Folder Sharing

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tom.rogers
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Re: Folder Sharing

Post by tom.rogers »

could this be because i currently have the virtual network cable disconnected? as you said it is not actually a network and so thought this would make no difference? i have the cable disconnected as don't want to have to worry about antivirus etc and so didn't want the guest os to have internet access. will try mounting through command line now.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2011-10-11 at 01.16.55.png
Screen Shot 2011-10-11 at 01.16.55.png (94.58 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
tom.rogers

Post by tom.rogers »

mounted the share through command line, which executed successfully as usual. then went to my computer, double clicked the mounted drive. then, as usual, the guest went blank and then began to reboot. still not fixed.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I don't know what to tell you. try it with the cable connected and see if that works. Other than that you may need to post a ticket at bugtracker. So the MAC DEV can take a look. Be sure to post the guests log file and as much information as you can so they have enough to work with.
tom.rogers

Post by tom.rogers »

connecting the cable allowed networks to see the share, but the problem still persists. thanks for all your help anyway, couldn't be something as simple as a setting somewhere that isn't allowing access to necessary file or resources or something? although i guess that would be what you were looking for earlier on. thanks again.
tom.rogers

Post by tom.rogers »

Hi again, a quick update and a couple of questions. Been trying a couple of things while i wait for somebody to respond to my ticket. Does that usually take this long?

I tried completely removing the virtual machine and starting again, but this made no difference. I then wondered if the issue could be within the installation of virtual box (seemed unlikely) so I removed the vm, uninstalled virtual box and then reinstalled virtual box and the extensions created a new vm and reinstalled windows. I installed the guest additions and then went about making a new share folder. Thought i may as well try something with a new name and in a new location. I set it all up, opened the folder and all seemed fine. So i navigated away from the folder, returned to the host OS and put something in the folder. Then when returning to the guest OS and opening the mapped drive again, the guest OS crashed as before.

In summary the shared folder is fine as long as it is empty. Don't know if that gives you any new ideas?

Thought I may as well ask while i'm waiting for a reply from the ticket.

Cheers again,

Tom.