Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Vasily

Re: Windows 8?

Post by Vasily »

Regarding kernel panic, could you please attach output of kextstat (launched before starting VM) in addition to kernel panic.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

misha wrote:
Perryg wrote:..I did notice a flicker during the video driver install but this has always been the case IIRC. Is that what you were talking about when you said explorer crash?
No, what I'm seeing here is that after wddm driver uninstall the explorer.exe process terminates, i.e. no taskbar, desktop icons, <win>+hotkey support until explorer.exe is manually started.
I finally saw something like this. Actually it was after a log time of inactivity. When coming back to life (host was in blank screen due to inactivity) the guest freaked out. Flickering and going all kinds of crazy until WDM finally crashed. I double checked and sure enough I had disabled screen saver on the guest but had not checked the power management. Changed it from normal to high performance stopped the issue from coming back. Other than that it seems really stable for me.
ordej

Post by ordej »

I have came across 2 problems and I don't know if they happen because of the virtual machine or the OS itself.

1st problem:
When you go somewhere else besides the desktop, and you move over the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen, a little thumbnail of the desktop appears.
But when I move the cursor to the thumbnail to click it, it disappears really fast. You've got to be really, really fast with moving and clicking over it so that it works.
 Edit: Oh man, I had to move the cursor up a bit so it goes to darkish/grayish background and the thumbnail stays there until I click it

2nd problem:
The pinball fx game. When I tried it, it was really sluggish, and I mean really sluggish it needed like 5 minutes for all the pictures(the company who made it, ESRB rating etc) to pass and I think i exited. Then I thought it's because I don't have the Guest Additions, installed them and now i can't even start the game. It seems to stop working on the first screen and I'm switched to desktop.

3rd I can't change the resolution O_O
 Edit:  nevermind, switching to fullscreen made the resolution normal aswell

HOWEVER I STILL CAN'T FIX THE 2ND PROBLEM! 

Joey177

Post by Joey177 »

misha wrote:Thanks for the info. Could you also attach a VM log file here?
And yes, you can just keep watching this thread for updates.
I hope this is the right log file, from July 4th.
VBoxSVC.log
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

ordej wrote: 2nd problem:
The pinball fx game. When I tried it, it was really sluggish, and I mean really sluggish it needed like 5 minutes for all the pictures(the company who made it, ESRB rating etc) to pass and I think i exited. Then I thought it's because I don't have the Guest Additions, installed them and now i can't even start the game. It seems to stop working on the first screen and I'm switched to desktop.

3rd I can't change the resolution O_O
 Edit:  nevermind, switching to fullscreen made the resolution normal aswell

HOWEVER I STILL CAN'T FIX THE 2ND PROBLEM! 
Which version of VBOX and the guest additions installed? What is the host os? Which graphic card (real hardware)?
ordej

Post by ordej »

stefan.becker wrote:
Which version of VBOX and the guest additions installed? What is the host os? Which graphic card (real hardware)?
2nd problem irrelevant since that was on the consumer version, I now installed the release preview version and there seems to be no pinball (at least not on the desktop)
3rd problem fixed

The first problem however still exist even though I said it got fixed, that was temporary. It's happening again, that grayish background does not seem to appear and therefore the start screen thumbnail from bottom left corner disappears really fast.

I currently have 4.1.18 r78361 but do not have the guest additions installed(but it was also happening with the latest guest add installed on the consumer preview version) because when I installed them they made the win8 really slow responsive. Are they necessary for my first problem? I think they should not be required for my specific problem. My host OS is win7 32 bit SP1. I have ati 5770 GPU.
 Edit:  I tried installing the guest additions again and the problem of slow responsive OS happened. It take 5-10 seconds to switch between tiles(rolling over the mouse over them only). This seems to screw up the Metro interface only, since the desktop version works fast.

