USB Driver Error in Windows 7 Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jpete15
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 & 10

USB Driver Error in Windows 7 Guest

Post by jpete15 »

Greetings,

Running VB 4.3.10 on Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.2). Guest OS is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 with VB 4.3.10 Guest Additions Installed.

When I attach a USB thumb drive to the guest OS by selecting Devices > USB Devices > (my USB Drive Name i.e. Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 [200]). Windows attempts to install the USB Mass Storage Device driver, but I receive the error "The Device Cannot Start (code 10)". I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver in Device Manager to no avail. The USB Mass Storage Device driver being installed is c:\Windows\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS by Microsoft version 6.1.7601.17577

Is there another Windows 7 driver that will work with USB Thumb drives in VB?

I've also tried another brand of USB Thumb drive and the same problem is duplicated.

Thanks.
jpete15
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 & 10

Re: USB Driver Error in Windows 7 Guest

Post by jpete15 »

I seemed to have solved my own problem.....

Evidently there is a difference between installing the Oracle VirtualBox Extension Pack on the Host OS vs. the Guest Additions on the Guest OS. :roll:

SO....
Make sure to install the EXTENSION PACK on the Host OS (in my case OSX)
Under Machine settings click on PORTS, USB Tab and make sure to check "Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller"
Started my Guest OS and Viola! USB Drives work!
Elaborate Ruse
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: 1

Post by Elaborate Ruse »

I had the same problem and checking the box for "Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller" worked for me. Thanks for this information!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Both steps are required: enable USB2 in the VM settings, and install the extension pack plugin on the host, as this plugin is what implements USB2 emulation.

The GAs are not relevant to USB.