Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows 8?

Post by Perryg »

@ryleung ,
Problem
On a different note, I continue to have problems trying to get Win8 preview to see the share drive on my host Win7 OS that I've setup under VBox. Normally in a WinXP VM, I see the shared drive under the Network "folder" in Windows Explorer. But now the Network "folder" only shows the Win8 PC itself. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me how you can get the shared folder to appear.
Using NAT you will not see the network shares.
Objekt
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP & 7

Post by Objekt »

Thanks again to Birdie for unlocking the secret of getting Windows 8 to install on Virtualbox. For some reason, if you use the ICH9 chipset and/or SATA controller, the install will get to 98% and then quit with an error message. Use an IDE virtual controller and it works.

Installing the Windows 8 Preview on a virtual machine is the only way to go for now. I don't want to fool with installing it on an actual machine until it's at least an RC (assuming MS goes the same route they did with Windows 7).
ryleung
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win8

Post by ryleung »

Perryg wrote:@ryleung ,
Using NAT you will not see the network shares.
Which version of the guest OS does this happen in? With my XP VM, I am using PCnet-FAST III (NAT), and the shared drive appears under My Network Places | Entire Network | VirtualBox Shared Folder | \\Vboxsvr | \\VBOXSVR\folder name though. :?

Need to play with this a bit more...
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The virtual shared folders rely on the guest additions being installed and actually working. They don't in Win 8 yet.
You could set the adapter to Bridged and see normal network shares, but NAT will not do that.
ryleung

Post by ryleung »

Perryg wrote:The virtual shared folders rely on the guest additions being installed and actually working. They don't in Win 8 yet.
You could set the adapter to Bridged and see normal network shares, but NAT will not do that.
Ah~ That's right. I have Guest Additionas installed with the WinXP VM.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try the Bridged adapter setting and see if I can get the virtual shared folder to work.
jashsayani
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows Thin PC

Post by jashsayani »

Windows 8 installed successfully! Now, does anyone know how to get the Guest Additions installed??

I need proper screen resolution and internet connectivity... Could anyone upload a zip file with drivers. It would be great. Thanks.
neanderthal
Guest OSses: Win7, WinXP, Linux

Post by neanderthal »

jashsayani wrote:Windows 8 installed successfully! Now, does anyone know how to get the Guest Additions installed??

I need proper screen resolution and internet connectivity... Could anyone upload a zip file with drivers. It would be great. Thanks.
I already tried to run them in Windows 7 compatibility mode, but no success.
snoibert
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 11.04 32bit+64bit

Post by snoibert »

Run the guest addition install in win xp compatibility mode install them. But it doesn't work afterwards either.
kajje
Guest OSses: Vista

Post by kajje »

erfg12 wrote:My System > Acceleration tab is greyed out. But i set all the other settings...

I get the error to restart my system..

Hello,

I had also this problem, but i can confirm that you need to enalbe virtualization in your BIOS. I saw someone has replied that solution here and i tried it by myself. At least that is maybe one of many solutions.

Kajje
Globe199
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by Globe199 »

I've also had a problem with the guest additions. Tried Win7 compatibility like another person suggested, and it looked like it was working, but it really doesn't. The two things I'm really missing are not having to use the "host" key and the shared folders not working (\\vboxsvr). I just can't believe there's that much difference between Win7 and Win8 as far as GA are concerned.
ryleung

Post by ryleung »

The Virtual Box shared folder function requires Guest Additions to be installed. Since you can't get that installed properly, I guess shared folders are out of commission for the time being (until Oracle addresses this issue in a subsequent VBox release?)
Globe199
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by Globe199 »

ryleung wrote:The Virtual Box shared folder function requires Guest Additions to be installed. Since you can't get that installed properly, I guess shared folders are out of commission for the time being (until Oracle addresses this issue in a subsequent VBox release?)
Is it possible to publish or download a GA update w/o updating Vbox?
jashsayani
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows Thin PC

Post by jashsayani »

Well, I have seen some people post screenshots in this thread. They are in higher resolutions, which means they have guest additions installed...

I really need internet connection in the VM to use it, and a proper resolution...

Can anyone of the people who have this, upload a zip with drivers? Thanks.
selden
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

jashsayani,

You don't need guest additions to change screen resolutions. Select the size you want in W8's display properties menu and VB will adjust the on-screen size to match. I forgot to change any of VB's display settings from the defaults (minimal memory and no acceleration enabled) and it still worked fine. This is with VB 4.1.2.

I only had about 15 minutes to play with it this morning, so there are lots of things I don't know how to do yet... like getting NAT networking to work. Bridged isn't apropriate in my case, although I found that it works. Worst case, I suppose I could create a virtual disk containing the software I want to test.
Selden
snoibert
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 11.04 32bit+64bit

Post by snoibert »

I solved my problem, with the lagging VM.

The culprit was a device in device manager called "base system device" and in the device manager log I saw it is a driver from virtual box guest additions.
So the culprit for my lags was residue of uninstalled guest additions.