DOS program running in Windows cursor value is a solid block

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
aims

DOS program running in Windows cursor value is a solid block

Post by aims »

I am having a problem with DOS applications running in Windows XP. The DOS cursor is sometimes a solid block in the blank I want to enter data in when the cursor should be a blinking underscore.

Does anyone know why sometimes the DOS cursor is a solid block on the input value and in other DOS screens it is the normal blinking underscore?
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Re: DOS program running in Windows cursor value is a solid b

Post by ghr »

Typically (in a DOS program) underscore means normal entry mode and block means insert mode...... Not a "hard" standard though; try the insert key to check.
aims

Post by aims »

I tried the "Insert" key and the cursor goes to a blinking underline. It is a bit strange because hitting the "Insert" key is not necessary in a Windows XP command window or Win98se for that matter.

I would like the cursor to behave the same way as Windows XP when it is directly installed on a PC. Is there a way to define this behavior or default to a blinking underline the same way it is in a Windows DOS window? Data entry is difficult when a solid white block is blinking over a white input character.
aims

Post by aims »

After giving this thought, if the character was not the same color as the cursor, which is white character input and white cursor block in my case, the problem would be solved.

Is there a way to enforce that the color of the cursor block is in high contrast to the input field value?
aims

Post by aims »

The cursor block in over-write mode (hit the "Insert" key in DOS) does not blink. Under DOS, the cursor block blinks giving the user an opportunity to see the character value in the field.

Can VirtualBox be configured for a solid block "over-write" cursor to blink the way it normally does in DOS?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You are barking up the wrong tree here. Most of the features you discuss are implemented in the guest OS code, and have nothing to do with VirtualBox. You might as well ask if the column width in a Word document in a Windows guest can be set using VirtualBox... no it can't.
aims

Post by aims »

No you are incorrect. Installed directly on the same PC, Windows XP in the command window has a blinking cursor. When installed in VirtualBox, the same Windows XP command cursor is non-blinking. You might want to check this out yourself.

Please test for yourself before making comments. I need solutions.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

What is the application that you are experiencing this with? I see a blinking cursor and a blinking square with the ones I use.
aims

Post by aims »

Perryg Posted:
"Strange. The underscore blinks on mine, and the insert square blinks as well. Perhaps you have something configured wrong on the guest."

Perryg, your observation is the same behavior I see in the CMD "command" window. It is when I run the DOS apps that I see the large solid non-blinking block. The solid non-blinking block only occurs when in VirtualBox. In the command window on a direct to hardware installation of Win XP on the same machine, I get the normal blinking cursor block.

I am going to check on the DOS apps with an old programmer like myself to see what interaction with VBox might possibly be causing this.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

aims wrote:Please test for yourself before making comments. I need solutions.
You're not making any sense, that's the problem.

Are you by any chance talking about fullscreen DOS sessions and expecting everyone to guess that that's the case, even though you never once mentioned it?
aims

Post by aims »

This should clear the definition of the problem:

1 - When I use our DOS app in Windows XP installed directly on a PC, the cursor is a solid block, and it blinks.

2 - When I use our DOS app in Windows XP running in VirtualBox, the cursor is a solid block, and it does not blink.

The bottom line is that data entry is difficult when the character field is blocked out by a solid block non-blinking cursor. If the field values showed up in high contrast to the cursor or if the cursor blinked, the problem would be solved.

The DOS app runs in a full screen mode. I didn't think windowed or full screen should make a difference, but it does in this case.
Last edited by aims on 10. Oct 2012, 22:47, edited 3 times in total.
aims

Post by aims »

One thing you all can try:

1 - Run the application "edit" from the DOS command window in your VirtualBox Windows XP guest OS.
2 - Type "hello" in the edit application.
3 - Hit the "Insert" key and move the blinking block cursor over the word "hello". Notice that the cursor blinks over the characters making it possible the read all the characters.
4 - Type "Ctrl" + "Enter" to enter full screen mode. Notice that the cursor no longer blinks. It is a solid block non-blinking cursor. It now covers characters masking them from view as you move the cursor back and forth across the word "hello".

The DOS full screen non-blinking block cursor is the problem. Can this be fixed?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

aims wrote:The DOS full screen non-blinking block cursor is the problem. Can this be fixed?
Can it be fixed? The answer is almost always yes (few things can't be done). Will it be fixed... probably not anytime soon as it appears the number of affected users is extremely small. There are just far too many more important issues.

See vga_draw_text() in http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trun ... DevVGA.cpp and note the comment about missing support for flashing (blinking). Any volunteers to add that?
aims

Post by aims »

I've looked at the code to get the cursor to blink in a DOS / Command window full-screen mode. I haven't coded in years, and it is a bit beyond my coding capability.

If anyone can help with this, I sure would appreciate it. It has been a big problem for my legacy DOS apps.
aims

Post by aims »

Still need a blinking DOS cursor in full-screen Windows DOS command mode.

I hope someone can help with this. I am currently looking at VMWare, but I have worked everything else in our DOS applications into VirtualBox with Windows XP Pro for the guest OS, and I hate to do all of this over again.

Please help. It would make a very nice Christmas present!