General Protection Fault in module WIN87EM.DLL at 0001:02C6

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: General Protection Fault in module WIN87EM.DLL at 0001:0

Post by michaln »

You forgot "9. Enjoy the 100x slower floating-point performance", but for 20-year old software it probably doesn't matter much. It's a very reasonable workaround.
dukbilt

Post by dukbilt »

You forgot "9. Enjoy the 100x slower floating-point performance"
Slower than not working at all?

This work-around works. It was a simple choice, really. It's the whole (only) reason to run the XP guest under Virtualbox. If I have another VM that needs additional speed I probably wouldn't use XP anyway.

Thanks for the insight,

ER
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

dukbilt wrote:
You forgot "9. Enjoy the 100x slower floating-point performance"
Slower than not working at all?
Depends on what you're doing. If you have some app that hits the GPF but doesn't do any heavy calculations, it doesn't matter. If you have some app that triggers the GPF but also does some heavy floating-point math, then it's hardly a great solution.
This work-around works. It was a simple choice, really. It's the whole (only) reason to run the XP guest under Virtualbox. If I have another VM that needs additional speed I probably wouldn't use XP anyway.
Absolutely! If you have a crippled CPU, anything is better than crashing software.
Ernest.VM

Could anyone make a HWiNFO32-report for the HP EliteBook 745 G3 with the AMD-CPU A12 PRO-8800B?

Post by Ernest.VM »

I have the EGPFault in win87EM.dll when I compile a Borland Delphi 1.6 financial program or execute this programm on all computers with Intel processors after 2013.

The EGPFault occurs on all Host operating systems in all virtual machines: Vmware (all versions), VirtualBox and Windows XP Mode in Windows 7:

Im Projekt DESTOCKS.EXE ist eine Exception der Klasse EGPFauIt aufgetreten. Meldung:
'Allgemeine Schutzverletzung in Modul WIN87EM.DLL bei 0001 :02CA'.

On Computers with older Intel CPUs from 2012 or before there is no EGPFault in win87EM.dll .

With the free portable app HWiNFO32 or HWiNFO64 you can test, if your computer has an affected processortype producing the EGPFault in WIN87EM.DLL or not:

In the report (log-file) of the HWiNFO32-CPU-Report there is only one line important for this behaviour:
Deprecated FPU CS and FPU DS: Present
-> The CPU ist not OK producing the EGPFault in WIN87EM.DLL
Deprecated FPU CS and FPU DS: Not Present
-> The CPU ist OK and not producing the GPFault in WIN87EM.DLL

You can get HWiNFO32 from hwinfo-com as a portable 32bit-version or as a 64bit-version : download from fosshub-com.

Unfortunatelly i have 2 newer very light ultra-notebooks with the EGPFault in WIN87EM.DLL:

• Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro, with Intel(R) Processor 5Y70 CPU @ 1.10GHz; Broadwell Y,
    CPU ID: 000306D4, bought 2015-06-09
  • Toshiba Portégé Z30-C-138, with Intel Core-2600 Skylake-Y
    CPU Brand Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz,
    CPU ID: 000406E3, bought 2016-03-13

I have tested the Notebook DESKTOP-I3JSFIH HP HP Pavilion Notebook with
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Build 10586 in a conrad-at-computer shop in Austria.
The result of the HWiNFO32-report for this notebook with AMD A10-8700P, 1800 Mhz, CPU Code Name: Excavator/Carrizo is, that it is free of the EGPFault in WIN87EM.DLL

I must try to give back both notebooks with the newer Intel CPUs (Yoga 3 and Toshiba portege Z30) by warranty or I must sell them.

Because I need a very light notebook I want to buy the only newer and light notebook with high performance and with the newest AMD-processor:

HP EliteBook 745 G3, A12 PRO-8800B, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD (T4H61EA#ABD) (Prozessor Codename Carrizo ), Prize on Cyberport-at 1299,99 € inkl. shipping to Austria.
Additionally 8GB RAM and a 2nd 256 GB SSD.
:!:

Because I could not test this notebook with the HWiNFO32-app until now, i would be very interested, that other users of this forum maybe could inform about the result of the HWiNFO32-CPU-report for this new and very good notebook with an AMD-processor. I suppose, it is not affected with the EGPFault in WIN87EM.DLL, but i am not quite shure, until I have the HWiNFO32-test-result. :?: