Physical to Virtual Win7 Guest Blue Screens at Boot

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Physical to Virtual Win7 Guest Blue Screens at Boot

Post by mpack »

PhilS in JP wrote:The VM now boots. :D
Well done, a good application of persistence. :-)
The only issue now is that it attempts to run a chkdsk on the recovery partition on every boot. That fails and then everything works after that. Any idea how to stop the chkdsk? I haven't looked in the forum yet, but will do that later today.
ISTR there's a flag which gets set in the boot sector of a partition, which causes it to run chkdsk on next boot (actually that's how it worked on XP, I don't know about Win7+boot manager). Normally the flag is reset after you answer the y/n question on next boot, or allowing chkdsk to proceed should fix it too. If that doesn't work then I'm afraid it's Google time again: I'd be looking for discussion threads where someone has upgraded their disk... something of that nature.
Lauscher
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu 7.04+10.04, Xubuntu 11.10

Post by Lauscher »

Hello,
something that may help:
* You can download a Windows 7 installation disk to make a repair of your system.
* There is a fixme of Microsoft for 0x7B
* sometimes it helps to use IDE instead of SATA in VirtualBox
* Some driver problems are solved using MergeIDE
GVVM

Post by GVVM »

Hello,

I've followed the steps mentioned in this and other link mentioned still I cannot get past the BSOD. Any help appreciated.
Lauscher

Post by Lauscher »

Hello GVVM,

what number has your BSOD?
GVVM

Post by GVVM »

Hello Lauscher,

Thanks for your reply.

With a mix of posts and other online threads, I was able to take a successful image of the existing machine and open it as VM. For anyone else going through this process, here are the relevant links.

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 -- had to be applied to the machine before you start to create a VHD image.

2. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 56415.aspx

Currently, I am facing an issue with the VM image NOT ABLE to connect to internet. I have a separate thread opened for this. I tried a fresh install of WIn7 and that works just fine. However, my image clone, does not connect to internet. Any pointers, help, appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52658

-gv
GVVM

Post by GVVM »

Hello,

I was able to resolve all issues related to converting my Physical machine to a VM with the help of this note.

However, still I am unable to connect to internet/any network connectivity for that matter.

I tried a fresh Win7 install and that VM worked right out of the box. So its not an issue with the VirtualBox software itself.

Any help why my P2V Win7 network connections are not working and any insights to get it working will be appreciated.

Thanks
=gv
Lauscher

Post by Lauscher »

Hello gvvm!

The standart network adapter type is NAT. Sometimes it helps to change it to "Brigded Network" (german "Netzwerkbrücke").

Good luck!
Lauscher
GVVM

Post by GVVM »

Tried them all, "NAT, Bridged etc".

No luck yet.

Any other ideas? please let me know.

=gv
vladman

Post by vladman »

This thread helped me resolve my BSOD issues with a disk2VHD created image. Thanks everyone, and especially PhilS!

Sorry GVVM, can't help, very new to virtual machines myself. Good luck!
ZachM

Post by ZachM »

Lauscher wrote:Hello,
something that may help:
* sometimes it helps to use IDE instead of SATA in VirtualBox
This forum post was the ticket to solve my BSOD with STOP: 0x0000007B after using Disk2VHD on Windows 7 64-bit. I'm running VirtualBox 4.2.6_OSE on FreeBSD 8.3 and was attempting to virtualize an existing Windows 7 installation.

What I did:

1) Create new VM, using "Existing Disk Image"
2) Tried to boot it. Resulted in BSOD.
3) Found this forum, thought that I might have to do the modify registry -> Disk2VHD again
4) On a whim, saw this note about IDE instead of SATA. My VHD was attached to VirtualBox via an emulated SATA controller.
5) Removed this controller, and re-attached the VHD that was giving me problems to the emulated IDE interface as the Primary disk
6) Rebooted and enjoyed a working Windows 7 installation!

Thanks a bunch, guys!

ZM
mickymix

Post by mickymix »

Thank you all...

Your precious information made me able to have my virtualized VAIO notebook reborn...

For further users facing the same problem I have to integrate the information included here with the following keys I had to reset to "zero" value, beside intelide and msahci.
(nobody of you said that the key to "zero" is the Start value... i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\[interface]\Start )

Since I tried with no success the above two, I've searched around a little bit more and found another hint from another user in another website, mentioning also the following interfaces to be "zero-ed":

aliide, amdide, atapi, cmdide, iastor (may not exists), iastorV, intelide, LSI_SAS, msahci, pciide and viaide

I don't know which one was the needed one for me, since I "zero-ed" all of the, both in the CurrentControlSet and in ControlSet2...

I only know that my VAIO was only giving BSOD with the first two only... and now, it is booting (some other problems are present, like the chkdsk at every boot, but at least it boots !).

I was near to lose any hope...

Thanks again you all...
NajiB

Post by NajiB »

Bumping this older thread (which comes up tops in search) to update and confirm BSOD due to drivers not being loaded in the VM is still troublesome. (And can make one :evil: )

Don't know if there's any way to overcome this in the vbox software itself, but the workaround remains necessary for the VM to boot (latest 5.2.6) for me:
In HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\<KEYNAME>\Start, change key values from 3h to 0h for the keys:
aliide, amdide, atapi, cmdide, iastor, iastorV, intelide, LSI_SAS, msahci, pciide and viaide

Then use IDE controller in VM config.
Important thing is to keep this info in a file so as not to waste several hours rediscovering it (again) in the future.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

NajiB wrote: Don't know if there's any way to overcome this in the vbox software itself:
There isn't. VirtualBox has no idea what software is running inside the box, or what its problems might be. For that you need to ask writers of said software, ie. Microsoft.

This is no different from any random program declaring "file not found", as that is exactly what this is, and no, VirtualBox can't guess or supply the missing resource.