[edit2] the problem of slow responsive OS disappeared after i added more CPUs and more ram to the GPU. But the initial problem still stays :( 
primus
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 8 x64

Post by primus »

Vasily wrote:Regarding kernel panic, could you please attach output of kextstat (launched before starting VM) in addition to kernel panic.
There you go Vasily.
Attachments
primus_3don_kextstat_panic_vboxlog.zip
(20.81 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
--p
Romain Buquet

Post by Romain Buquet »

Hello,
I'm having trouble trying to create a fresh VM for Windows8-ReleasePreview-64bit-English.iso (HRC_CCSA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5).
Windows installation stops asking me for drivers that I don't know how to provide:
Win8 installer asking for drivers.png
Win8 installer asking for drivers.png (82.47 KiB) Viewed 8961 times
I am using the release from the trunk that was posted before on this topic (4.1.51 r78865), but it was the same with 4.1.18 and 4.1.8.
Host is a MacBookPro (mid 2010) running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
VM is a default Win8 64.
VM settings.png
VM settings.png (89.23 KiB) Viewed 8961 times
Hope you can help, and that will help you to make VirtualBox even better :)
Attachments
Windows8-ReleasePreview-64bit-English-2012-07-14-11-03-56.log
(87.83 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@Romain Buquet,
You need to check the checksum of your download. It looks like it is corrupt.

One more thing that you should take care of is install the Extension Pack How to install Extension Pack or make sure you disable USB2 in the guest settings.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

New user here. I am very impressed so far. I have VirtualBox 4.1.18r78361 installed on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS. PC is Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz, 6 GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 with 1 GB memory..

I have Windows 8 CP and RP 64-bit installed in VirtualBox. Guest Additions are installed with 3d acceleration off and 2d acceleration on.

Both installations run with no problems in Window mode at 1152 x 864 resolution.

But, if I try higher resolution, the window ends up with scroll bars. But even worse, If I try to run full screen, the Windows 8 display remains the same size and the rest of the screen is white space. And if I try to drag the window to a larger size all that happens is that white space shows up as a border around the Windows 8 display.

Host resolution is 1680 x 1050 running on a Samsung SyncMaster 226 BW.

Any help on getting full screen mode to work will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
misha

Post by misha »

hawkeye62 wrote:New user here. I am very impressed so far. I have VirtualBox 4.1.18r78361 installed on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS. PC is Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz, 6 GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 with 1 GB memory..

I have Windows 8 CP and RP 64-bit installed in VirtualBox. Guest Additions are installed with 3d acceleration off and 2d acceleration on.

Both installations run with no problems in Window mode at 1152 x 864 resolution.

But, if I try higher resolution, the window ends up with scroll bars. But even worse, If I try to run full screen, the Windows 8 display remains the same size and the rest of the screen is white space. And if I try to drag the window to a larger size all that happens is that white space shows up as a border around the Windows 8 display.

Thanks, Jim
This is a known issue, i.e. the autoresize feature does not work for win8 with disabled 3D.
We have fixed it locally already, and should be able to provide you with a test build containing a fix shortly.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

misha wrote:
hawkeye62 wrote:New user here. I am very impressed so far. I have VirtualBox 4.1.18r78361 installed on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS. PC is Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz, 6 GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 with 1 GB memory..

Thanks, Jim
This is a known issue, i.e. the autoresize feature does not work for win8 with disabled 3D.
We have fixed it locally already, and should be able to provide you with a test build containing a fix shortly.
Thanks for your reply. I couldn't find anything that looked relevant by searching the forum. And this thread is getting so long that trying to read everything is quite tedious.

Regards, Jim
Romain Buquet

Post by Romain Buquet »

Perryg wrote:@Romain Buquet,
You need to check the checksum of your download. It looks like it is corrupt.
Thank you very much Perryg! I don't know how you got this intuition, but indeed it was my download who was broken.
I am very sorry, I should have checked it.
tippy9710

Post by tippy9710 »

Hello, I'm new to VirtualBox ( about 2 months). I just upgraded to the 4.1.18 version on my windows 7 64-bit desktop. I previously installed Windows 8 (old version)
of the consumer preview. After reading the end-user manual, I cannot find out how to preform an upgrade of the June 2012 windows 8 version. I downloaded and burn the 32-bit iso file to a CD. Can anyone tell me if the upgrade is a new VM I will be installing and should I remove the OLD Windows 8 CP before installing the new one?
Thanks in advance.
Daniel.Pardo

Post by Daniel.Pardo »

No one is having issues with dual screen:

I would like to make it work with dual screen.

I changed the VirtualBox-Settings to 2 displays and it starts with two windows, one with Win 8 and one black.
My problem now ... Win 8 does not find the second display and remains in single display mode.

It there a way to change this?
Do I need to change the graphic adapter driver from Windows? And which one is the correct one?
Or is there another trick?

If this question is already answered elsewhere, please forgive me. I searched, but did'nt found a solution for this question.

Have a nice day.

Daniel