Help with, "Your Direct X driver is corrupt or incorrect"

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
bamim2
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7 Pro 32-bit, WinXP, Ubuntu 10, Win2003, BSD, Win7Pro, Win2008, Win2003, Solaris 10

Re: Help with, "Your Direct X driver is corrupt or incorrect

Post by bamim2 »

You could maybe help ME out? I've never been able to get Aero to work on my Windows 7 Pro 32-bit guest even though it works fine on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit host. Any suggestions on what I might need to do to get Aero working? I've followed the instructions (as I understand them), of installing the Guest Additions, to activate the WDDM driver, checking 3D box NOT in Safe Mode, then when it says it's not a good idea for production systems, do I want to choose 3D? I choose NO & let it install the WDDM driver. Then, of course, Aero doesn't work. I've updated the Host's Video driver to the latest via Windows Updates. As per Perry's advice.

Are you saying that you installed the WDDM /3D driver IN Safe Mode & got it to work? I've been trying to get Aero to work on this VM for 4 versions. I would REALLY like to get it to work this time. Any suggestions would be great.
ckane
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, XP

Post by ckane »

You also want to make sure that you remove the offending DLLs from C:\Windows\system32\dllcache\ as well, or else it will still fail. In addition to replacing the d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll I removed all the lingering VBox*.dll and also the msd3d8.dll and msd3d9.dll.

Also, when uninstalling the VirtualBox Graphics Adapter from Device Manager, you need to keep repeating the "Uninstall" --> "Rescan" cycle until it stops detecting the VirtualBox adapter. Prior installations left about 10 versions of the VBox Graphics Adapter in my system, and every time I rescanned after an uninstall Windows attached it to a slightly older driver. I just repeated it a bunch of times until finally all older versions of the VirtualBox adapter were removed and the adapter recognized as "Standard VGA" instead.

I was eventually able to clean all of this out and get it to work, then install the newest Guest Additions with WDDM adapter and 3D accel works again.
bamim2
Guest OSses: Win7 Pro 32-bit, WinXP, Ubuntu 10, Win2003, BSD, Win7Pro, Win2008, Win2003, Solaris 10

Post by bamim2 »

I don't understand what you mean by "rescan". How do I do that? Are you saying do a search for 'vbox' & then delete everything that comes back? Even though I'm an Admin on my system Windows won't let me delete the files. What do I have to do?
lupowolf99
Guest OSses: windows 7

Post by lupowolf99 »

I have a similar problem i had a windows 7 guest version 4.1.6 additions installed in safe mode .after upgrading to 4.1.8
internet explorer would crash.dxdiag would hang .tried everything to fix.when installing additions 4.1.8 i would get direct x driver problems.
I installed new windows 7 guest installed additions wdds without problems worked fine

to fix old windows 7 guest i downgraded to 4.1.6 host and additions installed additions in safe mode then uninstalled in safe mode then installed additions in normal boot mode without 3d support this seems to fix all my problems with drivers
isalsberg
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows, linux, OS x

Post by isalsberg »

Same issue here: I installed the 3D option 416 in safe mode, and now it is impossible to have 3D support with 418.

I also tried everything suggested in this forum (uninstall 416 in safe mode, remove display drivers, restore d3d[89].dll's, go back to 416 and reinstall guest additions, then upgrade again, ...) but none of them worked.

I'd open a new bug ticket, but I am sure that a new release will come before it gets assigned :shock:

The only alternative I found was to downgrade to VB 416 with the same version of guest additions installed. Upgrading to 418 was such a waste of time.

I know that this is a free tool, but I think that it is a shame that Oracle releases new versions in such a careless way :?
matteosistisette
Guest OSses: windows vista

Post by matteosistisette »

I have the same issue and I can't get it to work!

I have upgraded from 4.0.12 to 4.1.8.
When trying to install the guest additions (with 3D support and seying "no" to the "basic 3d instead") I got the infamous "corrupt/invalid DirextX" error message and installation failed.

I followes Perryg's first advice:
Perryg wrote:Sounds like you have installed the 3D drivers in safe mode at one time or another [yep, indeed]. You would need to start the guest in safe mode and remove the guest additions and reboot. Then try to install the wddm driver (in normal mode).
but I still get the error.

So i followed Perryg's second advice:
Perryg wrote:I think this might help those with this issue.
• Guest Additions of version 4.1, 4.1.2 and 4.1.4 for Windows Thus VirtualBox WDDM

Video driver may be installed and kept in guest system if Guest additions uninstallation is performed. This is caused by a bug in Guest Additions uninstaller.

To solve this problem, one should uninstall the VirtualBox WDDM Video driver manually. To do that open Device Manager, and check whether the Display Adapter is named “VirtualBox Graphics Adapter ..“. If no - there is nothing to be done. If yes - right-click the VirtualBox Graphics Adapter in Device Manager, select “Uninstall”, check “Delete the driver software for this device” and click “OK”. Once uninstallation is done - in Device Manager go
to menu “Action” and select “Scan for hardware changes” to make the proper (Windows default) driver be picked up for the Graphics adapter.
which didn't change a thing, because after rebooting, the Virtual Box Graphics Drivers got somehow automatically reinstalled and was there again.

