Help needed setting up Host-only subnet.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Help needed setting up Host-only subnet.

Post by Perryg »

The flaw in this is you don't have a router. You have a proxy.
I don't see this working either myself. Perhaps someone else will.
markfilipak2
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18

Post by markfilipak2 »

The connections shown in the previous post didn't work and I don't know why. While I was trying to get it wired up, Windows was busy changing/undoing/redoing what I was doing. I'd get the TCPIP set up for one adapter and move on to the next and Windows would undo some of what I'd done. Then when I configured the second adapter, Windows would flag a conflict. Sure enough, when I brought the first adapter's properties up, Windows had changed them and they did indeed conflict with the second adapter I'd just wired up.

When I tried to get ICS working, Windows claimed that there was a duplicate name on the network. What name? Of course, being Windows, it doesn't tell me.

I can't discount the possibility that I have some very deeply embedded, fundamental misunderstanding of networking which has remained hidden all these years.

During my wiring, I had to change the connection shown as "L.105". To avoid DHCP conflict, I made it "L.150". Host-only then appeared to be happy but I never got to test it.

Connections L.103 & L.104 are totally opaque.

This morning, I had to tear out host-only to get by Internet connection back. DHCP had worked (I got 192.168.1.100) but I couldn't ping the gateway (192.168.1.1). When I tore out host-only (I did not fire up the Guest), then my Internet connection healed.

PS: Aha! We went to page 7, eh? That's why I didn't see your response.
Good morning, Perry.

A proxy? Not a router? I assume you mean ICS, right?
Last edited by markfilipak2 on 9. Aug 2012, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Assuming you refer to ICS, if it's not a router, why does it have a routing table?
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

In a previous post, Perry, you implied that Windows is running some sort of process that tries to autoconfigure behind my wiring, even for hardwired connections. Can that be turned off?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Mark,
Problems you are having with Windows should be addressed by Windows. I simply don't have the time to provide support for anything other than VirtualBox issues, or teach someone how to do network stacks, protocols, Etc.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perryg wrote:Problems you are having with Windows should be addressed by Windows. I simply don't have the time to provide support for anything other than VirtualBox issues, or teach someone how to do network stacks, protocols, Etc.
I appreciate that, Perry. But how can I tell that it's a Windows problem or a VBox problem? That requires knowledge I guess I don't have. Are you just getting fatigued with this? I could understand that... I can ...but a little help would go a long way.

For example, What did you mean by proxy? You said it's a proxy. What? Windows ICS? I don't know anything about proxies and what I've read is all too nonspecific and abstract ...too dumbed down(?) I think this illustrates what little help there is in the VBox help. I know to someone with your knowledge, that sounds like ingratitude, but from a product-success standpoint, we poor users need better help. If I had your knowledge, I wouldn't be here. If help means assisting me to gain that knowledge, then isn't that what it takes? It's not really our fault, but then again I know you're getting frustrated. If you're frustrated, how do you think I feel?

I have a solid track record helping other users. I have been a pretty heavy contributor to javascript faqts and to webmasterworld. I've spent much time helping others but I discovered that it gave me a perspective that helped me in turn.

Did you mean that Windows ICS is really a proxy service? Can you point me to any article anywhere where this is explained?

In an early post, you said
Perryg wrote:OK the host-only address is set to the following Windows apipa address scheme:
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.46.17
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Is this related to some sort of "service" that's going in behind me that is rewiring my network and undoing what I'm trying to do. Do you know the name of that service? (...I dumped all of my running services using sc query and can't find such a service.)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Mark,

What you are trying to do is not within the scope of VirtualBox. Sure, if you have enough knowledge you can make it work, but that is not to say it should by default. I have explained this is great detail and even tried to help you get to a functioning host-only network, but you keep going off track and trying to go somewhere else with the discussion. Your first step should be and always should have been to get back to a working host-only guest without your "improvements", but I can't make you follow my advise. Instead you edit registries, create flow charts, and insist that you want to do something that IMHO is not worth the time to make happen. The way I isolate a guest or guests is to actually create a guest with two adapters, one set to NAT and one to Internal and make that guest what you call a router. Then assign the actual guest/s to use it for their network connectivity. But this is going to be hard for you if you do not have enough memory to run multiple guests.

It's the same as isolating a domain for testing or experimenting without messing up your LAN.
Setup Windows Domain in VirtualBox

7 pages of what I would consider wasted time just is not making me want to go ahead with this, so let me know if you are still bent on doing it your way.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perry, I've tried just setting up host-only without ICS. I couldn't get it to work. You thought my registry was corrupted. (I can't blame you if you forgot that detail, but do you remember that I submitted a bug in which when host-only is removed, VBox doesn't do sufficient registry clean up so that, later, when host-only is reinstalled, it fails? Do you remember that? That is a VBox issue, isn't it? That's why I cleaned my registry. I generally don't do things willy-nilly you know.)
Perryg wrote:But this is going to be hard for you if you do not have enough memory to run multiple guests.
Three days ago I bought 2 GB of RAM. It should arrive today or tomorrow. (Right now I just have 1 GB, which has not previously been an issue.)

Let me give you a specific example...

When I try to turn on ICS when the Host has both an Ethernet adapter and the host-only adapter, ICS asks me to "Select a private network connection". The choices are: Ethernet and VBox Host-Only. Actually, neither of them is the connection I want to connect. What I want to connect is the Guest's NAT adapter. Do I need to add a loopback adapter in the Host to give ICS something to connect to when the Guest is not running? Then the issue will be how to connect the Guest to the other end of the loopback, eh? What to you think? Help me, please. Give me your knowledgeable opinion, please.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

When I try to turn on ICS when the Host has both an Ethernet adapter and the host-only adapter, IC
See? This is what I mean. I am not interested in making the host-only adapter work other than how it was designed.
Like I said perhaps some else will.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perry. Please read what I wrote. I'm not trying to connect the host-only adapter to ICS. I'm trying to use host-only for Host, only. I'm now trying to connect the loopback adapter to ICS so that, 1, I can give the loopback to ICS as the adapter to connect when the Guest is not running, and 2, to give the Guest something to connect to when it is running. Does that make sense to you?
Arturo Bandini

Post by Arturo Bandini »

Very simple: turn off firewalls