Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
misha

Re: Windows 8?

Post by misha »

JoeB77 wrote:Has anyone tried installing guest additions with the new 4.2 release? I had the same black screen issue discussed earlier in this thread when I tried to install guest additions in 4.1.22 (or 4.1.21, I forget). I'm somewhat new to virtualbox and I'm very afraid to try installing guest additions again because it made me have to totally wipe out and reinstall windows last time I tried.

Host: Mac OSX Snow Leopard
Guest: Windows 8 MSDN release from last week

Thank you experts,
Joe
4.2 has lots of improvements related to win8/3D, so your issue should be hopefully fixed.
In any way, the black screen issue should not appear if you instal Guest Additions in a VM with disabled 3D acceleration (uncheck the "3D" box on a "Display" page of VM settings GUI),
so I would first install Guest Additions with disabled 3D and then would try to run a VM with 3D enabled to see if it works with 3D, if you still have a problem with 3D enabled, you could power-off the VM and stay with disabled 3D.

..And please attach a VM log file for a VM 3D-enabled session if you still have issues with 3D.
Tosal

Post by Tosal »

misha wrote: 4.2 has lots of improvements related to win8/3D, so your issue should be hopefully fixed.
In any way, the black screen issue should not appear if you instal Guest Additions in a VM with disabled 3D acceleration (uncheck the "3D" box on a "Display" page of VM settings GUI),
so I would first install Guest Additions with disabled 3D and then would try to run a VM with 3D enabled to see if it works with 3D, if you still have a problem with 3D enabled, you could power-off the VM and stay with disabled 3D.

..And please attach a VM log file for a VM 3D-enabled session if you still have issues with 3D.
Sorry, issue with Win8 is still NOT resolved with 4.2 on my machine. Note that I'm using a VM which I created short after RTM of Win8 - I think it was with 4.1.18.
Disabling 3D acceleration still works as a workaround as before.
Environment: Win7-64 Enterprise, VB 4.2.

Tosal
Attachments
vbox-log.zip.zip
2 Logfiles added:
With 3D acceleration active --> Win 8 hangs
With §D acceleration disabled --> Win8 works
(39.32 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
xasx
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP/Server 2008R2/7/8/2012, Gentoo, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Oracle Linux, Fedora, Arch

Post by xasx »

JoeB77 wrote:Has anyone tried installing guest additions with the new 4.2 release? I had the same black screen issue discussed earlier in this thread when I tried to install guest additions in 4.1.22 (or 4.1.21, I forget). I'm somewhat new to virtualbox and I'm very afraid to try installing guest additions again because it made me have to totally wipe out and reinstall windows last time I tried.

Host: Mac OSX Snow Leopard
Guest: Windows 8 MSDN release from last week

Thank you experts,
Joe
Hi Joe,

I also tried 4.2 and was not able to properly install guest additions. Installation does not go past a certain point, I think this is right after the VGA driver installation.
I will now try with a clean Win8 installation since this might be related to me having a RC version installed before. If this won't work either I'll report it back.

Regards

UPDATE: After a clean install I was able to properly install Guest Additions.
s.e.t.i.

Post by s.e.t.i. »

I was able to install the latest VB Guest Addditions 4.2.80737 on Win8 PR Build 8400 x64. Installed it right after I configured a base x64 machine with mostly defaults.

One problem I ran into is a weird hang when during a reboot after I turned debug mode on (bcdedit /debug on; bcdedit /dbgsettings serial debugport:4 baudrate:115200). It hangs and BSOD's. I had originally set the VM to use 8 processors (running Intel Xeon 12core). I scaled back to 1 processor and the system boot up just fine and I'm able to break into the machine just fine.

If somebody can let me know the type of logs/dumps to provide for analysis (I'm fairly new at this) I'd be happy to.

Vic
hannibalstgt

Post by hannibalstgt »

Hello,

I do also get the black screen requesting a power down of the machine.
Error Code: 0x0000005D Parameters: 0x00000078BFBFF, 0x0000028000800, 0x0000000000000, 0x0000000000000

I use a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit host system and I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphic card.
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme6/A/ASR
BIOS: AMI (American Megatrends Inc) P1.80 und Marvell 1.0.0.1027 Datum: 2011_03_16 17:07:47 Version 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30 GHz (4 CPUs)
Main storage: 4 x Corsair 8192MB RAM CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB DIMM DDR3 PC312800U
Installed are the most recent graphic drivers: 12-8_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc.exe - downloaded today (09/16/2012).
Size of file: 145.5 MB Version 12.8 Release date: 8/15/2012

I have followed all the recommendations for the virtual machine settings - but the error remains :x :x :x

Has anybody a similar system and was successful in installing Windows 8 RC.

Regards
Wolfgang
MDHolle

Post by MDHolle »

I was enable to get Window 8 RC to work with Guest Additions on a Windows 7 host. As most have mentioned, the key is to uncheck Enable 3D Acceleration in the Display properties of the virtual machine BEFORE you download Guest Additions. Then i used Windows 7 compatibilty mode to download Guest Additions in the Virtual machine.

Now I am running Windows 8 full screen on a 1366x768 laptop. Note: Guest additions will not give you 1366x768 mode as a choice. You will need to add the choice through VBoxManage as described by cybervzhn in this thread.
misha

Post by misha »

To all seeing BSODs with Win8 please upload a minidump to ftp://ftp.oracle.com:/appsdev/incoming and drop me a mail to mikhail dot sennikovsky at oracle dot com specifying the uploaded minidump file name. Note that this directory is write-only for security reasons.
hannibalstgt

Post by hannibalstgt »

hannibalstgt wrote:.........
BIOS: AMI (American Megatrends Inc) P1.80 und Marvell 1.0.0.1027 Datum: 2011_03_16 17:07:47 Version 04.06.04
A reason for the black screen might be, that in the AMI Bios the
advanced option
No-Execute Memory Protection is not enabled.

