Help needed setting up Host-only subnet.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
markfilipak2
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18

Re: Help needed setting up Host-only subnet.

Post by markfilipak2 »

From the Guest:
C:\Documents and Settings\Mark>ping 192.168.56.1

Pinging 192.168.56.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.56.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

We can continue this tomorrow. All I can say now is that we are reproducing exactly what I'd done a week ago. I got DNS to work but not packets. Goodnight, Perry.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

From the Host.
F:\Angie\foo>ping 192.168.56.102

Pinging 192.168.56.102 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.56.102: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.56.102:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

This is from your post.

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-C6-05-19
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a00:27ff:fec6:519%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.100

Now since VirtualBox does not have a router and no gateway. This is simply not going to work because the guest is told to look at a gateway that does not exist. So while you may be able to reach the guest, the guest should not be able to reach the host.

I would try an ipconfig /release then an ipconfig /renew to see if you can clear the gateway.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perry. I've GOT to be doing something wrong...

This morning I did an experiment. I used VBox Mgr. > Files > Preferences > Network > [+] to create a new Host-only adapter. Then I started the Guest, tried to create a network, and then shut down the Guest. Then I used VBox Mgr. > Files > Preferences > Network > [-] to remove Host-only. I did this 3 times. At no time was there more than 1 Host-only adaper in existence.

#1: 192.168.186.1/24 (no DHCP server was created, no DNS, no gateway)
#2: 192.168.91.1/24 (no DHCP server was created, no DNS, no gateway)
#3: 192.168.0.1/24 (no DHCP server was created, no DNS, no gateway)

Why different each time? Why no DHCP or DNS servers? Why no gateway?

At each step, I created a new network in the Guest using the Windows Network Setup Wizzard. It failed each time.
#1: 169.254.205.181/16 (DHCP client, no DNS, no gateway).
#2: 169.254.205.181/16 (DHCP client, no DNS, no gateway).
#3: 169.254.205.181/16 (DHCP client, no DNS, no gateway).

Yes, that's right. The Guest didn't change. I tried re-installing Guest Additions with each step prior to using Network Setup Wizzard. No cigar.

Conclusion: A Host-only network cannot be created automatically. Manual settings are needed.

Don't take this personnally, but that's simply unacceptable. How can I give this VM to my neighbor and expect them (adults and kids) to be able to get the networking going? NAT is automatic, but nearly everyone is going to expect to be able to print to the Host from inside a Guest. As it is, this VBox technology looks like a non-starter for the vast majority of people. It's not that it's too complex for them to understand. It's that too much is hidden and there's too much that is mysterious. Networking just can't be dummed down that much and be comprehensible. Networking needs to be completely automatic or it needs to be completely manual.

I once had a graphical audio and video playback and record application. To make a CD ripper, for example, you dragged out a CD source and configured it. Then you dragged and dropped a CD file system reader. Then you dragged a wire out of the output of the CD source and plugged it into the file system's input. You continued that way through CODECs, filters, splitters, etc., all the way to speakers and an output file. That's the way networking needs to be. There need to be droppable clients and servers with the IP & MAC layers exposted. There need to be graphical IP switches and IP routers and MAC switches and tunnels. The user can then 'wire' them and - voila! - you have a viable network diagram with a clearly presented network topology. A network driver maker could traverse that diagram and build the real network driver chain.

Humor: One article calls a metal and ceramic thingy a "spark plug". Another calls it an "ignition device". Neither has a picture. Another article shows a picture of it as part of an engine but doesn't name it. Yet another article goes into great depth about how spark plugs work, but without explaining why they are necessary and how they function with other parts of the engine. Does this sound familiar? Does it sound like VBox documentation?

How can I rescue the weeks of work I've put into VirtualBox?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I won't take this personal if you don't take this personal. I have never seen a single person here have this much trouble with the host-only adapter. Sure there have been issues but normally easily resolved but setting the correct addresses. In my last few posts I suggested that you simply change the one address and then to open the guest and do an ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew. Why did you go and delete the adapter? Did you try what I suggested before doing so?

I have no idea what has been done on the host with the exception of you adding ICS nor what has happened to the guest that put the gateway address in when none exists. But I would suggest that somehow the host/guest must be corrupt now or actually the registry of one or both are.

