Need a real display adapter for Windows XP

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
bracken

Need a real display adapter for Windows XP

Post by bracken »

Hello all,
I am relatively new to Virtualbox, so go easy on me.

I have Windows XP Pro as a guest on Ubuntu, and am trying to run Lord of the Rings Online in it. I can update LotRO and log in (the launcher works fine), but as soon as it tries to actually start the game I get the following error: "No suitable graphics device was found. Are you running through a remote session or a VM? If not, please check your video hardware capabilities. [122]"

I have Guest Additions installed, so the graphics card has a valid driver, but LotRO doesn't like it anyway. I would love to be able to update to the proper driver, which I have, but everytime I try it throws this error: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Setup will exit." Trying to update it manually doesn't work either.

Instructions for how to get the proper driver working (or reasons why the previous is impossible in Virtualbox) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Leslie
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

VB emulates a 2D card, not a 3D one. Read the suggestions topic. It's also in the FAQ that it is impossible to run 3D games. The error message you get is fairly straight forward, you run a VM, so it doesn't work.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.