Windows 8.1 / 2012 R2 Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
vatoloco

Re: Windows 8.1 / 2012 R2 Guest

Post by vatoloco »

Some updates:

1. I tried using Total Commander instead of Explorer, and copying works normally with it.

2. When I tried to copy a folder with files [using Explorer], it will only copy the folder name, but for the files I'll get the usual error.

To me this looks more like some kind of Explorer bug or maybe a weird hidden setting of some kind, but what do I know.
BTW, updating Windows guest didn't help either.

loukingjr wrote:
vatoloco wrote:I tried another fresh guest 8.1 install. Same thing, copying from shared folders with network adapter disabled doesn't work.

It's really weird.. it sees all the files, so how can it not copy them over?
just curious, are you trying to drag and drop them because drag and drop doesn't work with a WIndows guest.
I assume you mean dragging from outside the Vbox guest window into it... anyway.. no, I'm not doing anything like that.

EDIT (just in case anyone's dying to know;): this got fixed eventually with the final 8.1 release.
Last edited by vatoloco on 19. Jul 2014, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I still don't understand why copying works for me unless there's an issue with the Window's version of VB and 8.1. I have other issues with 8.1 now including the fact it will no longer update. but 8.1 isn't done yet so maybe it will resolve itself.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Jerome!

Post by Jerome! »

Hi,

I'm having problems with the booting of an Windows Server R2 Guest (Datacenter Edition Previeuw).
De guest is created on a Windows 8 64bit host, with the Hyper-V role installed.
When done, I've created an export within Hyper-V.
It has created an VHDX file.
On another laptop (windows 7 64bit) I've copied this VHDX file and attached it to a new Virtualbox Machine.
The templates I've used are Windows 8.1 64bit, Windows Server 2012 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit.
What causes the error "VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED" in the log? If I search it has to do with raw setting, do I need to set the raw attribute to off when running it in Hyper-V?

Thanks for your input,
Attachments
settings.jpg
settings.jpg (29.83 KiB) Viewed 9828 times
2012R2Guest.txt
(82.56 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Jerome! wrote:It has created an VHDX file
Try exporting in a format that Virtualbox understands, like regular VHD or even a RAW is good.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
DasGoat
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: 2008, 7, 2012

Post by DasGoat »

As a teacher, I use a lot of external drives formatted to be the primary disk, both Linux (preferred) and Windows to Go (because I must). I usually set up several different servers, then clone them so I can give them to students or fix the ones they break.

I just installed version 4.2.18. When I went to install my clones, I noticed that there is no longer an option for Server 2012, so I just picked "Other Windows". Also, I noticed that there is no longer a 32/64 bit option. I looked in the release notes on the webpage, but didn't see anything about these issues. Can someone enlighten me? Should I use Win 8.1 for server 2012? Does the 32 /64 bit think actually matter?
A Goat is used to lead the Lambs to slaughter ......
AnnaC

Post by AnnaC »

Im using the most recent version of virtualbox with a Windows 8.1 pro guest OS

Any apps that use 3D graphics do not work. Apps that only use 2D do work. For 3D apps, the screen goes completely black or blue and the app freezes. Microsoft games do not work, probably because they use 3D graphics as well. If I shutdown the app, everything else works normally.

I have tried to increase graphics memory in machine settings, but it did not help much.

Thank you for your help!
Anna
rees00

Post by rees00 »

I'm having an issue with a Windows Server 2012 R2 Guest, running on a Windows 7 host.

I am trying to telnet from the host to the guest but get a connection time out. I can telnet from the guest to the host without a problem, and can 'telnet localhost' on the guest as well. The guest also has no issues when connecting to the internet.

I am using 'nat' networking which is what I use with VM's running Windows 7, 8 and 2008 guests on the same host so the issue looks to be 2012 specific
VBoxNoob64

Post by VBoxNoob64 »

Hi, I am running VBox on an 8 core 24 gb Ubuntu host machine and trying to set up a Win 8.1 64bit guest os. I am using my Win 8.1 OEM disk, but it stops after I click the install button, but before the license screen asking for device drivers. Can anyone help me with where to look for what the issue is? I tried running that vboxmanage setextradata command, but I'm still getting this error.
VBoxWinInstall.png
VBoxWinInstall.png (31.53 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

VBoxNoob64 wrote:Hi, I am running VBox on an 8 core 24 gb Ubuntu host machine and trying to set up a Win 8.1 64bit guest os. I am using my Win 8.1 OEM disk, but it stops after I click the install button, but before the license screen asking for device drivers. Can anyone help me with where to look for what the issue is? I tried running that vboxmanage setextradata command, but I'm still getting this error.
This normally indicates a corrupt install ISO so if this is the actual install DVD and it is OEM it probably will not work.
OEM installs require specific hardware and the install is not seeing it.
VBoxNoob64

Post by VBoxNoob64 »

Let me clarify, When I said OEM, I wasn't talking about a Dell branded type of install disk, I am talking about a Windows install disk for an OEM. I, as a builder of systems (an OEM), can install Windows on any system I build, but my clients have to come to me for support. The license won't entitle them to support for Microsoft. I have already used the disk to install on another of my home built PCs without issue. I am just not sure what driver it may be looking for. Is there any log from VBox I can look at that would capture what the Windows installation is looking for but not finding?

Regards!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

There is a log file that is created when you start the guest even in the install mode.
Post that as an attachment.

But keep in mind the error is coming from the Windows install, not from VirtualBox. The install is looking for something that does not exist.
VBoxNoob64

Post by VBoxNoob64 »

D'Oh! Stupid computer... Forgot to click the passthrough button for the DVD drive. Once I did that it went fine.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate your time.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Passthrough shouldn't be required to read a data disk, unless it's copy protected.