Windows XP 32 bit host, Windows 7 64bit guest Bluescreens

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Piccy4444

Windows XP 32 bit host, Windows 7 64bit guest Bluescreens

Post by Piccy4444 »

I am using Virtualbox (portable) 4.3.6 on a Windows XP 32 bit host.
I was able to install a Windows 7 64 guest, but had some unpredictable bluescreens and restarts (without bluescreen) at different points during and after installation.
Event during booting from Win-7-Installation-CD or repair mode or failsafe mode I had blue screens.
The bluescreens mostly (90%) are "reference_by_pointer" with address 0x00000018 with different values in bracket.
Nevertheless, sometimes it is working fine.
I had the same problem with Windows 8.1 64 bit trial!

In an old version of Virtualbox (3.2.10. r66523) Windows 7 64bit is running fine without bluescreens.
I think it has something to do with the drivers but why it is not reproducible?
Any ideas?

Many thanks!!

piccy4444
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows XP 32 bit host, Windows 7 64bit guest Bluescreen

Post by Perryg »

We don't support portable virtualbox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Piccy4444 wrote:I think it has something to do with the drivers but why it is not reproducible?
1) VirtualBox portable is not supported.
2) One of the reasons (I guess) is that you can't know for sure what version of VB you have installed in the (random) computer that you want to access your virtual machine from your USB and if there is a mismatch.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Piccy4444

Post by Piccy4444 »

Thanks for your answers.

I prefer the portable version, because I had several problems with my virtual machines after updating the NON-portable virtualbox, even with exporting in the old and importing in the new version.
Additionally I have and old free version of VMWare Server installed parallelly and I wanted to prevent problems with combination of two installed virtualizing systems.
Now I use one (most actual) portable version for each new virtual maschine.

Are there no problems known with the NON-portable version of virtualbox 4.3.6 on Windows XP 32 bit hosts, with 64 bit guests like Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 that cause bluescreens?
If not, I think about testing to install the current non-portable virtualbox.

Thanks!

picci4444
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That's like asking a medical Doctor, "do some people get ill, and if so what's the cure?". It's pointless to discuss such generalities. If you have a problem you need to provide specific diagnostic info, including a VM log file - and we will ignore any diagnostics from "Portable Virtualbox". If you want support for a fork then you need to approach the forkee.
Piccy4444

Post by Piccy4444 »

I am now using the same "bluescreen maschines" (Win7 and Win8.1 trial) from a Windows 7 64 bit host with portable Virualbox, and had no problems anymore.
:wink:
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Portable VirtualBox is the responsibility of another site, we don't need feedback on it here.
dantecampaza

Post by dantecampaza »

I use an installed version of VirtualBox, the last one because I keep my software updated. I use it on a Windows XP 32 bit machine (4 cores, 4 GB of ram with 1,5GB of ram dedicated to the VM) and trying to use a Windows 7 Professional 64bit on my virtual machine.
I have the same problem exposed in this thread, sometimes it runs but after a while a blue screen kills everything.
I had no problem when creating the VM with an old version of VB, but since the 4.3 version I have problems, also creating a new VM and reinstalling Windows 7.
If I can't solve it I'll try to reinstall the old version.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Lots of different problems can lead to bluescreen errors. Please start your own topic and provide full details, including the contents of the bluescreen.