[SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby mpack » 28. Jun 2013, 01:04

Please keep the discussion on topic. The topic is running Win8.1, not how to run VBoxManage.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 33615
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby musashi77 » 28. Jun 2013, 02:32

Lenh51 wrote:When I run the command suggested, I get this message:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>"c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextra
data Win 8.1 VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (0x80080005) - Server execu
tion failed (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not running or
failed to start.

C:\windows\system32>


Try putting the computer name quotes eg "Win 8.1".
musashi77
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 27. Jun 2013, 14:49

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby loukingjr » 28. Jun 2013, 03:41

Lenh51 wrote:When I run the command suggested, I get this message:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>"c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextra
data Win 8.1 VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (0x80080005) - Server execu
tion failed (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not running or
failed to start.

C:\windows\system32>

put Win 8.1 inside quotes i.e. "Win 8.1"
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer
 
Posts: 8827
Joined: 30. Apr 2009, 09:45
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby Pmhpmh » 28. Jun 2013, 10:52

Works, many Thanks for the help
Peter
Pmhpmh
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 28. Jun 2013, 10:51

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby JAB Creations » 28. Jun 2013, 18:34

I've tried the following and none of these work...

C:\MEDIA\OFFICE\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe setextradata win81ie11 VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

C:\MEDIA\OFFICE\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe setextradata "win81ie11" VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

"C:\MEDIA\OFFICE\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe" setextradata win81ie11 VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

"C:\MEDIA\OFFICE\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe" setextradata "win81ie11" VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1


...a little help please? I've renamed it "win81ie11" to keep it dead simple. Dynamic structure is great but useless without a static example. I also updated to the latest version of VirtualBox though I'm willing to download an older build if others have had success that way.
JAB Creations
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 7. Apr 2009, 02:51
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP-SP3-IE6, XP-SP3-IE7

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby mpack » 28. Jun 2013, 18:45

"Doesn't work" contains no useful information.

"C:\MEDIA\OFFICE" is not the normal path to the VirtualBox program folder.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 33615
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby Lenh51 » 28. Jun 2013, 22:03

A few of you replied to my post with:

put Win 8.1 inside quotes i.e. "Win 8.1"

I have done that and still get the same error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Len
Lenh51
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 28. Jun 2013, 00:40

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby Petr Vones » 28. Jun 2013, 22:54

Unfortunately Guest additions does not work and VirtualBox crashes on guest reboot:

Faulting application name: VirtualBox.exe, version: 4.2.14.0, time stamp: 0x51c45cbc
Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f034a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003c1b0
Faulting process id: 0x61c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce743a54aeef1f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\MSVCR100.dll
Petr Vones
 
Posts: 71
Joined: 27. Dec 2012, 01:20
Location: Czech Republic
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64-bit

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby Sreeram » 29. Jun 2013, 14:46

I tried the command i am getting the same error..
C:\Windows\system32>"c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextra
data "blue" VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (0x80080005) - Server execu
tion failed (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not running or
failed to start.
Attachments
blue.PNG
This is the VM error
blue.PNG (35.76 KiB) Viewed 21735 times
Sreeram
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 29. Jun 2013, 13:58

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby loukingjr » 29. Jun 2013, 15:30

try this...
find the Windows 8.1 .vbox file
make a copy in case
open the .vbox file with a text editor
paste <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B" value="1"/> as the last line in the <extra data> section.
save

if it breaks, revert to the copy.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer
 
Posts: 8827
Joined: 30. Apr 2009, 09:45
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby JAB Creations » 29. Jun 2013, 22:45

loukingjr wrote:try this...
find the Windows 8.1 .vbox file
make a copy in case
open the .vbox file with a text editor
paste <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B" value="1"/> as the last line in the <extra data> section.
save

if it breaks, revert to the copy.


THAT WORKED! Yeah VirtualBox is one of the programs that keeps dumping settings folders/files directly in to the My Documents folder. >__> It's an XML file so I opened it up with an editor and pasted it as the last element as you stated and it booted like a charm! Thanks! :)
JAB Creations
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 7. Apr 2009, 02:51
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP-SP3-IE6, XP-SP3-IE7

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby loukingjr » 29. Jun 2013, 23:01

welcome :)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer
 
Posts: 8827
Joined: 30. Apr 2009, 09:45
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby birdie » 4. Jul 2013, 22:08

VirtualBox 4.2.16, which has been released today, contains a fix for this issue.

Make sure to select "Windows 8.1" when selecting a guest OS type.
birdie
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 2. May 2010, 14:19
Location: Artem S. Tashkinov
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby doomy » 5. Jul 2013, 19:04

Sreeram wrote:I tried the command i am getting the same error..
C:\Windows\system32>"c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextra
data "blue" VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (0x80080005) - Server execu
tion failed (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not running or
failed to start.


Make sure you set the Windows type to 8.1 64-bit. You have to scroll down a bit to see it. This error means you're installing 64-bit version in 32-bit vbox.
doomy
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 11. Oct 2012, 23:05

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Windows 8.1 64 preview in VirtualBox

Postby birdie » 7. Jul 2013, 09:25

doomy wrote:Make sure you set the Windows type to 8.1 64-bit. You have to scroll down a bit to see it. This error means you're installing 64-bit version in 32-bit vbox.


There's nothing wrong with that and such a configuration is fully functional here.
birdie
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 2. May 2010, 14:19
Location: Artem S. Tashkinov
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Guests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests