Suddenly CPU usage reach 100%

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Suddenly CPU usage reach 100%

Post by mpack »

If a process inside a VM is hogging CPU, then it will naturally appear to the host that VirtualBox (specifically, VBoxSVC.exe) is the hogger. Obviously, guest tasks do not appear on the host task list, but the CPU is shared so it must have an impact. The Slow Windows Update Problem for XP clients is well known and not restricted to VMs. This has become more apparent since this thread was created. Try a Google search.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

mpack wrote:If a process inside a VM is hogging CPU, then it will naturally appear to the host that VirtualBox (specifically, VBoxSVC.exe) is the hogger.
Yes, I realize that.
Obviously, guest tasks do not appear on the host task list, but the CPU is shared so it must have an impact.
Also that. It's how I first noticed the problem.
The Slow Windows Update Problem for XP clients is well known and not restricted to VMs. This has become more apparent since this thread was created. Try a Google search.
I'm sure that's one cause of this for XP clients--I'll take your word for it. Unfortunately, the OP and I both mentioned OS's besides XP. And WU is not even enabled on my VM. No matter how many Google (or even Bing) searches I do, those facts won't change.

BTW, it was with a Google search that I found this thread.

How this got sidetracked to WU: NerdToTheBone came in months later and said that was the cause in his case, being an XP user.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@rseiler,

From the looks of it you are running Windows as host, correct? Then I would install the sysinternals suite and use process explorer to drill down through the service to see what is actually triggering the 100% commit.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

rseiler wrote:I'm not even using XP but Win 8.1
That's why I proposed to start a new thread with a title (for example) "Windows 8.1 guest CPU at 100%" so that when others search on the web they can find more accurate results. Remember that the original thread started more than a year ago, way before 8.1 and comparing "another client" with "my client" is apples to oranges. The symptoms might be the same (high CPU) but the root cause can vary deeply.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Eldar

Post by Eldar »

The same problem - VBoxService.exe ~ 100%.
Host: Windows 7x64.
Client: Windows 8.1x64.
Clipboard disabled.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Did you read Perryg's comment from above? What did Process Explorer say?
Perryg wrote:From the looks of it you are running Windows as host, correct? Then I would install the sysinternals suite and use process explorer to drill down through the service to see what is actually triggering the 100% commit.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ora726

Post by ora726 »

I don't think that the problem is related to the Guest OS used, this tread started with Windows XP hosts and similar problems are shown with Win 7 and Win 8.

I have exactly the same problem with a OS X 10.10 host and Ubuntu 14.10 as guest. the problem arise after heavy network traffic, like using torrent or downloading/uploading files. Like for the Windows guests cutting the network connection for a few minutes and restoring it solve the problem for a while.

Regards

ora726
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Off topic posts deleted.

This topic has diverged from its original purpose and only seems to serve now to confuse. Locking it. If you have what you think is a similar problem then post in an appropriate forum and provide an accurate description, along with Minimum information needed for assistance.