Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
misha

Re: Windows 8?

Post by misha »

Perryg wrote:Well you nailed this one. Looks like Windows was in fact running the assessment test over and over again. Once I set it to 1 processor and it finally finished, then switch to 2 processors it worked just fine. I tried to manually run the assessment and it also worked which tells me the actual performance test is what was probably the real issue. I guess that Windows saw the change in GAs and decided to run the tests again.
Thanks for the info! It should not flash while running the assessment, and I have some ideas why it flashes and how to prevent that. Will have a look into that..
misha

Post by misha »

Cooperdale wrote:With the latest official version nothing changes for me, the screen constantly flashes when using the aero interface. It blinks from black to brown, parts of the UI disappear and then reappear...
Like I said above, most Win8-related fixes will only be available in the next major VBox release, i.e. will not present in 4.1.x.
If you want to try the fixes though, you can download the test trunk build using the link I posted above.
misha

Post by misha »

boydd_uk wrote:Everything works fine for me with 3d acceleration off, when it is turned on there are block artifacts which flicker on the screen..
Is it with the test trunk build I posted above? If so, please attach a VM log and if possible some screenshot describing the problem.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

misha wrote:
Perryg wrote:Well you nailed this one. Looks like Windows was in fact running the assessment test over and over again. Once I set it to 1 processor and it finally finished, then switch to 2 processors it worked just fine. I tried to manually run the assessment and it also worked which tells me the actual performance test is what was probably the real issue. I guess that Windows saw the change in GAs and decided to run the tests again.
Thanks for the info! It should not flash while running the assessment, and I have some ideas why it flashes and how to prevent that. Will have a look into that..
Let me know and I will test that as well. From what I see this is working better than it has. I have tested most of the apps and they seem to function properly. Full screen video (The video app this time) works pretty fair too, lots better than it ever has, just an occasional jerk and pixel drop here and there. Sound crackles a bit for me, but always has on this test box (Sun Toshiba laptop).
misha

Post by misha »

Jimmy123 wrote:i had the flikkering to in win8 x86...
On which VBox Host & Addition version is this?

To ALL: Guys, please provide the exact VBox Host and Additions version you're running to avoid ambiguities!
And please include VM logs when reporting issues with the trunk test build I posted!
Jimmy123
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Jimmy123 »

misha,

my version is 4.1.8 and the GA where those from this tread 4.1.51

and indeed the slowness was gone

and the toolbar on the right appeared again

so definitely an improvement...

Jimmy
Jimmy123
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Jimmy123 »

i forgot to add

an ongoing issue i had was the fact that when i use full screen in full resolution (1080x1920) the mini toolbar from VB disappears, i do have Aero in win 8

i must confess that i also have this issue in win 7 and vista guests
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

misha wrote:
Perryg wrote:If you post a GA build for Linux since I can't build Windows GAs in Linux, I will test it against my build from SVN.
Sure, here it is: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... -78687.iso

Note that trunk additions REQUIRE trunk host VBox installation to work properly.
No idea what you have changed compared to 4.1.18.

I installed that version in a win 7 guest. And now aero is working again in the combination Linux Host 64 Bit (Mint 13), Radeon Graphics with free driver, VBOX 4.1.18. It worked before with version 4.1.12, it stops working with some changes from 4.1.14.

So please hold these changes for 4.1.20 or further versions.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

stefan.becker wrote:
misha wrote:
Perryg wrote:If you post a GA build for Linux since I can't build Windows GAs in Linux, I will test it against my build from SVN.
Sure, here it is: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... -78687.iso

Note that trunk additions REQUIRE trunk host VBox installation to work properly.
No idea what you have changed compared to 4.1.18.

I installed that version in a win 7 guest. And now aero is working again in the combination Linux Host 64 Bit (Mint 13), Radeon Graphics with free driver, VBOX 4.1.18. It worked before with version 4.1.12, it stops working with some changes from 4.1.14.

So please hold these changes for 4.1.20 or further versions.
Stefan,
As misha said they would only work if your Linux version was from the trunk.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

No, they work better as last versions. And i run them with VBOX 4.1.18. Since 2 versions before aero does not work any more (Win Vista/7).
misha

Post by misha »

stefan.becker wrote:No, they work better as last versions. And i run them with VBOX 4.1.18. Since 2 versions before aero does not work any more (Win Vista/7).
If I get you correctly, you're running additions from the trunk build I posted under VBox 4.1.18. This *might* work, but could as well lead to misbehave since interface between guest and host has been changed in trunk.
misha

Post by misha »

Jimmy123 wrote:..an ongoing issue i had was the fact that when i use full screen in full resolution (1080x1920) the mini toolbar from VB disappears, i do have Aero in win 8 i must confess that i also have this issue in win 7 and vista guests
What is your host OS? We've fixed a similar issue for ATI on Windows Vista and later sometime ago, which was caused by ATI drivers bug..
If your host is Windows Vista or later, I could easily extend the fix to non-ATI as well and give you a test build to try if it solves your issue.
misha

Post by misha »

RBL3 wrote:..if you run the Simulator inside Visual Studio to debug a Metro app the screen goes blank and there is no way to go back to Windows 8..
I've reproduced some weird behavior when running the Simulator in VS.. Investigating it and will get back as soon as I have some results. Thanks a lot for your report and for the steps to reproduce you gave.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

misha wrote:
stefan.becker wrote:No, they work better as last versions. And i run them with VBOX 4.1.18. Since 2 versions before aero does not work any more (Win Vista/7).
If I get you correctly, you're running additions from the trunk build I posted under VBox 4.1.18. This *might* work, but could as well lead to misbehave since interface between guest and host has been changed in trunk.
You understand correctly. And I know what you mean.

But what should i do? It works. :)

For me the last versions (4.1.14-4.1.18) does not work in the combination Linux64 Host/Radeon/FreeDriver/Windows 7+Vista guests with Aero.

With the trunk version of the guest additions and version 4.1.18 on the host i now have aero back again.
scenox

Post by scenox »

Hi guys,

when I install Guest Additions on Windows 8 (Guest and Host), the screen resolution from guest is changed and I get an alternating blue/black screen (2 seconds blue, 2 seconds black) .

Here is the log: pastebin. com/xYKWuWkR

What is the problem?

Edit: I have an ATI Radeon HD4850 graphics card.