Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Tosal

Re: Windows 8?

Post by Tosal »

Bad experience here using VB 4.1.18 r78361 and Windows RTM EN 64 Bit (same with 32 Bit)

Installation works OK
After installation it runs properly WITHOUT guest extensions.

After installing guest extensions the guest hangs (no start screen anymore) after reboot.
This is reproducible.
Same with 32 and 64 bit guest.

Any help is very much appreciated.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Tosal wrote:Any help is very much appreciated.
Wait until the Guest Additions are updated for the RTM build. It won't happen overnight.
kderh

Post by kderh »

Just to let you know, I had the problem that when using the Windows 8 Store App, it often just displayed the wait animation after clicking an entry and finally gave a No Connection / Timeout error message 10 seconds later. This happened on Win8 CP, RP and RTM and with several VB versions.
I played around with the VB settings and changing the network type from NAT to Bridge seems to have stopped the error from happening.

So if anybody has the same problem, try this.

Btw, 3D acceleration generally works pretty well with the latest guest additions, but sadly the Pinball FX2 app doesn't (hangs when starting the game). Fruit Ninja is also a no go. I'm using the VB RC build on Win7-64.
gpicher

Post by gpicher »

I have a non-pirated Windows 8 RTM EN ISO - I'm an MSDN developer - and I am having the same issues with copy and paste not working, Internet Explorer (desktop, not Metro) crashing repeatedly once Virtual Box additions are installed. So something is seriously non-functional. Couldn't recommend using VirtualBox with Windows 8 at this (admittedly early) point.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

gpicher wrote:Couldn't recommend using VirtualBox with Windows 8 at this (admittedly early) point.
But we never recommended it either, did we?
TTC1

Post by TTC1 »

Not adding anything to the conversation but just confirming the problems experienced by others with Guests Additions 4.1.18 as downloaded yesterday.
I stumbled upon this discussion while searching if I was have setup issues, configuration issues or whatever.
I guess I'll have to go to VMWare for this one, unless... Any time frame for an updated Win8 workable version of the Guests Additions?
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

TTC1 wrote:I guess I'll have to go to VMWare for this one, unless...
If you need working Windows 8 Guest Additions today, you'll have to.
Any time frame for an updated Win8 workable version of the Guests Additions?
No time frames, sorry. It's not going to happen today, and it will happen before the actual Windows 8 release.

In the meantime, there is always the option of running Windows 8 in VirtualBox without Guest Additions.
Saamu

Post by Saamu »

Hello!
I just spent in 4.1.2: no change !!!!

Code: Select all

I speak English very badly
Here are the W8 RTM installation log that is dismissed without reason 
because my Host in W7 Ultimate 32-bit 4 GB Ram can install W8 Pro in 32 and 64-bit without any problems. 
I've done installing it to a VHD
 Please help me because I have exhausted all the possibilities!
Well cordially
Georges 

Error 0xC0000260 
with PAE/NX error 0x000005D !!! 

My Log :[attachment=0]VBoxW8Log.txt[/attachment]
Attachments
VBoxW8Log.txt
Log No install W8
(83.23 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Last edited by Saamu on 22. Aug 2012, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

michaln wrote:No time frames, sorry. It's not going to happen today, and it will happen before the actual Windows 8 release.
Is the version in the RC stage now intended to be that release? It's a little vague as to what the improved Windows 8 support is.
piggo
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by piggo »

They are like reticent related with the Windows 8 serious support. First they said they are not pirates so they can't download RTM before MSDN release, then they complained about Microsoft change of code and now they deleyed the Guest Addition fix until the release date.

Considering VMware Windows 8 support is in place from beta stage and they didn't had to even update the VMware Tools in them 8.0.4 official release between preview and RTM and OS works perfectly, I think guys at Virtualbox are at a very early stage of a serious Windows 8 support development compared to VMware.
Tosal

Post by Tosal »

Saamu wrote:Hello!
Same for me. I just installed v4.1.20 r80170 + appropriate extensions.
Result: still does not work :(
Saamu

Post by Saamu »

Tosal wrote:

I just installed 4.2.0.RC1 :
Result : still does not work !!!!!
Bertrua

Post by Bertrua »

If anyone has DESKTOP flicking issues on Win8 RTM, try to disable VirtualBox Graphics Adapter in Device Manager Window.
It's hard to login because of this issue
For me it's only solution (I am using VirtualBox 4.1.20)

Best regards
Tosal

Post by Tosal »

Bertrua wrote:If anyone has DESKTOP flicking issues on Win8 RTM, try to disable VirtualBox Graphics Adapter in Device Manager Window.
It's hard to login because of this issue
For me it's only solution (I am using VirtualBox 4.1.20)

Best regards
Thanks a lot for this tip - it worked: I disabled "3D video acceleration" and enabled "2D video acceleration" :D :D
(hope translation of these controls is correct - I'm using the German version of VB)
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Tosal wrote:
That's what I thought. Imagine the double-take I did when I got to the end of this article and read:
http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php ... virtualbox

"After the installation is finished, switch to the desktop, and start installing the guest additions to get a better user experience. And not like early Developer Preview days, the guest additions get installed successfully and Windows 8 runs much smoothly with it."

Huh?