Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 8?

Post by BillG »

Bill
majod
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Post by majod »

hello,

I've also tried win8 to run under my virtualbox and I can't even boot the installation, because it ends with guru meditation error. i have log files and -maybe- there will be helpful for some users/developers...

the booting ends at the beginning with "windows developer preview" black screen

I've tried various settings, this is just one of them

the log file is split to half because of 128kb size limit
Attachments
vbox.log2.txt
actual error
(107.35 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
VBox.log.txt
system info
(46.4 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
snoibert
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 11.04 32bit+64bit

Post by snoibert »

00:00:01.064 2D video acceleration is disabled.
Did you turn on 3D acceleration (and 2D acceleration)?
neanderthal
Guest OSses: Win7, WinXP, Linux

Post by neanderthal »

birdie wrote:OK, I've managed to install Windows 8 in VirtualBox successfully. Here are the required settings:

(Please, retain the copyright and give a link to this message if you repost this information)

Code: Select all

General: OS Type: Other/Unknown

System:  Base Memory=1536MB
         Chipset=PIIX3
         [X] Enable IO APIC
         [ ] Enable EFI
         [X] Enable absolute pointing device

Processor: 1
         [ ] Enable PAE/NX

Acceleration
         [X] Enable VT-X/AMD-V
         [X] Enable Nested Paging

Display: Options don't matter - leave them as is

Storage: Remove SATA Controller
         IDE Controller: Type PIIX2
         IDE Primary Master: HDD 20GB
         IDE Secondary Master: Windows 8 DVD

Audio: Intel HD Audio

Network: Leave as is

Serial Ports: Leave as is (none required)

USB: Leave as is
It worked fine for me too, but with IDE controler set to PIIX4. Network is unfortunately not working.
neanderthal
Guest OSses: Win7, WinXP, Linux

Post by neanderthal »

Update: network works if Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT) card is selected.
The123king
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Haiku, ReactOS, MS Windows, Linux, FreeDOS

Post by The123king »

Worked fine with me just using the defaults for Windows 7 64bit...
majod
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Post by majod »

snoibert wrote:
00:00:01.064 2D video acceleration is disabled.
Did you turn on 3D acceleration (and 2D acceleration)?

yes, i tried all variations, 3D enabled, 2D disabled, both enabled, both disabled,...
selden
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

Bill,

The purpose of releasing Developer Previews is so that developers (like those working on VirtualBox) can get a head start on producing the code which will be needed for the beta and RTM versions of Windows. While there will be some changes in Windows between now and then, they should be relatively small at the driver level.

While we can't expect the VB authors to be able to provide updated code immediately, beta versions do need to be made available relatively soon so the bugs can be discovered by the developers who use VB to develop beta versions of their own software for Win8.

The sooner people can start working on updating their packages for Win8, the better a situation they'll be in when Win8 ships to end-users, since their updated products will be ready then, too.
Selden
Locke
Guest OSses: Win8 Preview

Post by Locke »

Hi!
erfg12 wrote:My System > Acceleration tab is greyed out. But i set all the other settings...

I get the error to restart my system..
I've got the same error on restart the System on my laptop. I imported the machine from my desktop PC. On this PC i've the acceleration tab and both entries are checked. Perhaps the missing hardware virtualising is the reason for this error.

I attach the log (as zip) and the png from the log dir, perhaps someone find a reason for the crash.

Thanks, Karsten
Attachments
VBox.zip
(34.64 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
VBox.png
VBox.png (8.21 KiB) Viewed 20322 times
selden
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

Apparently the current Nvidia graphics drivers work fine under Win8 Preview, so that's good news so far as the driver architecture is concerned. See http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=210184
Selden
gsearle
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by gsearle »

I'm getting the "Need to Restart" black screen as well, even after setting everything as mentioned to get it to work. I wonder if this has to do with the host chipset? I have an "Intel Core i5 CPU 650" with PAE on this PC. Of those who got it working, are you running on an AMD chipset? Something different?

I also realize that I am running VirtualBox 4.1.0 instead of the latest version, 4.1.2. I wonder if that has any bearing on this error?
snoibert
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 11.04 32bit+64bit

Post by snoibert »

I run it with these settings on an Intel core-i5 2500k
It runs fine but my problem is, that it freezes once in a while for 10 seconds and the the VM plays on.
I use 4.0.12 because if I update to 4.1.2 I can't start virtual box any more and get the com module error.

Hirogen
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows 8

Post by Hirogen »

I did get that black screen as well, after i enabled "virtualization" support within the bios, i could install win8 without any further problem

with this tool you can look up if your virtualization is enabled or not ==> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... structions

and here is an overview how to turn virtualization on ==> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... e-bios.asp
sirwerd1
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win8, Chrome OS

Post by sirwerd1 »

teepean wrote:Guest additions seem to install when run with Windows 7 compatibility mode but at least the video driver is not working correctly.

"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (error 37)"
How do you run with Windows 7 compatibility mode?
ryleung
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win8

Post by ryleung »

Woot~ Managed to get Win8 working on VBox v4.1.2 after a couple of false starts. Many thanks to the posters here for their sharing their tips about what works and what doesn't. Here is a brief summary of my experience.

I have been trying to install the Win8 64-bit preview using the MS Windows | Other Windows wizard. The host machine is a Win7 64-bit i5 PC. Initially, I used all the default settings the new VM wizard provided, except that I dedicated 2GB's worth of RAM, 4 out of a total of 8 "CPUs", 128MB video RAM and enabled 2D+3D video acceleration. Win8 proceeded to install without any issues at all, but neither audio nor networking worked.

To get audio to work, I changed audio controller from ICH AC97 to Intel HD Audio (the host PC has some sort of built-in onboard Realtek HD audio with the proper HD audio drivers installed).

To get networking to work, I stayed with the NAT selection, but chose the "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop82540EM" adapter instead of the default PCnet-whatever-it-was adapter.

Problem
On a different note, I continue to have problems trying to get Win8 preview to see the share drive on my host Win7 OS that I've setup under VBox. Normally in a WinXP VM, I see the shared drive under the Network "folder" in Windows Explorer. But now the Network "folder" only shows the Win8 PC itself. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me how you can get the shared folder to appear.