VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ajjdkrnasnl93m

Re: VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Post by ajjdkrnasnl93m »

No.

On other hand, have tried to also open the guest in Ubuntu host who was the following ram:
Host RAM = 3021 MB
Available = 1520 MB

Same issues
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Hard to say at this point. Late here and I need to run but I will try to pick this up with you again tomorrow if no one else has an idea in the meantime.
ajjdkrnasnl93m

Post by ajjdkrnasnl93m »

When I go to settings for the guest, and go to STORAGE, there is a triangle exclamation point warning on the vmdk. When I hover over it, I see:

Could not open the medium Block 1.vmdk

VMDK Grain Table Inconsistency
Some of the media in this hard disk chain are inaccessible. Please use the Virtual Manager in SHOW DIFFERENCING HARD DISKS mode to inspect these media.

I went to Virtual Manager, but don't see how (in the gui) to get to SHOW DIFFERENCING HARD DISKS
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"Not supported" means that the software does not recognize the disk image format type. That would imply severe corruption.

Running VMs from a removable drive is not recommended - performance will be poor, and there's a risk that you'll forget and remove the drive while the VM is still using it. If you set the drive properties for better performance then the potential for damage is much greater.
Dinkel
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP 32-Bit

Post by Dinkel »

ajjdkrnasnl93m wrote:When I go to settings for the guest, and go to STORAGE, there is a triangle exclamation point warning on the vmdk.
I've the same problem too, but with a copy of a vdi (after copying with clonevdi tool)! :oops:

When I hover over it, I see:
UUID .......of the medium 'X:\blabla\medium.vdio' does not match the value ....... stored in the media registry ('C:\Users\myname/.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml')
Last edited by Dinkel on 20. Nov 2011, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

An exclamation mark in media manager is an entirely different problem. That means that the disk image file is no longer stored in its original (as registered) location. That is caused by the path or file having been moved, renamed or deleted. The CloneVDI tool will do none of these things.
Dinkel
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP 32-Bit

Post by Dinkel »

Ok, and how can i fix this manually? :?

Edit:
SOLVED! :D
leeand00

Post by leeand00 »

Same problem here, I googled it, and found this post.

VirtualBox 4.1.18 r78361

I'm using a vdi file.
Mecjusz

Post by Mecjusz »

I have had the same problem, and after couple of tries I finally solved my problem.
It is necessary to Import a .vdi file to Virtualbox (create new Guest Account with the same name like .vdi file and in next steps choose our .vdi file).
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

"Guest Account"? ... Oh, you mean a VM (a guest).

A VDI is just a disk image, it can't run on it's own any more than a physical disk drive can run on its own - it must (of course) be built into a PC.

I must say that don't see what this has to do with the OPs issue though. Based on your description you certainly did not have "the same problem".
arditi0

Post by arditi0 »

I SOLVED it like this (it occured to me twice):
# first remove the virtual drive from the list at "Virtual Media Manager" (found at File>Virtual Media Manager at tab>Hard Drives ) ,then press close
# second remove the virtual hard drive from the list and re-add it ( select VM and click Settings>Storage ,select and remove the vmdk , to re-add at the same window click the icon with a plus and disk together >Add Hardisk>Choose existing disk > and select your vmdk, save and done )
# Done , now it should work :wink:

It seems that VBox saves a list of virtual hard drives in a DB and when moving the VM in different directory or PC an error occurs :!:
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

arditi0 wrote:It seems that VBox saves a list of virtual hard drives in a DB and when moving the VM in different directory or PC an error occurs :!:
Yes of course. The purpose of mounting a drive in the VM recipe is that VBox records where the file is. How else would you think it knows? How else could it access the file if it didn't know? In any case the question of moving the disk file shouldn't arise - the VDI file should be located in the VM folder if you don't want to stoke up problems for the future. If you want to move the VM then move the VM, not just the disk.
fjleon

Post by fjleon »

Virtualbox really needs to have better error codes. I had this error myself, and turns out it wasn't anything regarding a bad ISO. In my case it was trying to virtualize sound when Windows Server by default doesn't run the audio service.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I can't agree. IMHO VirtualBox has among the clearest error codes I've ever encountered, quite understandable for anyone who takes the time to read the complete error dialog.

Nobody has said that VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED means a bad ISO, it means that (whatever) is not supported. The context is all important: in the context of mounting a bad ISO, VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED can indicate a bad ISO.