Then I realised I had missed this part:
You also need to read 12.3.10 Restoring d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll in your VirtualBox users guide if you have installed the 3D drivers in safe mode for the procedure to restore the original d3d drivers
but I searched the whole Windows 7 installation disk (it's 64bit in my case) and there are no such files (it's windows 7 64bit guest on Ubuntu 11.10 (32bit) host)

I guess I can find and download the files from wherever, but since they are not even in windows' installation disk I wonder if this will actually fix the issue...... or is that specific to i386 architecture??

thanks
m.
matteosistisette

By the way HOW do you copy d3d9.dll into Windows/system32?!?!?!?
I booted in Safe Mode but it won't let me overwrite that file. It says access denied. Even if I run cmd as administrator and copy it from the command line.

(it did let me copy d3d8 but not d3d9)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Extracting d3d8 and d3d9.dll from Vista/Windows7 installation CD or Service Pack iso
1. Download and install the latest version of 7-Zip File Manager http//www.7-zip.org
2. Browse into installation CD for example E:\sources
3. Locate file install.wim and double click it. After 7-Zip utility opens the file, you’ll get a
few numbered folders. Each numeric subfolder represents a different version of Windows
(Starter, Home Basic, and so on)
4. After entering into the one of the numeric folders, browse into Windows\System32 (or
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 for 64 bit version) directory locate d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll and
extract
5. Copy extracted d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll to C:\Windows\system32 or C:\Windows\SysWOW64
(files from system32 should go to system32, from SysWOW64 to SysWOW64)
6. Reboot

I see you found the part for Win7. Since you say you are using the 64-bit you need to make sure you copied them from the SysWOW64 and place it in the SysWOW64 folder on the guest.
matteosistisette

Well as I said there's no way I can overwrite the file d3d9.dll in system32 (I already tried the [in]famous takeown + cacls trick but it doesn't work)

I'll try with the syswow64 one, hoping the system32 one is not relevant, and hoping it will let me overwrite the 64 one.
matteosistisette

No way to get it to work.

- booted in safe mode
- uninstalled VirtualBox Graphics Driver
- followed your instructions and replaced the d3d8 and d3d9 dll's in the SYSWOW64 directory with those taken from the installation CD's syswow64. I could replace these without problems.
- I couldn't replace the ones in the system32 directory because I get "access denied" (and takeown'ing and cacls'ing doesn't help) but according to your instructions it looks like the only ones I need should be the 64 ones.

Then I restarted in normal mode. After restarting, Windows automagically (and without asking) reinstalls the drivers for the graphics card, and guess what? It turns out it has reinstalled the VirtualBox Graphics Driver.

So it looks like the one in system32 is the one I need to replace. How on earth can I replace it?

I also read somewhere that the reason why windows won't let me delete it (even in safe mode and even if I takeown it and give myself permissions to delete it) may be that it is used by some process, so finding out which process it is and killing it might help. So I installed Microsoft's ProcessExplorer and searched for a process using d3d9.dll but it doesn't find anything.

I'm completely stuck, I don't know what else to try.
matteosistisette

After repeating the same identical desperate procedure over and over again, something misteriously changed, and when Windows automatically reinstalled the graphics drivers after reboot, it installed "Standard VGA card" instead of "Virtualbox Graphic Driver" (without any apparent reason).

I thought that was it, but no. Even then, installing guest additions failed, as usual.

I never imagined trying to upgrade virtualbox could be such a pain in the ***. Now my guest system is completely screwed up.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I think you may be able to recover this by using sfc/scannnow
I have used the copy and replace and did not have the issue you are having and I have also used sfc/scannow. All in a test install.
If you run the sfc you should, when finished and rebooted (if it does replace the files) run the Windows update checker to make sure that you have all of the latest drivers installed. All of this before you try to install the guest additions.

Note: I do not change permissions, turn off UAC, Etc. on Windows that I test.
stolsvik
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win7

Post by stolsvik »

I've now done everything all posts here recommend - and that damn installer still complains as before.

This is really, really idiotic: I've now wasted several hours, and just to cut this waste, it now seems like the better way to go is to just install a new OS from scratch. Very, very annoying.

How do one ping the developers to take a look at this forum post? It is clearly something that affects several users.

Btw: The issue where all the old drives evidently are kept behind when upgrading is also pretty annoying: Uninstalling one driver, and checking the box stating "delete driver files", but then when you reboot, it'll find an older one. And you have to keep doing this all the way down to the "Standard VGA driver" is all that is left. Keep removing, with reboots inbetween. Mmm, just the way you love throwing away your day.

I've now managed to install the older driver, since that installation (in safe mode) allows you to ignore the fact that the Direct 3D stuff "is broken". But broken it still claims it is.
Jimmy123
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Jimmy123 »

i too had a similar problem

upgrading from d3d driver to WDDM driver seems very buggy indeed

it tried for hours

its easier to just start over from scratch, build a new VM and install WDDM drivers directly

i hope these can be updated more easily
Jimmy123
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Jimmy123 »

forgot to mention, still i can't get aero to work, even with the WDDM drivers

probably the NVIDIA graphic card is the culperit

i am using 4.1.8 on a 64bit win 7 with a 32bit win 7 guest