Help needed setting up Host-only subnet.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
markfilipak2
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18

Re: Help needed setting up Host-only subnet.

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perryg wrote:You right click on the top level (VIRTUAL)
You can at this point go ahead and delete the AMD PCnet device first.
Guest Device Manager 2.png
Guest Device Manager 2.png (17.62 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
There is no "delete" option. Do you want me to uninstall it?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Sure just get rid of it for now. I want to make sure that everything attached to the last interface is gone.
Then you can reboot (preferred) or scan for new devices here.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Guest Device Manager 3.png
Guest Device Manager 3.png (15.93 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
I've been using Windows since v. 1.2 and I didn't know about "Scan for hardware changes".
Now that the E-net adapter is back in place, do you still want me to reboot?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

yes, please.
Windows loves a good reboot.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Okay. Before reboot, here's what I have:
Guest Network Connection Details 2.png
Guest Network Connection Details 2.png (5.83 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
Rebooting...
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

...I'm back. I took the liberty of running ipconfig:
Guest ipconfig 4.txt
(964 Bytes) Downloaded 19 times
I still have a gateway....
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

So either the guest has this engrained in it or the host is generating it. You have to find out what you did and reverse it. VirtualBox does not generate this gateway as you can see in my ipconfig I sent of an XP guest using host-only. I would put my suspicions on the host and the ICS stuff you tried to make work with host-only. Maybe you could use the Windows system restore to take it back to a point in time before you started working on it. This is something that can not be done remotely I'm afraid.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perry. It looks like VirtualBox may not be doing WinRegistry cleanup. I have a Nework Adapter device that's unknown other than that it's Device Instance Id is "ROOT\NET\0002". Before I posted the head of this thread, I tried reinstalling (the installer calls it "Repair") VBox 3 times. I have exported some stuff from the WinRegistry. There are 3 occurrances of that Id, and there's 3 more classes that don't exist in the registry. As you will see, it all fingers VBox. I have attached a ZIP of the pertinent WinRegistry entries. Would you be so kind as to pass it on to the Windows Host Developers to see what they think and if there's something I should do (like delete those WinRegistry entries). I tried to uninstall the bogus Network Adapter but Device Manager can't do it. Thanks!
ROOT%NET%0002.zip
(4.83 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You can create a ticket at bugtracker yourself Mark. It would do no good for me to do it because you are going to need to provide some information that I do not have.

I do know that Windows creates a lot of noise in the registry as far as network drivers and adapters go if you add/remove NIC adapters and the like. I see the two host-only and that would be correct since you create another one to test with. Remember Windows is in control of removing things from the registry when it comes to the network.

Drop this in Google remove old network adapters from registry in windows xp for additional information. Beware though as most of the time using a cleaner or removing registry entries manually prompts a system failure and can forces a new install if you do not backup the hive key/s and are not able to actually boot Windows.

The DEVs may know of another way to do this but they will tell you in reply to the ticket.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Thanks Perry. For your future reference, I reread the early posts in this thread. I saw how, in the first few posts, I'd deleted the Unknown Adapter (Net) by updating the driver manually and pointing the device installer to the Oracle Corp. - Host-only driver. Well... I just tried it again ....and ....the Unknown Adapter DISAPPEARED.

Now the existing Host-only adapter IP address is 169.254.27.11/16. Yow! I'll fix that and wire up the rest of the subnet by hand. I'll let you know the result (...by hand is okay with me).

One last thing you MAY know. Is the tunnel at the link-layer? Is that why the Host-only shouldn't have an IP gateway?

PS: I once installed Wi-Fi without WEP or WPA and achieved perfect security... At the link-layer: If your MAC address isn't on the invitation list, you're barred.

PPS: AH! I GET IT! The IP for Host-only (192.168.56.1) is at the HOST end of the tunnel. That's why I could ping it from the host but not from the guest.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I'll wait to reply until you are done.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Okay. I posted the bugreport. Now to understanding what VBox Net is really doing. Are you game?

The Guest is at 192.168.56.101/24.
A DHCP server is at 192.168.56.100/24, but it doesn't appear to be there because it doesn't support ping.
The gateway of the 192.168.56/24 subnet is a tunnel that links MAC 08-00-27-00-D4-D8 & MAC A9-FE-1B-0B (never mind that the IP is now wrong).
The host end of the tunnel should be given IP: 192.168.56.1/24 (however, it is now 169.254.27.11/16).
ipconfig /all is attached.
Host ipconfig -all 5.txt
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
What do you think, oh Guru? I await your thoughts with my breath held.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Mark its like this.
host = 192.168.56.1
Subnet = 255.255.255.0

guest = 192.168.56.101 for the first guest 102 for the second guest
Subnet = 255.255.255.0

NO GATEWAY, NO DNS.

It is just a virtual switch connection and not a router. The sooner you get that part figured out then you will know why a gateway kills the guest to host communications.

You must edit the hosts side to make sure that it is exactly what I have been telling you all along Here are the screen shots again so you don't need to look it up.
Make yours look like these. If the guest still shows a gateway then it will not work no matter how many ways you change things.
host-only-1.png
host-only-1.png (25.24 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
host-only-2.png
host-only-2.png (28.41 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Perryg wrote:Mark its like this.
host = 192.168.56.1
I believe my host is 192.168.1.100/24 (assigned by DHCP by the exterior router), or at least, that's what my system says.
Perryg wrote:It is just a virtual switch connection and not a router. The sooner you get that part figured out then you will know why a gateway kills the guest to host communications.
Actually, I do get that part. (I acknowledged it several posts back, but I can understand that you're not serving just me and may forget the details).

Oh wait. Are you trying to tell me my Host has 2 IPs? One is 192.168.1.100 (with the exterior router) and the other is 192.168.56.1 (with the host-only subnet)? Well, that really does make sense. Duh! So now, I have to find a way to connect 192.168.1.100 with 192.168.56.1, and that's where my Host's routing table comes in. Right?
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

I can't get the Guest to give up on a gateway. It WAS autoconfigured. I changed it to manual. I filled in IP: 192.168.56.101/24 with NO GATEWAY. I've rebooted the Guest several times. The connection properties STILL show a gateway at IP: 192.168.56.1/24. The Guest cannot ping 192.168.56.1. This is really getting frustrating.