Can't install guest additions fully?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jorge.raimundo

Re: Can't install guest additions fully?

Post by jorge.raimundo »

adas wrote:Hello,

I do agree with both of you, Socratis and Mpack. Does that mean that Guest Additions 5.2.4 requires different permission levels than Guest Additions 5.2.6 and 5.2.8?
Same here. I am using an admin account and the 2.5.8 version gives me this:
ERROR: Caller is not in Administrators group to (un)install this driver package!
If I install the 5.2.6 everything works fine!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Nothing changed in the installer between 5.2.6 and 5.2.8. I can not say the same thing for your guest though... Or any of the other millions of Win guests that have no problem with that procedure. So, common logic dictates that something is wrong with your guest.

Try it with the IE VMs that Microsoft is providing: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/. See if you have a problem with such a VM...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jorge.raimundo

Post by jorge.raimundo »

Nothing changed in the installer between 5.2.6 and 5.2.8. I can not say the same thing for your guest though... Or any of the other millions of Win guests that have no problem with that procedure. So, common logic dictates that something is wrong with your guest.
Nothing changed in my guest between between installing 5.2.8 and 5.2.6. I can not say the same thing for the installer (it is a different version, isn't it?)... Or any of the other installers that do have a problem with that procedure. So, common logic dictates that something is wrong with the installer.

@socratis: have you heard about logical fallacies?

You can try to sweep this under the carpet and pretend it is not a problem, but that doesn't solve it.
Just because it works on many cases it doesn't mean it's bug/problem free. The computer universe is far from being an uniform one, and there are lots of different uncommon and still perfectly valid configurations where this installer may have a problem.

I'm perfectly able to work now with the 5.2.6 version of the Guest Additions, so this is not much of a problem.
I'm just trying to contribute a bit giving feedback on the installation process stating that if I try to install 5.2.8 it fails and if immediately after I try to install 5.2.6 it succeeds.
Take that as you wish.

Thanks for the MS VM's suggestion, but I won't be able to use them due to enterprise policies.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jorge.raimundo wrote:Nothing changed in my guest between between installing 5.2.8 and 5.2.6
I honestly don't know. And I honestly don't know if you know. In depth I mean, not on the surface. Not "*I* didn't install anything", "*I* didn't change anything", but rather "Did anything change without *me* knowing?".
jorge.raimundo wrote:I can not say the same thing for the installer (it is a different version, isn't it?)...
Well, here's where you're absolutely, 100% wrong in your assumptions. Because the source code for both 5.2.6 and 5.2.8 are public knowledge, a.k.a. open-source. So, feel free to download the two trees, and compare them. Which I did a couple of days ago, independent of your question. Or, if you want to save some time, browse directly through the source code, noting the modification dates (note that the majority is due to SCM changes): Then we can start re-evaluating our statements on what might or might not have changed; your guest or VirtualBox. I prefer concrete evidence to flimsy guesstimates...
jorge.raimundo wrote:So, common logic dictates that something is wrong with the installer.
Nope. That's your logic. If something is wrong in my house, it must be the neighbor's fault. Also, as I said, your logic doesn't seem to apply to the millions of other users that are using a Win guest. I wouldn't call two instances "common". On the contrary, common logic would dictate that something is wrong with your system.
jorge.raimundo wrote:@socratis: have you heard about logical fallacies?
Unfortunately more than I would like to, or I can endure...
jorge.raimundo wrote:You can try to sweep this under the carpet and pretend it is not a problem, but that doesn't solve it.
Oh, I'm not trying to sweep anything under the carpet, I've got nothing to gain or lose; you do. And I proposed a standardized way to prove where's the problem. But you can't, due to company policies. I understand, but I can't help you there...

And now let me ask you this: do you think that these policies are affecting your guest? Can you be absolutely sure about that? Or your antivirus? Or the updates to your antivirus? Would you be so sure to bet on it?

There is something wrong with your guest's setup. Accept that fact and start looking in that direction instead of trying to figure out what's wrong in a complete red herring hunt.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jorge.raimundo

Post by jorge.raimundo »

Well, here's where you're absolutely, 100% wrong in your assumptions. Because the source code for both 5.2.6 and 5.2.8 are public knowledge, a.k.a. open-source. So, feel free to download the two trees, and compare them.
Yet one fails and the other succeeds! Source code is not the only thing that goes into package building/release process of a given software!
And now let me ask you this: do you think that these policies are affecting your guest? Can you be absolutely sure about that? Or your antivirus? Or the updates to your antivirus? Would you be so sure to bet on it?
Yes, probably, but again, these same policies do not affect version 5.2.6 installation process.
There is something wrong with your guest's setup. Accept that fact and start looking in that direction instead of trying to figure out what's wrong in a complete red herring hunt.
You absolutely can not state that. You have no idea of the conditions of my guest! Again, this same guest seems to be not problem for version 5.2.6

Now, let's stick with the facts: version 5.2.6 installs perfectly, version 5.2.8 gives me an error.
I can try this as many times you wish, the outcome will always be the same.
This being given, I see two possibilities:
  1. My guest is constantly "making changes" and guessing which version I'm trying to install and changing its setup so that it fails for 5.2.8 and succeeds for the 5.2.6
  2. The installers are different
I fail to see any other option. If you see it, please, feel free to complement.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jorge.raimundo wrote:Source code is not the only thing that goes into package building/release process of a given software!
Umm... actually it is. By definition.
jorge.raimundo wrote:You have no idea of the conditions of my guest!
True, but if the gazillions of other installations are an indication, I'm confident enough to bet the farm that this is not a VirtualBox problem, this is a specific guest problem.
jorge.raimundo wrote:I can try this as many times you wish, the outcome will always be the same.
You know the saying about trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, right? :D
jorge.raimundo wrote:I fail to see any other option.
Well, let me start... Do you have an antivirus installed? Host/guest? Do you see this with other VMs? Do you see this if you do a fresh install of your guest? The list is endless. I cannot remote-diagnose or remote-troubleshoot your guest. I'm not sitting in front of your computer, you are.

From my point of view I can only note the fact that there are 2 reports/complaints about this. So far it's noise/user problem, based on the evidence presented. If it escalates to double-digit reports, then maybe it's worth taking a look at what has changed in the guests. Because as sure as I type, nothing has changed in VirtualBox.

If you seriously want to troubleshoot your guest's installation problems, take a look at: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84947#p403623 a procedure written for a Windows host, but equally applying to a Windows guest. Minus the actual filenames...
 Edit: In fact, come to think of it, I would do it for both the 5.2.6 and the 5.2.8 GAs. Then compare the logs... 
RBSAL

Post by RBSAL »

I have the same problem

I could not install guest 5.2.8

Thank

Renzo
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Renzo
Please be specific. There can be many problems with the same end result. We need details, a lot more details...
RBSAL

Post by RBSAL »

I atach the installation log.

Thanks.

Renzo
Attachments
install_ui.log
Install UI Log
(4.72 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ERROR: Caller is not in Administrators group to (un)install this driver package!
So? The installer seems to be quite descriptive. There's a problem in (un)installing the driver.

Any updates recently? Running an antivirus or something that would prevent this? In any event, this is an issue between your guest and the Microsoft installer. Treat it as such...