XP guest hangs on reboot esp. after MS Updates

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.

XP guest hangs on reboot esp. after MS Updates

Postby scottgus1 » 14. Jun 2012, 15:05

I have had XP guests sometimes hang when doing a Windows-Update-invoked reboot. Both XP and 7 hosts, different versions of Virtualbox.

The guests get to just before the VM window would shrink to 640x480. They stop responding, no disk or network activity, just XP's peacefully-running light blue (not BSOD blue) background. If I pause/unpause or save-state/restart the VM window turns black and gets a grid of greenish yellow lines filling half the window. The VM does nothing else and I have to reset it. Then it boots up normally.

Two XP guests sometimes exhibit this behavior for now. I used to have this problem in a third guest, but it hasn't shown itself for a long while, despite still getting the same Windows updates as the two present offenders.

I have searched and found references to audio being the culprit (one guest has audio, one used to but does not now). Also, "absolute pointer" has been fingered, but I never use that setting and neither guest has ever had it turned on. I hunted thru the bug tracker but couldn't find a pertinent post, only one post actually mentioned Windows updates and the poster didn't put in logs, so the post had no activity.

So, here's the logs:

XP guest: "XPnet"; XP host, audio on, no absolute pointer, VB version 3.1.2 (this one runs all the time with no scheduled reboots, I think all the logs in the zip are from Windows-Update-induced hanged reboots)

XPnet logs.zip
(32.88 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

XP guest: "Email Tester" Windows 7 host, audio used to be on but now disabled in VM settings, no absolute pointer, VB version 4.0.16 (this one is shut down by a host-induced Vboxmanage command every night; only the most recent log was a Windows-update-induced hanged reboot, the earlier logs should be normal shutdowns. I've also had this VM running on version 3.2.12 on a different Windows 7 host, with the same behavior)

email tester logs.zip
(41.22 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

The third guest that used to have this problem also was XP, audio on, no absolute pointer. It just had a Windows Update same time as the other two, but did not hang during reboot. Here's this VM's last Windows-Update-successful-reboot log for reference:

Antispam-2012-06-11-23-32-22.zip
(14.3 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Guest Additions are current in each VM. I have not seen if other causes for in-guest-invoked reboots cause hanging, and I haven't had the hang happen when I tell the guest to reboot from the guest's Start menu or a "Shutdown -r". It seems that Windows Update is the only rebooter that causes this to happen that I've noticed so far. And I've not experienced Windows Update having a problem rebooting the physical XP PCs I have at home.
running version 3.1.2, 3.2.12, 4.0.16, 4.2.16
Human government is like that crazy uncle who hides a quarter in his fist behind his back, then asks you to guess which fist the quarter is in.
No matter which side you choose, Left or Right, both Sides are empty.
scottgus1

Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP SBS2003 Win7

Re: XP guest hangs on reboot esp. after MS Updates

Postby Perryg » 14. Jun 2012, 15:31

I remember on older versions where when rebooting a Windows guest it would hang. The biggest reason was the audio which has been fixed in the newer releases 4.*. I don't know if the fixes were backported though. bugtracker has the history on this if you would like to check it out.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX - Other

Postby scottgus1 » 14. Jun 2012, 16:27

I googled thru Bugtracker without much success (various search strings related to: "xp guest" hangs reboot "windows update" site:www.virtualbox.org) I found bug 3792, which hasn't had new activity on it for a couple years. One of the offending VM's is on 4.0.16, so maybe v4 still has it in some cases.
I'll put this on Bugtracker. I am not in the position to switch VB versions, tho, just hoping some guru might notice a VM setting that they know causes it... (Audio was present but is now disabled in the 4.0.16 VM settings, btw, and still has the problem.)
Human government is like that crazy uncle who hides a quarter in his fist behind his back, then asks you to guess which fist the quarter is in.
scottgus1

Postby Perryg » 14. Jun 2012, 16:34

Use this keyword search in Google: xp hangs on reboot site:virtualbox.org
There are several listed and the latest was fixed in 4.1.14 so you may need to actually post a ticket at bugtracker.
Be sure to post logs and explain that you really can't update and wonder if there is a patch or will/can the fixes be backported.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX - Other

Postby scottgus1 » 14. Jun 2012, 16:55

Thanks, Perry. I did open a ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10670 Hopefully just asetting needs to be changed. I'll take a look at that search you suggested, too.
scottgus1

Postby HockeyBum » 29. May 2013, 16:15

I am running in to the same problem.
Host: VB 4.1.12 on Ubuntu 12.10.
Guest: WinXP Pro 32-bit

I checked the bug tracker referenced here, no activity in the last 11 months on this. I downloaded/installed Guest Additions (It downloaded the current version I assume) from within VB. I did this while Windows was applying updates, could this be the cause?

Shall I post my logs and/or open a new bug tracker?
HockeyBum

Postby noteirak » 29. May 2013, 16:53

I think the first step you should do is try with a newer (or latest) version of Virtualbox to see if the bug is fixed, just like indicated by Frank (one of the devs) in the ticket.
HyperBox - Open-source Entreprise Virtualization Manager - http://hyperbox.altherian.org
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
noteirak
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Return to Windows Guests