If you get the black screen and you have an AMI BIOS enable this option and try the installation again.

Regards
Wolfgang
Michelin

Post by Michelin »

Hi guys,

I just installed the latest version of Virtual Box and GuestAdditions (4.2.0). What I am trying to do is to run some automation tests on a Windows 8 Guest machine. The host is Windows 7.

How can I autologon to the the guest machine? For a Windows 7 guest machine, I used the command: vboxmanage startvm. But it seems to me that this does not work for Windows 8.

The other issue I am experiencing is with file copying to the guest machine. Again, the command vboxmanage guestcontrl <machine name> copyto <file host location> <guest file location> <credentials> works perfectly for Windows 7, but an error message is thrown for Windows 8. This is the error message:
VBoxManage.exe: error: File copy failed
VBoxManage.exe: error: Copying file <filename> failed with status 500, exit code 1
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005), component GuestSession, interface IGuestSession
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "int __cdecl ctrlCopyFileToDest(struct COPYCONTEXT *,const char *,const char *,unsigned int)" at line 1335 of file VBoxManageGuestCtrl.cpp

Any ideas how could I have the autologon and file copying working?

UPDATE: Has anyone managed to auto logon to Windows 8 guest machine? :(
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Auto Logon: No problem. Create a user with no password and install classic shell. Then you starts directly with the desktop and have a start menu.

Better than the crappy standard.
tpskinner

Boot problem

Post by tpskinner »

I am still not able to boot win 8 rtm or rc. I am now certain that it is a VB issue as I can boot from a DVD on my hardware and so there is no BIOS issue such as PAE or NX for my CPU. I am running on a Dell Studio 17 with with an Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 Ghz. and 4 GB memory.

I have both win 7 32 and 64 bit OS's on my system. I have VB 4.2.0 on both OS's and I have both 32 and 64 bit versions of win 8. Here is what happens when I try to boot with all VB default settings using four combinations.

32 bit win 7
32 bit win8 boots to Error Code 0x000000ED
64 bit win 8 boots to recovery screen indicating no 64 bit CPU
64 bit win 7
32 bit win8 boots to Error Code 0x000000ED
64 bit win 8 boots to recovery screen indicating no 64 bit CPU

So the host OS seems to make no difference. I think the 64 bit problem is that the T6600 CPU does not support hardware virtualization, but it is interesting that it boots differently.

Not sure what else I can do to help.
Comrad
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Win, Linux

Post by Comrad »

Hello!
I have Win7 64bit on Acer notebook with the latest BIOS available.
I'm trying to install Win8 as guest OS and have known error: your pc needs to restart...
Utility coreinfo says that NX is off.
My CPU u3400 has this feature, but I can't check if it is enabled in my BIOS, because BIOS is too simple and hasn't such options.
But I could make bootable flash and boot Win8 directly on my PC, so I think NX is enabled on my PC.
So why VB doesn't work with Win8 guest?
Maybe there's some software way to turn on that NX in Windows host?
Thanks in advance
hannibalstgt

Post by hannibalstgt »

Comrad wrote:Hello!
Utility coreinfo says that NX is off.
NX must be set enabled (on) in the advanced settings of the BIOS of the Notebook.

If you don't know how to do it, please contact your dealer that has sold the notebook or Acer support directly.

ACER: You can use the DEL or F2 key after switching on your system to enter BIOS setting screens.

Wolfgang
Comrad
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Win, Linux

Post by Comrad »

hannibalstgt wrote: ACER: You can use the DEL or F2 key after switching on your system to enter BIOS setting screens.

Wolfgang
I'm not newbie in computers :)
I know how to enter BIOSes.
When you've seen notebook's BIOSes last time?
They build very simple ones now in most cases, there are only some menus like info, boot device and password.
That's all!
Also if NX bit is an Win8 requirement, I still can boot from flash drive and install Win8 directly on my notebook.
But not in VirtualBox.
So I assume that's a VB issue or maybe some my Win7 issue.
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Post by saberman »

Host: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
VB 4.2.0

Created a brand new VM for Windows 8. Attached the Windows 8 RTM ISO to the machine and started it. Got a black background with a blue window divided into four parts. Closed the VB control GUI so only one .exe was running. It was using over 50% of the CPU available. (For hardware specs see attached coreinfo output.)

Finally powered down VM. Burned a real DVD from the ISO image and ran setup from it on the host. Killed it after it asked for language.

Booted the host hardware machine from the DVD. Saw the blue window, the swirling circle and the processing percent. Killed it before it did anything to the host.

Attached the DVD drive to the guest in place of the ISO image and started it. Saw it reading from the DVD and then it went into the same CPU loop.

Conclusion: The ISO image and DVD are fine and work with the host. There is a problem with VirtualBVox.

I have attached the coreinfo output which describes the hardware on the host, the VirtualBox log, the VM log (I indicated the point in the VM log where I powered off the VM) and the VM definition. The VirtualBox log has:
00:00:29.765000 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE (0x80bb0002) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={Machine} aText={Machine is not locked for session (session state: Unlocked)}, preserve=false
00:00:30.998000 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={SessionMachine} aText={Saved screenshot data is not available (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false
at the point where the Windows 8 VM was started.

Edit: I will upload the VM definition seperately as I can only attach three files.
Attachments
VBox.log
Windows 8 VM Log
(84.04 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
VBoxSVC.log
VitualBox Log
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
DeskTop.txt
CoreInfo Output
(4.1 KiB) Downloaded 42 times