Set system parameters to unknown/unspecified.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Jeff_59

Set system parameters to unknown/unspecified.

Post by Jeff_59 »

Hello :D

Thanks to dmidecode i know that some system informations are set by default in the VM. I know that one may change them, but i was wondering, if it is possible to reset them, so that they appear unknown or unspecified. I tried:

VBoxManage setextradata MyXP_VM VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily ""

but it doesn't seem to work.

Also, i got an error when i tried to set the system version:

VBoxManage setextradata MyXP_VM VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion "7m`0213RE141EXPLO14"

Thanks again for the help, and sorry for being a pain... :oops:

Best regards,

Jeff_59
rpmurray
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Re: Set system parameters to unknown/unspecified.

Post by rpmurray »

You actually need to use double-quotes in the command, like so:

VBoxManage setextradata "MyXP_VM" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily" "<EMPTY>"

VBoxManage setextradata "MyXP_VM" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "7m`0213RE141EXPLO14"

It's probably not necessary to use them around the VM name "MyXP_VM" but it's good practice to do it in case you have a space in the name. To reset to unknown or unspecified you need to use "<EMPTY>". You can find all this in the user manual, Section 9.12 Configuring the BIOS DMI information (page 177-178).
Jeff_59

Post by Jeff_59 »

Hello rpmurray :D

Thanks a lot for your help. :D
rpmurray wrote:You actually need to use double-quotes in the command, like so:

VBoxManage setextradata "MyXP_VM" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily" "<EMPTY>"
It's probably not necessary to use them around the VM name "MyXP_VM" but it's good practice to do it in case you have a space in the name. To reset to unknown or unspecified you need to use "<EMPTY>". You can find all this in the user manual, Section 9.12 Configuring the BIOS DMI information (page 177-178).
It works great. Thanks. :D
rpmurray wrote:You actually need to use double-quotes in the command, like so:
VBoxManage setextradata "MyXP_VM" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "7m`0213RE141EXPLO14"

It's probably not necessary to use them around the VM name "MyXP_VM" but it's good practice to do it in case you have a space in the name.
In this case, i don't have errors any longer, but when i run dmidecode on the guest, there is unfortunately no change. In fact after typing:
i don't have the usual prompt showing me my current directory, but instead just ">". It looks as if the terminal is waiting for something else.

Maybe i should start another thread, but i was wondering if these commands do the same

VBoxManage setextradata "MyXP_VM" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemUuid" "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
and
VBoxManage modifyvm "MyXP_VM" --hardwareuuid "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

again, thanks a lot for your precious help.

Best regards,

Jeff_59
rpmurray
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

Terminal is interpreting the backtick ` in "7m`0213RE141EXPLO14" as the start of a command substitution. If you need the backtick to be there then you'll need to escape it with a backslash, like so:

VBoxManage setextradata MyXP_VM VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion "7m\`0213RE141EXPLO14"

As for your other question I have no idea, I've never tried it. You could always read the manual and try it yourself.
Jeff_59

Post by Jeff_59 »

Hello rpmurray, :D

Thanks for your answer. :D
rpmurray wrote:Terminal is interpreting the backtick ` in "7m`0213RE141EXPLO14" as the start of a command substitution. If you need the backtick to be there then you'll need to escape it with a backslash, like so:

VBoxManage setextradata MyXP_VM VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion "7m\`0213RE141EXPLO14"
It works. Thanks. I checked with dmidecode and the value has been modified as wanted. Thanks.
rpmurray wrote:As for your other question I have no idea, I've never tried it. You could always read the manual and try it yourself.
I guess the setextrada command just store the value in memory, wherease modifyvm should do something deeper. Here is what the manual says:
manual wrote:hardwareuuid <uuid>: The UUID presented to the guest via memory tables (DMI/SMBIOS), hardware and guest properties. By default this is the same as the VM uuid. Useful when cloning a VM. Teleporting takes care of this automatically.
Still, if someone could clarify.

Have a great day and thank you for this wonderful forum.

Jeff_59