Is it possible to change the Video Capture output file type?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Is it possible to change the Video Capture output file t

Post by loukingjr »

Lee48 wrote:Now if only there was a way to change the output file type to a more commonly known, better quality, and editable, video file. (hint, hint)
Higher quality means much larger video files. As far as I know webm files are editable with software that can work with the format.
how to edit webm files
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You might also want to check a Wikipedia article on how to convert and/or work with WebM files. It may also help you understand why WebM will be more common in the near future ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lee48

Post by Lee48 »

loukingjr wrote:Higher quality means much larger video files. As far as I know webm files are editable with software that can work with the format.
how to edit webm files
Oh Man, I had no idea you wrote your reply until just now. I thought I was supposed to get en email notification to tell me whenever there was a new reply but I never got one, hence the delay.

I wouldn't mind if the file sizes would be bigger, just as long as they can be edited using my Camtasia Studio editing program, which they can't so I'd have to convert it first (with Xilisoft) to a format that's recognized by Camtasia Studio.

I'll look at the google search results link you gave me to see what I can come up with. Thanks again.
Lee48

Post by Lee48 »

socratis wrote:You might also want to check a Wikipedia article on how to convert and/or work with WebM files. It may also help you understand why WebM will be more common in the near future ;)
Again, I apologize for the late delay in getting back to you. I'll look into that wikimedia page to see what it says about WebM, Thank you .
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Lee48 wrote:
loukingjr wrote:I thought I was supposed to get en email notification to tell me whenever there was a new reply but I never got one, hence the delay.
If you haven't done it already go to User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit posting defaults check Notify...
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Just to give another answer to the original question... no, it is not possible to change the output file type. The reason why WebM is used is that it's the only usable codec with a suitable license and not encumbered by patents.

Even if it weren't the only choice, we would not be keen on supporting multiple output formats. There would have to be some really, really good reason to support more than one.
Lee48

Post by Lee48 »

loukingjr wrote:If you haven't done it already go to User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit posting defaults check Notify...
Done. I'm still new to this site so I'm learning as I go. Thank you.
Lee48

Post by Lee48 »

michaln wrote:Just to give another answer to the original question... no, it is not possible to change the output file type. The reason why WebM is used is that it's the only usable codec with a suitable license and not encumbered by patents.

Even if it weren't the only choice, we would not be keen on supporting multiple output formats. There would have to be some really, really good reason to support more than one.
Thank you michaln. That makes perfect sense to me. I imagine it's not a feature that very many people use in VirtualBox so there wouldn't be any real need to provide different output formats, and besides, there's the patents issue which is understandable. And as the old saying goes, you've got bigger fish to fry. I've learned many things from starting this thread and I am grateful for that. I love this VirualBox program, it's opened up a whole new world for me. Thanks again.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Lee48 wrote: Done. I'm still new to this site so I'm learning as I go. Thank you.
You're welcome.