Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
misha

Re: Windows 8?

Post by misha »

Daniel.Pardo wrote:I changed the VirtualBox-Settings to 2 displays and it starts with two windows, one with Win 8 and one black.
My problem now ... Win 8 does not find the second display and remains in single display mode.
You'd need to have VBox Guest Additions installed in the guest to make the dual-screen work.
Since 4.1.8 Additions have some problems with Win8 Release Preview, I'd suggest you to try a trunk test build which contains lots of Win8- related fixes.
I should be able to post a link to a test build to this forum in a couple of days..
(we still have some pending changes needed to be done on trunk, which prevents me from posting the build right away..)
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

tippy9710 wrote:Hello, I'm new to VirtualBox ( about 2 months). I just upgraded to the 4.1.18 version on my windows 7 64-bit desktop. I previously installed Windows 8 (old version)
of the consumer preview. After reading the end-user manual, I cannot find out how to preform an upgrade of the June 2012 windows 8 version. I downloaded and burn the 32-bit iso file to a CD. Can anyone tell me if the upgrade is a new VM I will be installing and should I remove the OLD Windows 8 CP before installing the new one?
Thanks in advance.
I installed Windows 8 RP as a second Windows 8 guest. I don't know if RP can be used as an upgrade installation over CP.

Goog luck, Jim
Daniel.Pardo

Post by Daniel.Pardo »

misha wrote:
Daniel.Pardo wrote:I changed the VirtualBox-Settings to 2 displays and it starts with two windows, one with Win 8 and one black.
My problem now ... Win 8 does not find the second display and remains in single display mode.
You'd need to have VBox Guest Additions installed in the guest to make the dual-screen work.
Since 4.1.8 Additions have some problems with Win8 Release Preview, I'd suggest you to try a trunk test build which contains lots of Win8- related fixes.
I should be able to post a link to a test build to this forum in a couple of days..
(we still have some pending changes needed to be done on trunk, which prevents me from posting the build right away..)
I install it but it seems that i have no luck is like it was never installed y can install it over and over again.
Daniel.Pardo

Post by Daniel.Pardo »

Daniel.Pardo wrote:
misha wrote:
I install it but it seems that i have no luck is like it was never installed y can install it over and over again.
I install it is showing the icon on the tools bar but nothing is not recognizing the second monitor, i did not install the Direct3D.
Andre.Ziegler
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

misha wrote: I should be able to post a link to a test build to this forum in a couple of days..
ok, can you investigate this issue, too? With the trunk build I get other black windows in Windows 8. I see a black Window if I view the solution of an error report in the action center. In this case the Window is black.

Can someone else please look at this issue?

Running xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile doesn't capture CPU Sampling data in Windows 8
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10754
misha

Post by misha »

To all I promised a new VBox trunk test build to test it with Win8 guests:
Below is a link to the trunk test build for Windows hosts, and to extension pack.
Let me know if you need a test build for other host platforms.
Besides the other things, VBox Guest WDDM Video driver now able to function properly for 3D disabled/unavailable case.
Please give it a try.

!!!NOTE that this is a trunk build, which may not be stable since trunk is under a heavy development now, so use it for testing purposes only!!!

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... 82-Win.exe
http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... ox-extpack
misha

Post by misha »

To Perryg: Perry, Assuming you might want to test with a self-built host OSE VBox as usual, here is a link to trunk test build of VBox Guest Additions:

!!!NOTE that this is a trunk build, which may not be stable since trunk is under a heavy development now, so use it for testing purposes only!!!

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... -79382.iso
Andre.Ziegler
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

ok, the new version fixes the black window issue for me (I've tested it with the v2 of the July update for VS2012RC and opened the solution in actioncenter). Thanks :) :)

but, the xperf issue still occurs.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

misha wrote:To Perryg: Perry, Assuming you might want to test with a self-built host OSE VBox as usual, here is a link to trunk test build of VBox Guest Additions:

Yup, I'll install then later this am. Although I have not had any really issues myself with the last ones. One question. Are the wddm8 drivers a lot different, and are they specifically for Win8?
dennisk

Post by dennisk »

misha wrote:To all I promised a new VBox trunk test build to test it with Win8 guests:
Below is a link to the trunk test build for Windows hosts, and to extension pack.
Let me know if you need a test build for other host platforms.
Besides the other things, VBox Guest WDDM Video driver now able to function properly for 3D disabled/unavailable case.
Please give it a try.
Hi misha,

as I'm testing Windows 8 on a Linux host, I would like to ask you for a trunk-build for Linux. Could you please build a deb-package?

Thanks in advance
dennisk
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Perryg wrote:
misha wrote:To Perryg: Perry, Assuming you might want to test with a self-built host OSE VBox as usual, here is a link to trunk test build of VBox Guest Additions:

Yup, I'll install then later this am. Although I have not had any really issues myself with the last ones. One question. Are the wddm8 drivers a lot different, and are they specifically for Win8?
Worked. I had not booted Win8 for a while and with the previous GAs being out of sync with the trunk build I ran into a lot of Windows DM crashes (expected). After the install of the new build of GAs though it worked well for basic functions.
misha

Post by misha »

dennisk wrote:as I'm testing Windows 8 on a Linux host, I would like to ask you for a trunk-build for Linux. Could you please build a deb-package?
Here are the trunk test builds for Linux:

amd64 - http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... _amd64.run
x86 - http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... ux_x86.run
misha

Post by misha »

Perryg wrote:.. One question. Are the wddm8 drivers a lot different, and are they specifically for Win8?
The only new driver added is VBoxVideoW8, which is now used as a Guest Video driver Windows 8 guests.
It differs from VBoxVideoWddm (now used for Vista and 7 only) only in that it operates as a WDDM 1.2 Display-Only driver in case host 3D acceleration is unavailable thus allowing Win8 software-based 3D rendering to come into play.
misha

Post by misha »

Perryg wrote:Worked. I had not booted Win8 for a while and with the previous GAs being out of sync with the trunk build I ran into a lot of Windows DM crashes (expected). After the install of the new build of GAs though it worked well for basic functions.
Great! Thanks a lot for testing.
dennisk

Post by dennisk »

misha wrote:
dennisk wrote:as I'm testing Windows 8 on a Linux host, I would like to ask you for a trunk-build for Linux. Could you please build a deb-package?
Here are the trunk test builds for Linux:
Thanks for the build. For me those black screens are resolved, too.
The automatic setting of the resolution depending on the size of the VBox-window works with WIndows 8 now, too.

I'll further test and come back if I find more issues.