Windows XP Product Key won't work

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Neondog82

Windows XP Product Key won't work

Post by Neondog82 »

I need some help configuring Windows XP Guest on an Ubuntu 7.04 (64 bit). I was originally trying to use my current install of windows XP on partition2 in VB. But that was not working out for me so I decided to do a clean install. I did not have a windows XP install CD, so I followed this tutorial (http://www.howtohaven.com/system/create ... disk.shtml) and created one. I went to install it, and was good until I came up to where you insert the product key for XP. I did not know what it was so I saved the state, and booted back into windows. I then downloaded winxpkey.exe, and retrieved my product key. Following that I booted back into Ubuntu and reloaded the state (where XP wants the product key). I put it in, but it tells me it’s not correct. Does anyone know what I need to accomplish for this to work. Lastly I don’t think I checked the IO APIC box before starting the VB.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

There might be 2 reasons for it not working. One, what XP do you use on the other partition? It's possible you want to install a different version (OEM instead of retail or vice versa) and therefor the key is not accepted. Other option is that you are installing a corporate version and you want to use a normal key (also, vice versa is possible). Those are the things the licence key will not work. It's also possible that the key has been blocked because is't listed as illegal.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Neondog82

?

Post by Neondog82 »

I use windows XP Home on the other partition. I would assume I am also trying to install Windows XP home since i made the disc from my all ready installed version of windows. However it is probably OEM. I.e it came pre installed on my Compaq computer. I do not have a corporate version. How does it know what is an acceptable key if it is not connected to anything? What options do I have for getting it installed in VB?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Ah, you have the third, and worst, option, OEM preinstall. Those keys (almost) never work on a normal install. The key is build in the install and activated with it. If you followed the news about the Vista activation and OEM manufacturers, you would know that with those Windows versions, things are a bit different then when you buy a Windows licence from a computer shop and install it yourself.
Only option left is to buy Windows if you want to stay legal.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.