 computer. Nothing on the guest computer is working to fix it, and no settings on Windows 10 will work with it either. I've exhausted all VirtualBox settings.
Here's where it gets tricky; I have two other Windows XP machines--both run from the same ISO--that are working fine.