My ambition was to get back to a working copy of the host-only adapter using the default settings and editing where needed to make this happen, but when you go and proceed experimenting it throws everything back to square one. Hopefully you can see where this makes it impossible for me to follow or even give advise on where to go next especially when I am remote and have no idea what transpired aside from what you post here.

Perhaps someone else needs to step in because evidently I am not able to get you through this. It happens sometimes which I regret but maybe it would be better for you to get a different approach from someone else to your issue and maybe even a resolve.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perryg wrote:...never seen a single person here have this much trouble with the host-only adapter...
Coders ask me to test their code because I have a real reputation as a code breaker. If you have a computer application, give it to me for testing. I'll break it.
Perryg wrote:...In my last few posts I suggested that you simply change the one address and then to open the guest and do an ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew.
Perry. I did that. It was a few posts back, but that's exactly what I did. I even asked you some questions but you didn't reply.
Perryg wrote:...you adding ICS...
No Perry. You asked me to take ICS out of the Host, so that's what I did. I think you're getting confused.
Perryg wrote:...nor what has happened to the guest that put the gateway address in when none exists.
No Perry. The guest shows that it has no gateway. You definitely ARE getting confused.
Perryg wrote:My ambition was to get back to a working copy of the host-only adapter using the default settings and editing where needed to make this happen, but when you go and proceed experimenting it throws everything back to square one.
How is that? I can wire up a network and bring it back to any particular past state.
Perryg wrote:Hopefully you can see where this makes it impossible for me to follow or even give advise on where to go next especially when I am remote and have no idea what transpired aside from what you post here.
Of course this is difficult. Otherwise, they wouldn't have a guy as smart as you handling it. Just remember: Every difficult journey leads to destination worth reaching for riches are to be found there.

Shall we begin anew?
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Look. Let's start at the beginning. The first thing anyone has to do is make a Host-only driver. That is done in the VBox Mgr. File > Perferences. I've done it several times. Each time, the Host-only driver has NO DHCP, NO DNS, NO GATEWAY.

The first question is this: Why is my VBox Mgr. screwing up?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

At this point why doesn't matter.
With the guest shut down (not saved state)
  • Step one create the host-only adapter if it is not already there. If it is there skip to the next step.
    Step two make sure that addresses match the screen shot I sent earlier (edit if/where they differ).
    Step three start the guest and see if the address is correct and that you have no gateway.
    sub-step three if there is a gateway try an ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew.
    step four look at the ipconfig and make sure there is no gateway.
    step five If there is a gateway still there delete the guests adapter and reboot the guest.
    Check the guest again to see if that cleared the guest gateway issue.
Let me know what happens but do nothing else until I see what happens.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perryg wrote:At this point why doesn't matter.
Okay. I'll play...
Perryg wrote:With the guest shut down (not saved state)
Step one create the host-only adapter if it is not already there.
Whoa! Let's stop there for a moment.
Host-only.png
Host-only.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 7840 times
Next Up:
Perryg wrote:
  • Step two make sure that addresses match the screen shot I sent earlier (edit if/where they differ).
    Step three start the guest and see if the address is correct and that you have no gateway.
    step five If there is a gateway still there delete the guests adapter and reboot the guest.
    Check the guest again to see if that cleared the guest gateway issue.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

continue.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Just to confirm: Host-only.png is correct & normal to this point... Yes or No?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

No it is not. Like I said something is corrupt. Use the screen shots I sent and edit the host-only to match mine.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perryg wrote:With the guest shut down (not saved state)
  • Step one create the host-only adapter if it is not already there. If it is there skip to the next step.
    Step two make sure that addresses match the screen shot I sent earlier (edit if/where they differ).
Host-only.png
Host-only.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 7835 times
Next Up:
Perryg wrote:Step three start the guest and see if the address is correct and that you have no gateway.
Check the guest again to see if that cleared the guest gateway issue.[/list]

markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

For step 3, do you want me to remove networking in the Guest (currently, Host-only) and then reinstall Host-only in the Guest and then start the Guest (and perhaps reinstall the Guest Additions)?