Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
misha

Re: Windows 8?

Post by misha »

Tigerman82 wrote:I installed the new 4.1.18 VirtualBox and Extension Pack... as soon as I installed GA, I had trouble..
Note that VBox 4.1.18 does NOT include Win8-related fixes, since they are quite invasive, and hence will only appear in the next major VBox release.
misha

Post by misha »

Perryg wrote:Yup works but video is flakey. Blacks out for a bit and comes back at short entervals (1 to 3 minutes)..
How do you play video: with WMP or with Metro Video player or whatever?
primus
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 8 x64

Post by primus »

Hey,

Is it possible to make OSX build available too? Looks like earlier versions have problems with this new Win8 preview version..

Thanks,

--Mikko
--p
misha

Post by misha »

primus wrote:Is it possible to make OSX build available too? Looks like earlier versions have problems with this new Win8 preview version..
Here it is:

!!!NOTE that this is a trunk build, which may not be stable since trunk is under a heavy development now, so use it for testing purposes only!!!

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... 94-OSX.dmg
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

misha wrote:
Perryg wrote:Yup works but video is flakey. Blacks out for a bit and comes back at short entervals (1 to 3 minutes)..
How do you play video: with WMP or with Metro Video player or whatever?
Actually the video I am referring to is the desktop. Not playing anything in a player.

Note: This only happened with processor count set to 2. If set to one the screen is not flakey.
misha

Post by misha »

Oh, 1-3 minutes? That does not seem to be short intervals.. did you mean to say "seconds"?
Perryg wrote:..Corresponds to OpenGL errors in log file..
What gl errors (warnings) in the log do you think correspond to screen flikery, "OpenGL Warning: Cleared gl error 0x506 on context creation" ?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

misha wrote:
Oh, 1-3 minutes? That does not seem to be short intervals.. did you mean to say "seconds"?
Perryg wrote:..Corresponds to OpenGL errors in log file..
What gl errors (warnings) in the log do you think correspond to screen flikery, "OpenGL Warning: Cleared gl error 0x506 on context creation" ?
After a period of 1 to 3 minutes the screen goes totally black for a few seconds (less than a minute) then returns. There seems to be heavy disk activity during this time, but other than that the screen is totally black. Looking at the logs it seems that the time it goes black corresponds to the gl errors and the clearing of said errors. This happens over and over again but not at exact time intervals. It can be between 1 or 3 minutes. I will generate a log with 1 processor later today so you can compare.

Log from 1 processor:
Win-8-rel-2012-06-20-16-20-40-1cpu.log
(100.72 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
misha

Post by misha »

Perryg wrote:..After a period of 1 to 3 minutes the screen goes totally black for a few seconds (less than a minute) then returns..
What do you do in guest when it flikers? i.e. what apps do you have started, e.g. IE, explorer windows, whatever.. ?
I'm just interested where those context creations come from. Could you check (via task manager) whether you have WinSAT.exe running while it flickers and whether the flickering stops after winsat completes/gets terminated?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I will run these tests later today and let you know. Internet provider is here in a bit to work on my connection.
misha

Post by misha »

RBL3 wrote:.. if you run the Simulator inside Visual Studio to debug a Metro app the screen goes blank and there is no way to go back to Windows 8.
.. The Marketplace test kit does not work with guest additions installed either.
I'm installing a Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate in both Win8_64 and Win8_32 guests currently to try it out..
Meanwhile could you please provide me with exact steps to reproduce your issues? Frankly, I'm not deeply familiar with that Simulator and Marketplace test kit stuff..
Please also specify whether you're running 32bit or 64bit Win8 version. VM log would be useful as well..
RBL3

Post by RBL3 »

misha,

I have attached my log. Look for errors above the "Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'POWERING_OFF'." message as this is where I had to just shut down the VM.

To reproduce the error in visual studio...
(I am running 32Bit with GA installed)
1. Download one of the sample Metro Apps from Microsoft
2. Open the Solution file (SLN)
3. Change the Debug mode from Local Machine to Simulator (there is a drop down arrow next to the debug method on the toolbar)
3. Run application is debug mode.
4 Simulator will begin to start and then the screen will go blank
Attachments
Windows 8-2012-06-20-16-55-08.log
(95.09 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

misha wrote:
Perryg wrote:..After a period of 1 to 3 minutes the screen goes totally black for a few seconds (less than a minute) then returns..
What do you do in guest when it flikers? i.e. what apps do you have started, e.g. IE, explorer windows, whatever.. ?
I'm just interested where those context creations come from. Could you check (via task manager) whether you have WinSAT.exe running while it flickers and whether the flickering stops after winsat completes/gets terminated?
Well you nailed this one. Looks like Windows was in fact running the assessment test over and over again. Once I set it to 1 processor and it finally finished, then switch to 2 processors it worked just fine. I tried to manually run the assessment and it also worked which tells me the actual performance test is what was probably the real issue. I guess that Windows saw the change in GAs and decided to run the tests again.
Jimmy123
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Jimmy123 »

hi guys,

i had the flikkering to in win8 x86
especially when i used IE 10
when i set hardware acceleration in IE 10 to software rendering, it inproved immediatly
also i disabeld hardware acceleration in the flash plugin, that helped for youtube movies
Jimmy
boydd_uk

Post by boydd_uk »

Thanks Misha,

Everything works fine for me with 3d acceleration off, when it is turned on there are block artifacts which flicker on the screen.

Nice to see Microsoft has release next window driver, touchscreen support really gives you a feel for the new os.
Cooperdale
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8

Post by Cooperdale »

With the latest official version nothing changes for me, the screen constantly flashes when using the aero interface. It blinks from black to brown, parts of the UI disappear and then reappear...